SlotForum banner

4881 - 4900 of 4965 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
The BBC reports today that a car parking space has sold in Hong Kong for a record 1.3 million dollars. Yep, the world is slightly more mad than it was yesterday.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Months ago I bought a TeamSlot white body kit, ..............Some of the small parts are missing, blah, blah.......
I bought a Scalextric interior to modify - job done!
I decided to make a start on the waterslides today. They're from a supplier I hadn't bought from before, and they're rubbish. The only other supplier of decals for this particular model is Atalaya, and after the hassle I had with them not responding to my claim for non-receipt of the last decal sheet I purchased from them (over £20 down that particular drain, IIRC) I'll not buy from them again.
Body painted and ready for assembly. Rolling chassis built-up. No livery.
I've lost enthusiasm for this one. It's now right at the back of the queue, and will probably never be finished unless or until Rallye-Miniatures or LeMans Decals add Audi Quattros to their product lists.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If the problem is with the decals braking up you could try coating the with 2or 3 coats of Microscale Liquid Decals or similar.
Thanks for ^^^ that. It's not the problem, though. The quality of the print is poor. For example, the white decals on the 1:1 car are not white, but clear, and the red bodywork they should be on is actually part of the decal sheet. It wouldn't be very much of a problem if the red ink didn't turn rose pink when the decal is applied to the white model.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The BBC reports today that a car parking space has sold in Hong Kong for a record 1.3 million dollars. Yep, the world is slightly more mad than it was yesterday.
Hong Kong dollars = about 92,000 quid?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
American dollars, Abarth. I think the Beeb reported that the sum paid for the parking space is roughly £930,000.

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
I'm OK with the new format - no real problems navigating it (I really don't need the first page "recommended" section - I know where I want to go. That said, I have two issues - one small, the other very large:

Previously each topic in the list showed not only the title "Scratchbuilding" etc. but also a capsule of the latest post - I could tell without opening the topic if there was anything new since my last visit - not a dealbreaker but why?

More importantly, the previous version had a button or option along the top row on the left side (forgotten what it was called) that I could click and bring up the files of an older version and access all of my galleries - that seems to be gone (and I assume all the galleries with it)

EM

·
Electric model car driver
1,352 Posts
The 'Recommended Reading' section at the bottom of each page is so far out of touch, although I read somewhere about their algorithms matching it to what I enjoy reading. I think it's just a way of dragging old stuff up so we'll spend more time here, which doesn't work for me, so we're effectively exposed to more advertising so they can make more money. The adverts don't work for me as I've opted out of personal advertising so they just through a whole lot of carp at me that I'm not interested in, but the biggest bonus for me is that I want to spend less time here anyway.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Oh! I didn't spot the tractor tyre. :love:😋 ;)

Reactions: Trisha

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Local hospital paramedics put their usual drill into practice three weeks ahead of my uncle Bonkers' belated Christmas party.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I suspect they've got a few straight jackets ready for the Christmas party next to the plasters, bandages and the paramedics supply of whisky.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I reckon they need some Tin hats as well just incase of Fallout.

Weathers gone melting again, popped to a small local Car show and while enjoyable it was that right level of hot and muggy to make sweat poor and the bugs have a party.
Did make me miss being on the exhibition side, wasn't fussed about trophies but just the atmosphere and the mooching for bits in the autojumbles.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
How dare they? 🤬

Today I visited the local pound shop to get some cheap gaffer tape to clean the tyres on my cars. I got 4 9metre rolls and a pack of cheap short life batteries for my Ninco lap counter.

Tonight I found out the new rolls are 7mm narrower than the previous rolls I bought there but its still the same tape, same length and same price. Why narrow it? Brexit? Or an opening in the market for narrow gaffer tape that loses it stickiness after 30 minutes?

Yours indignantly

Matthew

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cost effectiveness, they've probably figured out they can squeak out an extra roll somewhere by making it narrower, get the same joys with their postal supplies.

I slept a stupid amount today and was further grumbled by an abundance of watchers not buying anything on ebay again.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Twice during the course of yesterday I was made grumpy by people's attitude towards mobile 'phone usage. This has cropped-up before and will doubtless do so again.

In the morning, I answered the front door to one of Wor Lass's friends. She'd driven from the other side of town.
(In panicky voice) "Is everything OK? I've been calling, but she's not answering!"
Me: "Everything's fine, she's gone shopping so she's probably not able to pick-up. Did you try the house 'phone? I've not been anywhere and I haven't heard it".
Her: "No I didn't".
Me: "Well, there's your answer. You could have saved yourself the drive".
She's done this more than once before. Every time I've told her the same..... "If she doesn't answer her mobile, try the house 'phone."

In the evening, both of us were upstairs in her study on a Zoom meeting. When we finished she picked-up her mobile which had 4 missed calls, an SMS, and a Whatsapp message from her daughter - all within the space of 10 minutes. Daughter was starting to panic because the 'phone wasn't getting answered. To be (slightly) fair, she also tried the house 'phone several times but we couldn't hear it from the study.

Both were only calling for a chat.

Why the **** can't people understand that, even in 2021, there are other people who aren't constantly tied to their 'phones because they have better things to do and they might not want to be disturbed for a while???

Mobile 'phones can be useful, I've had to resort to them a couple of times in emergency. But they really should be just that - emergency use only. .........And if they don't get answered it isn't an indication that there is anything for the caller to panic about.

·
re member
4,019 Posts
Perhaps Stuart. I told my son I was happy with my dumb phone and my laptop. He said that the smartphone was both...your laptop in your pocket. Slowly but surely I am coming round to thinking he was right .

4881 - 4900 of 4965 Posts