SlotForum banner
3421 - 3440 of 7093 Posts

·
Gordon Steadman
6,987 Posts
I'm quite sure that most people that buy cars in the UK couldn't give a monkeys and wouldn't even notice.

A problem with being into mechanical things is that the details matter and are noticed. Don't take it too personally, all that really matters is money.
smile.png

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Anyone else find eBays starting to dissolve into Facebook Marketplace?

I've lot count of the number of Non payment claims I've had to file in the past 6 months or whinges and whines about postage etc not taking into account theres more to it than what you pay Royal Fail.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
And another thing...................

Why do car company's advertising agents take pics and make vids of cars for the UK market that show LEFT HAND DRIVE CARS!
mad.gif

For your in formation we drive on the left here and most cars are RIGHT HAND DRIVE!
ohmy.png
Is it just me having selective memory or did the turn signal lever migrate to a different side when UK entered the EEC/EU or whatever?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Is it just me having selective memory or did the turn signal lever migrate to a different side when UK entered the EEC/EU or whatever?
Varies by Manufacturer as a mate back in College had a Hyundai with it the oppisite side, pretty much always been on the left in everything I've driven though including the Humber Sceptre which was a 1963.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Varies by Manufacturer as a mate back in College had a Hyundai with it the oppisite side, pretty much always been on the left in everything I've driven though including the Humber Sceptre which was a 1963.
I'm in Thailand (RHD) and have a RHD Suzuki Carry/APV which is made in Indonesia (RHD). My turns signals and headlight switch is on the right and the wiper controls are on the left.

If I remember corrrectly? Classic Mini turn signal stalk was also on the right.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It was certainly round that time. IIRC the early mk3 Cortina had the indicator switch on the right and at the time the car was facelifted (1973) the wiper switch was on the right and the indicator on the left. Although (again, IIRC) the Hillman Avenger didn't get the same treatment until it had it's second facelift and was rebranded as a Chrysler in late '76.

I'm taking my anorak off now..............

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
She Who Is Given to Fads has unilaterally announced a severe diminution in our meat intake for 2021. (Heard it all before). Yesterday, with this latest command in mind, I chucked vegetable curry into the evening trough.

Apart from the usual overkill of additional chillies and garlic, there were sprouts, cabbage and onions in abundance, their earthy taste having been masked by mango chutney.

Bet we're back to normal by the weekend...

(A familiar illustrative image below).

Attachments

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
You're quite right, Gripping. I seem to recall, however, that artichokes were banned after the last episode. I fed them to unsuspecting guests.

The consequences resulted in a conjugal Force 10 being administered to yours truly. Took me days to recover from several bouts of suffocating laughter.

"Very coarse. So very coarse. I don't know what she sees in him." Sgt Wilson.

·
Kitbasher
4,611 Posts
Many years ago my wife created what was called a 'duvet lifting experience' for ourselves and our dinner guests, Stilton Soup.....

Said guests are still friends and still laugh about it
unsure.png

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Only had two cars with the stalks the wrong way round. One was my Renault, a 18TS, the other my first Kia Picanto, the original model. My latest Picanto has them the right way around but I now find that after 14 years of the wrong way I now can't give someone a quick institive headlight flash
mad.gif
, instead the get a left or right turn.
dribble.gif
Maybe in another 14 years I will be back to normal
biggrin.png

As to lack of signals I think this has been mentioned before but the current instruction rules say that you only need to signal if there is someone or something to warn that you are going to maneuver. Which explains why some drivers will put their indicators on at the very last moment and only when they see another vehicle but not for pedestrians or cyclists
grump.gif
censored.gif
grump.gif
. I learnt to drive when a lack of signal use meant a failed test and I still signal at every junction, when entering and leaving roundabouts including the mini ones and changing lanes, even if I can't see another road user or pedestrian. Mind you having had a motorcycle for about 25 years it probably helped to reinforce the use of signals.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,987 Posts
I had the same training but since living in France, I only signal when I know there is someone that can see it. Round here, most of the French don't even bother with that!

I also straightline bends where I can see it's safe but that has been discussed here already. I did that from the start though.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I think this has been mentioned before but the current instruction rules say that you only need to signal if there is someone or something to warn that you are going to maneuver. Which explains why some drivers will put their indicators on at the very last moment and only when they see another vehicle but not for pedestrians or cyclists
grump.gif
censored.gif
grump.gif
. I learnt to drive when a lack of signal use meant a failed test and I still signal at every junction
That ^^^ was the case 45 years ago, when I took my test. ................However, when I did the IAM advanced test 2 years ago I got marked-down for excessive use of indicators (still passed, though). :wacko:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
When I had my motorcycle I always took the straightest line while following the advise in the advanced motorcycling training book. This wasa to move to the outside of the lane for left hand bends and turns and the inside right hand turns and bends to give the largest field of view. This made straight lining even easier. I still do the same with my car in fact I have always tended to drive my cars the same as my motorcycles. I therefore control my speed with the throttle pedal, I hate the term accelerator, and only brake to stop or give a warning that I'm slowing down and use engine braking whenever possible on hills. This is probably while I only had one change of brake pads in 14 years with my last car.

It's not even as if you have to pay to use the indicators
biggrin.png

Why call the right hand pedal an accelerator?
grump.gif
. It controls the throttle so it can increase or decrease the engines power and RPM and gives control of the engine.. An accelerator speeds things up, you don't slow things down with an accelerator
mad.gif
. Even the term gas pedal, although better as increasing or decreasing the gas flow indicates control of the engine, is incorrect as in most vehicles the throttle only controls the air flow these days and not the fuel flow.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I still had it normal aka do it regardless when I did a AA thing to make sure I wasn't going to mow anyone down with the Delivery van, mind you I own a BMW so they expect me to not know what an indicator is, how to use it or what it tastes like, I dunno if it was an M option but my car does infact have them properly and not just with the park anywhere button.
The one I do, although not so much now as I only tend to drive occasionally in the Old Man's Kuga, is to phantom clutch when going to downchange.

As to artichoke artillery fire I tend to find fried food has a worse effect, I once managed to clear the top deck of a Bus with one woman screaming in a fit of complete disgust and rage while I tried desperately to keep a straight face so they didn't know it was me.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
What restless my cage is this; there I am sitting at 70mph in the near-side lane of one of our Motorways with other vehicles in the outside lane passing me when some witless toss-pot comes steaming down the slip road to the Motorway and tries to force me over to let them in when it is clear that there is nowhere for me to go due to the traffic in the outside lane! They then proceed to flash their lights and sound their horns as well as making rude and inappropriate hand gestures. I have passed my IAM test twice, once in 1983 and again after letting membership lapse in 2006. I have done Bike Safe courses and Star Rider courses and please correct me if I am mistaken, but nowhere have I ever read or heard that traffic coming onto a Motorway from a slip road has priority over traffic already on the Motorway? Don't get me wrong, I will move to allow someone entering the Motorway when traffic conditions allow, but these morons really annoy me!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just as bad as people who try to join at 40MPH, I always thought the slip road is there to let you adjust your speed to match the traffic flow and slip in to it.

Did you get the idiot doing 50MPH in the middle lane forcing you to move to the outer lane to overtake before going back to the inner?

3421 - 3440 of 7093 Posts