SlotForum banner
3461 - 3480 of 7323 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
"making progress"
This ^^^ is what I kept hearing/reading while I was preparing for my test. .......And, yes, they said you should drive at the prevailing speed limit. IIRC part of the reasoning is that if you are driving as fast as you're allowed you aren't tempting other drivers into making errors due to them being frustrated at your slowness. The flip-side of this is that you should get past slower traffic as soon as it is safe to do so so that you don't fall into the frustration trap.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Does "The Great IAM" as my father called it advocate indicating to show that you are not going to crash into the back of a parked car? That has always struck me as a stupid signal as it is identical with the manoeuvre performed when turning across the traffic and therefore directs the car following to pass on the inside - a very bad idea in this case.

About forty years ago when I was more current on IAM advice, I always found it sensible and based on logical reasoning. Indicators were to be used when it was not obvious to other road users what you were going to do, e.g. if you are in a dedicated left or right turning lane, it is not necessary to indicate. Why else would you be there?

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Indicators were to be used when it was not obvious to other road users what you were going to do, e.g. if you are in a dedicated left or right turning lane, it is not necessary to indicate. Why else would you be there?
So you can jump a queue and cut in in front of everyone else at the last moment of course.

I drive a short distance on the A14 north of Cambridge every day and it is a very common occurrence.

Cheers.

Mick.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Queue jumping is particularly offensive to most Brits. Bill Bryson relates the true story of an armed bank robber who marched up to a bank counter to demand money. He was jostled aside by the indignant queue and told in no uncertain terms to get to the back and wait his turn. He fled.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
if you are in a dedicated left or right turning lane, it is not necessary to indicate. Why else would you be there?
So you can jump a queue and cut in in front of everyone else at the last moment of course.

I drive a short distance on the A14 north of Cambridge every day and it is a very common occurrence.
It happens a lot around here as well.
sad.png
During peak periods, turning left from a dedicated straight-ahead lane and forcing your way into the queue of vehicles turning left from the correct lane is a very popular manoeuvre.
wacko.png
This has a knock-on effect of holding-up vehicles that are going straight-ahead where their exit is clear - compounding the problem.

Lane discipline is a thing of the past.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,021 Posts
Strangely, out here, people cutting in doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Basically because the French don't seem to give way for anybody. Being the gent I am, I quite often back off and indicate that another driver might like to proceed and I get looks that say "are you nuts or what?" They don't drive on the right out here either, they drive in the middle of the road. At first I assumed it was because they were all blind and needed to follow the white line - which they never break on roundabouts - but it seems to be the way they are taught.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Strangely, out here, people cutting in doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Basically because the French don't seem to give way for anybody. Being the gent I am, I quite often back off and indicate that another driver might like to proceed and I get looks that say "are you nuts or what?" They don't drive on the right out here either, they drive in the middle of the road. At first I assumed it was because they were all blind and needed to follow the white line - which they never break on roundabouts - but it seems to be the way they are taught.
Had that exact same scenario in Italy a few years back... allowed someone to exit from a junction into the queueing traffic that I was part of. He looked absolutely gobsmacked!

If I had not of let him in, he would, I am pretty certain, still be waiting to join the highway now.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Think it's time the highways agency started using the electronic road signs, when there's not an important message to convey to remind drivers to use the inner lane.

I always know when I'm back in Essex as I will normally be the only car in the first lane when using the M25.

I don't really see the advantage of making a lot of the motorways 4 lane as the middle lane only drivers seem to move out to lane 3 and youi still have as much trtaffic forced to use the outer overtaking lane.

I always amazes me how many people will just stay in the middle lanes and if the come up to a slower car just slow down and stay there until the other car moves out of the lane.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Indicators should be used for that manoeuvre!
biggrin.png
But not if you're driving a BMW fitted with an M/// badge it doesn't deserve, or any Audi, it seems. Around here they just push-in from the wrong lane and if you don't let them in you get the Sir Alex Ferguson "hairdryer" treatment at best or your car damaged at worst.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Always indicated without question, generally don't push either, small blemishes can still run about £300 due to a premium clapped on it and if you ask insurance it'll be pushing a grand for the excess, the Faux M badges however that can get parts out a scrappy however may be a different kettle of fish and Audis are generally just VW's in a posher plain suit and knowing this seems to make them more aggressive.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well it is, literally the platforms the same with the only exceptions being stuff thats a bit more extreme, that being said the big scary V10 got itself in the multiple models.

The only VW product I'd 100% be intrested to try is the Sausage as supposedly it supposed to be one of the best in that regieon of Germany and can be ordered via the VW parts system.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I always know when I'm back in Essex as I will normally be the only car in the first lane when using the M25.
I thought it was just me who noticed that about Essex.
biggrin.png

I spent a lot of time working at Ford's Tech Centre at Dunton just off the A127, and en route there I'd often be the ONLY car in the left hand lane for 3-4 junctions, usually going faster than the ones in the RH lane. Until I got to the exit for the Ford place and all of a sudden loads of the right hand laners dived into my lane, with many of them looking amazed that there was someone already there!
biggrin.png

Many areas seem to have their own local driving foibles, around the Forest of Dean it's the 'constant speed driver', usually doing 40-45 mph everywhere. 30 mph limit, they're doing 45, 40 mph limit, they're doing 45, 50 mph limit, they're doing 45, 60 mph limit, they're doing 45 too. Madness.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Good old Essex, my Mother you wouldn't know by looking at her is an Essex Girl, my Old Man acctually sounds more Essex despite being a Welgar boy but much of that side has been living around it for years and I'd naturally get the tales of going down Southend front, usually with something from Dagenham.
Herts tbh isn't much better, they've cracked down on speeding but dawdling, lane abuse and just general motorised imcompetance is rife.

3461 - 3480 of 7323 Posts