SlotForum banner
3441 - 3460 of 7323 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That is part of why they want to add Motorway use to the Driving curriculem before you pass your test, people don't realise that its not just effectively joining a road but you also need to match the traffic speed.
Lane disaplineis another one that you'd think theyd acctually know with dual Carraigeways but I've lost count of the times I've found dawdlers or even trucks who should know better sat in outer lanes as they either cant be bothered to come back over or have under estimated what the vehicle can manage.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Why do truck drivers doing 1MPH more than the truck in front need to try and overtake going up hill on a dual carriageway? The number of times I've seen them finally have to pull back in behind the other truck as they end up being slower on the climb.>

·
Eddie Grice
2,410 Posts
My motorway grump as follows:-
Since retirement/old age kicked in I've taken to driving at 65/70 in the NS lane where traffic density permits.
I find when doing this I get folk in middle lane catching me quickly until they get alongside or just in front then slow down? I eventually have an HGV looming up in front of me and have to ease off & drop in behind the centre lane ditherer overtake in the third lane then back to NS.
The process then starts all over again?
Eddie

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I dunno if it was an M option but my car does infact have them properly and not just with the park anywhere button.
It was definitely an option on cars that came with the M/// badge fitted that weren't really proper M cars - ie M3, M5.
wacko.png

artichoke artillery fire
LMFAO!
lmfao.gif

Why do truck drivers doing 1MPH more than the truck in front need to try and overtake going up hill on a dual carriageway? The number of times I've seen them finally have to pull back in behind the other truck as they end up being slower on the climb.>
..........After holding-up an ever-lengthening queue of faster traffic.
grump.gif

My own latest bad driving grump....... Bloody idiots driving at 40mph on a rural road with a limit of 60, who then drive through a village with a 30 limit without slowing down.

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
It was definitely an option on cars that came with the M/// badge fitted that weren't really proper M cars - ie M3, M5.
wacko.png

LMFAO!
lmfao.gif

..........After holding-up an ever-lengthening queue of faster traffic.
grump.gif

My own latest bad driving grump....... Bloody idiots driving at 40mph on a rural road with a limit of 60, who then drive through a village with a 30 limit without slowing down.
My oh my I echo that one, I have lost count of the number of times I have been held up by someone doing 42 mph in the country lane and then dissapears into the distance when we get to a village... still doing 42mph GRUMP
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Stu my old girl is a proper M, some argue the last of her breed being a N/A 6 with minimal bells and whistles.

Oh the Truck thing bugs me no end, for the most part they are stuck sub 60mph anyway so as long as they are moving they are keeping time but no that little impatience bug hits and they'll pull round and cause a nice fat tail back, and I can speak from experiance as the type of Van I had was 56 limited (it'd slow itself down too) and loaded you could see your speed cut in half on hills and it wasn't for lacking tourque so I made the effort to read ahead and know what it could do so I didn't cause those issues and kept good time.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
That ^^^ was the case 45 years ago, when I took my test. ................However, when I did the IAM advanced test 2 years ago I got marked-down for excessive use of indicators (still passed, though).
wacko.png
How ridiculous.

It makes so much more sense to indicate whenever you're about to change direction at any 'hazard point'. If you get into the habit at an early stage in your driving experience you'll do it automatically, and won't waste time and mental effort actually THINKING about it if you have to.

In addition, it's all very well indicating when you see others who may need to know you're changing direction, but what about those you CAN'T see, who may still need to know?

The IAM needs a re-think.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Only just spotted the Country lane grumping, yeah that can be annoying but you really do need to drive to conditions on them and I've been amused where I've backed off to avoid incident and someone takes that as the need to come around as I'm not going fast enough for them, they'll try and come around or speed up only to nearly cock up because of the reason I've slowed for.

That being said I may owe some Villages and apology or two
biggrin.png

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
How ridiculous............

.........The IAM needs a re-think.
I was also marked-down for being "too cautious" in not attempting an overtake on a narrow country road. The vehicle in front was doing 45-50mph and the road is NSL. IMO I would have needed to exceed the limit to get past within my line-of-sight, and would likely have needed to have my offside wheels on the verge because the other car was using a lot of road. It's the sort of manoeuvre I might attempt, but not with someone else in the car - particularly when that someone else is a police inspector conducting an examination of my driving skills.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Some seem to forget lanes arent always 2 vehicles wide, which is why theres passing points and it's up to the driver in front to pull over to allow you to pass (it does happen but never try to force them) and some bends can be completely blind.
I remember one occasion I did it properly, lane was wide at this point so it was safe and straight for a while, signal and pull around and as I'm side by side the d^^khead thought it was funny to speed up which wasn't the brightest idea as a bend was coming shortly, did get around safely though but it could have gone horribly wrong.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I was also marked-down for being "too cautious" in not attempting an overtake on a narrow country road. The vehicle in front was doing 45-50mph and the road is NSL. IMO I would have needed to exceed the limit to get past within my line-of-sight, and would likely have needed to have my offside wheels on the verge because the other car was using a lot of road. It's the sort of manoeuvre I might attempt, but not with someone else in the car - particularly when that someone else is a police inspector conducting an examination of my driving skills.
Does the IAM have rules that say you MUST overtake if at all possible?
ohmy.png

That seems a trifle OTT to me, but then I never have been a big fan of the IAM anyway.........

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Earlier this year I was going home on a major A road in a built up area, getting on for about 11.30pm with cars speed limit set to the 30MPH limit. This car then pulled out of a side turning ahead and proceeded to do about 20MPH. After a short while when the road markings allowed I decided to overtake, without kicking down past the speed limiter. This did not appear to be to his liking as he then speeded up and spent the next 5 minutes up my rear.
grump.gif
censored.gif
grump.gif
censored.gif

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
I took the IAM test as it reduced my insurance premiums on a fast Alfa by a considerable amount. I have always applied what I learnt there, especially the bit about giving driving 100% attention. So many people seem to be operating on auto these days, perhaps the cars seem too safe nowadays.

People in the car with us think that Ronnie and I aren't talking for some reason. When I drive I try my best to concentrate on the road.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I took Pass Plus to do that, first Motorway I ever drove on as the A1M was still carraigeway for the bit I drove was the M25, and I think that somewhat helped me get completely ok with Motorway driving.
I used to get moaned at for being a miserable sod too (well I am just not for that reason) but the extra concentration is needed these days as standards in general are slipping and these more vehicles now than ever before.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
standards in general are slipping
.......Which is why I wanted to do an advanced course. I probably didn't research it properly first - I thought it would be more safety-based (although IAM will try to tell you their's is...). With the benefit of hindsight I might have been happier with ROSPA's course/test. TBH, I don't think I'll bother renewing my IAM membership this year.

I took the IAM test as it reduced my insurance premiums on a fast Alfa by a considerable amount.
The first time I had to renew on my BMW X3 having the IAM pass made no difference to my usual insurer's premium, and IAM's "preferred" insurance partner wanted considerably more than my usual insurer.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It only maybe makes a difference for about a year from what I've seen, I averaged about £4-500 last time for normal cars I looked but it's been nearly 2 years since I last took care of the insurance (Old Man's been doing it since I got hurt) so it's likely different now, best way to look at it is just improved skill and understanding while driving.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Does the IAM have rules that say you MUST overtake if at all possible?
ohmy.png

That seems a trifle OTT to me, but then I never have been a big fan of the IAM anyway.........
As far as I know, no, the IAM doesn't say this, however, there are several in my local group, SWAM, of which I am NOT part of, who say exactly this, they call it "making progress" and insist that you should ride at the speed limit for any given road. It was at this point that I parted company with SWAM (South Wales Motorcyclists).

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
As far as I know, no, the IAM doesn't say this, however, there are several in my local group, SWAM, of which I am NOT part of, who say exactly this, they call it "making progress" and insist that you should ride at the speed limit for any given road. It was at this point that I parted company with SWAM (South Wales Motorcyclists).
If on a motorcycle always ride just a bit faster than the rest of the traffic. That way "you" are incharge of the situation and not at the behest of other drivers.

3441 - 3460 of 7323 Posts