SlotForum banner
3481 - 3500 of 7366 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Manic mindless lane changing has been around forever, but does seem to be getting worse as exits pop up suddenly when you are talking or texting on your cell phone.

Generalized ignorance about manual transmission cars and how the start from stops affects brake signals caused me to be rear-ended a while back. Stopped on a level grade waiting for the light to change, and having only two feet, let off the brake to work the clutch and was promptly smacked from behind. The driver saw my brake lights go out and assumed that I was immediately pulling away. She had no clue. And don't get me started on drivers stopping six inches from my rear bumper on uphill grades. I'm good, but don't enjoy testing my skills quite so frequently.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Never complain about the standard of drivers here drive in Rome or Paris that sorts the men out from the boys i can tell you, you will never have to go on a fairground ride to get excitment anymore , you have drivers to the left of you drivers to the right of you , drivers behind you with their hands glued to the horn and the one's on the right want to go left , the one's on the left want to go right , and the geezer behinds you want's to go through you.

And there you are in a strange city in a strange car , making a decision in a split second where you are trying to go, oh and the police in Rome at junctions you sit there as he's sqatting fly's with his hands , the locals know what it means but a stranger ?, nope we have it easy over here.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,025 Posts
Never complain about the standard of drivers here drive in Rome or Paris that sorts the men out from the boys I can tell you, you will never have to go on a fairground ride to get excitment anymore , you have drivers to the left of you drivers to the right of you , drivers behind you with their hands glued to the horn and the one's on the right want to go left , the one's on the left want to go right , and the geezer behinds you want's to go through you.

And there you are in a strange city in a strange car , making a decision in a split second where you are trying to go, oh and the police in Rome at junctions you sit there as he's sqatting fly's with his hands , the locals know what it means but a stranger ?, nope we have it easy over here.
When I was MUCH younger, I had an Italian girlfriend and when I stayed over there, I used the family Alfa to get about Milan. Entertaining is the extreme
smile.png

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
When I was MUCH younger, I had an Italian girlfriend and when I stayed over there, I used the family Alfa to get about Milan. Entertaining is the extreme
smile.png
Extraordinary! Me too! My traffic memory is of picking up a hire care at Linate airport in the dark and having to drive and navigate through Milan with a street map on my knee. She was of course a motor sport fan and having been born and raised in Brescia, remembered watching the Mille Miglia as a child. That impressed me greatly.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
A propos of nothing in particular, I've wondered this afternoon as a result of a motorized sojourn to the village shop, if there are folk left in the English-speaking world, other than Scots, who continue to pronounce the letter 'h' in words like 'whisky' and 'white'.

In Herefordshire, the letter 'h' is rarely pronounced in any context, but this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has visited... Herefordshire.

Most interested to discover your views, please, as per...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Depends on the bits of Hertfordshire you're in, if it's a more well spoken area you will get proper pronounciation but where the commuter hubs are aka where London has taken over you get sort of a Cockney-Essex mix as in Dawrn Sarf mate innit ware der avin a larf innit kind of speak.
I go slightly like it when agitated but usually I sound posh apparently much to the annoyance of one of my former colleagues with the same first name when I would be requested.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Al

I agree. That little jaunt around the A de T down the Champs Elysees was always 'fun'. But not quite in the same league as my once-regular taxi trips from Stuttgart Airport to Zuffenhausen.

One particular trip in a Merc during a frightening rain storm remains memorable. The driver, who was clearly mad, seemed to bear a grudge against the speedo needle dropping below 150kph.

I would not like to repeat such a journey without a crash helmet, 6-point safety harness and half a bottle of Scotch...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I suck as a passenger regardless of speed, I'll always Phantom brake or brace even if the driver is fairly competant so I'd usually stick to being the driver bacK when I could and still will on short jaunts.
150 KMPH isn't that fast mind, its only about 90ish MPH which a lot will do these days even on UK Motorways, you just don't want to be doing it on narrow roads.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I suck as a passenger regardless of speed, I'll always Phantom brake or brace even if the driver is fairly competant so I'd usually stick to being the driver
Me too! As a passenger, the only driver I've ever been able to relax with was Mrs.Stu-the-first - and I always put that down to me being her first driving instructor. I'm the first to admit that by the time she got some experience after passing her test she was a far better driver than me and never once made me nervous. .......And I can't even say that about any of the Advanced Drivers I've sat alongside.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Rightly or wrongly down many decades, I've judged the cultural health of a nation by the quality of its bread.

It was surprising to discover yesterday that, at long last, there is growing evidence (scant though it is), that Brits are beginning to catch on. Butter might even be next.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Couldn't agree more John, was only ever a pillion passenger a few times but I hated it. Mostly it think because I would try and lean to the point that I would take any corners which ended up being to far or wearst of all not far enough. In cars I'm a fine rear seat passenger but not that good a front seat one. I know the main reason why but it still doesn't help, problem is that the off set view I get of the drivers line always makes me think the the car is over the white line. Crazy as I know the reason and still I don't feel comfortable.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
There is no one on the planet who knows what automotive fear is until they've been sufficiently misguided to sit as a passenger with uncle Bonkers at (what's left of) the steering wheel of his Land Rover.

A few miles on the narrow, twisty road to Hay-on-Wye, and back, is the ultimate in terror.

Apollo 13? Amateurs.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This morning we had some shopping delivered, I refused 3 loaves of bread we never ordered as they aren't ours. An hour later a bloke in a car from the shop turns up to give me the bread, I had to explain again they aren't ours, why dont they understand? Great service though

3481 - 3500 of 7366 Posts