SlotForum banner

4921 - 4940 of 4965 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Many more than one here, Grumpy. I was banished today. Mrs Grumpy hosted a mid-day trough for her chums. I scarpered in advance in the hope of finding sanctuary at the old homestead. Instead of expected banter about life, the universe and Land Rovers, I discover the usual four octogenarian idiots re-united, post-Covid, in the barn.

Bonkers, the Brig, Parson, and ol' Judge were seated upon old spud sacks, beaming smugly, and looking upward. They had rigged an ancient grain auger, at about 60 degrees from vertical, and had bound it to a roof beam with... and get this... string!

"A new game, don'tchyaknow, d'ya see? Climb to the top without falling awf into the 'muck' below (polite version), and they (Christmas party guests) win a (presumably unopened) bottle of Scotch," said the ol' Judge, who continues to imagine that 'hospital' is a noun, (diminutive) of hospitality.

Bonkers and the Parson were joyously overwhelmed with the new scheme, and for once, said little, while the Brig mooted the idea of lubricating the auger with gearbox oil. They screeched with laughter. I left...

Note to self: calculate compensation payout to victims' families, send floral tributes to same and purchase small houseboat near Tasmania or similarly remote location.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That malarky is no good to me, in its current (excuse the pun) state. I need a car that will do at least 350 miles without the need to stop for an hour or more to fully recharge
That exists... Most Tesla models and fast charging that only takes 15-20 minutes---

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Can you ask party guests to sign a liability waiver/indemnity? Too avoid potential lawsuits arising from injury at the dangerous party. Maybe check all guests have written wills and have life insurance to cover damage to farm implements.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Matthew

Your suggestions are excellent, of course, but there's one snag. In law, disclaimers don't, and can't, exclude liability for negligence, and I can't imagine how even the most mindlessly optimistic defence lawyer could persuasively argue how encouraging party guests to climb up an auger, greased with gearbox oil, could amount to anything other than gross negligence.

I think my best bet is a one-way ticket on a very slow boat to Easter Island.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I dunno. Negligence suggests that you know of or cause a danger of which the other party is unaware, and fail to warn/protect them. Hardly likely in this case I think - except for the string.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Surely follow the old ‘Motor Racing is Dangerous’ waiver with ‘Messing Around With Augers is Dangerous’ or some such . . .

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not going to lie but it sounds fun, dangerous but fun.

Dunno what did it my the right side of my face in on fire, got chronic ear ache and jaw ache and my nose keeps streaming, I don't even go anywhere to pick anything up.

·
Electric model car driver
1,352 Posts
They want me to modify some Covid sign in stations so that the feet aren't trip hazards. I reckon the only trip hazards are the feet of the people walking past them.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm grumpy as I'm returning to work today after 2 happy weeks at home. I really don't want to go, my colleagues may speak to me about something negative (and not slot car related). 😭

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Spent part of 'smorn being grumpy as my electric grinder started making the kind of noise that most electric tools do before they expire, so I prepped a picnic and drove five miles to the Black Mountains of Breconshire to eat. Mrs Grumpy complained. Sheep droppings on the grass - everywhere. I advised her to eat her sandwiches, as they taste better than sheep manure... but it didn't improve her mood.

Pic below from picnic site. In the far distance (left of centre) are the Malvern Hills which, paltry as they are, mark the highest natural feature between Hereford and Moscow.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Inactivity in this thread recently suggests that Grumpies have given up being grumpy and become happy. Very rum.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As every farmer knows there is always the weather to complain about. Seems we went from too cold to paint to too humid. The greenhouse bails me out when cold, but nothing really to do about this soup we’re in. Stalled weather front for over a week now.

·
re member
4,019 Posts
I almost liked a post made above

·
Registered
360 Posts
Spent weekend visiting family on the other side of the country, meeting new granddaughter, enjoying fine company and weather and the usual five and a half hour return journey took an hour less, so have had nothing to be grumpy about.

Until today, that is, with idiots on those damned electric scooters, travelling the wrong way on one-way streets, or two up, or on the pavements, or . . .

Grrr . . .

·
Electric model car driver
1,352 Posts
First we had Donald Gump and then some knob in the UK, now we've got a dickhead here in NZ saying "you're fired". Can't they come up with something original rather than copying rubbish from other places? Time to fix some toy cars.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
This morning I received an email notification from my anti-virus software supplier that my subscription would be automatically renewed shortly. It is for multiple computers, but now I only have one connected to the internet so I wish to renew but on new (much cheaper) terms. No can do.

I have to cancel the existing subscription and start a new one. Cancelling has been made deliberately ambiguous by them asking the question "Are you sure you want to cancel?" My response would be yes, but the options are "continue" or "cancel". These answers can be read either way - continue with your cancellation or continue with your subscription, cancel your cancellation request or cancel your subscription. There is no acknowledgement of what has happened with either choice.

I therefore tried to email them (there is of course no telephone number) and their own software prevents me from accessing their site, saying that it has detected an untrustworthy site! Grrrrr.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went through some nonsense like that with AVG - can't remember how, but I eventually tracked down a phone number and had it sorted in minutes . . .

4921 - 4940 of 4965 Posts