SlotForum banner
5661 - 5680 of 6727 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
We used to start tractors with 12-bore shotgun cartridges, whether or not the battery was flat. A good system. It's difficult to argue with a 12-bore cartridge.
Wrapping a rope around the PTO pulley and pulling also worked. :unsure: If you had a couple of mates handy.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Using a Hydrometer, that is something I've not done for years now atleast on a battery as most of my batteries have been sealed and Battery testers have been easy to access.
A lot of Modern Cars dont use a wet Cell battery anymore either as Stop Start can cause damage to them necessitating a Gel type insted.

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
After tedious ablutions this morning I sauntered into the kitchen to make a mug of tea, as is my custom. Mrs Grumpy had vacated the building a few minutes previously having left a bizarre surprise.

It occurs to leave her broomstick leaning against the ensemble in readiness for her return, but probably best not to, eh? I'm already in enough trouble. Still haven't had my hair cut.
Food storage containers Drinkware Serveware Mason jar Salt and pepper shakers

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
The battery case had it's own primitive, but full time specific gravity tester built right in. In retrospect, brilliant!
I love the US way of doing things! This is a great idea which I have never seen in the UK. Of course, it requires some intelligence and knowledge in the user. Both seem to be in short supply these days.

I go back to the days when each battery cell had it's own little screw cap and when you were doing the regular oil and coolant checks you would take of each cap put you're syringe in and take a reading for each cell, if you couldn't get any liquid out to test then time to top up with deionised water.
I go back to when it was distilled water! Again though, it required some intelligence etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
There is also a much later remake without Britt Ekland, only seen the original

Deionised / distilled are the same to most people and most would use the latter as the wife/girlfriend/mother probably had a bottle for the iron. Then there was the soft blue square plastic bottle for car batteries only which probably had the form.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Theres incidently an Iron Maiden song called the Wicker Man too, the remakes not worth tracking down or even giving space it seems given the one on my ebay page has been sat there years now.
Those gravity testers were here just not common as places will make a bit of extra money having you come and get it tested insted, the water I used to get from a hardware store for a pittance.

Got a call this morning from the NHS lot, they want to make the appointment in Enfield a phone appointment which means they will likely do bugger all as usual.
My finger joints are still swollen much to my annoyance too, I can type but holding tools and stuff like pens is a nuisance which means getting on with things can't happen.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
I'm grumpy the reason for this grumpiness.. Hermes again.

I've got a slot car coming, not in any rush for it but

16.10 Tues dropped off at parcel shop
18.38 Tues having problems collecting parcel , sender asked to contact them urgently
20.20 Tues We've got you parcel and processing it
07.55 Weds further updates to follow
07.56 Weds we've received the parcel
05.29 Thurs Your parcel is at the local depot
10.13 Thurs Your parcel is on it's way today
11.42 Thurs Local courier will deliver today between 15.00 and 17.00 today, so I stayed in all afternoon.
16.47 Thurs sorry we're unable to deliver your parcel today, it will be delivery on the next working day
Friday Nothing, no delivery no website updates
next possible delivery day is Monday, if I'm lucky, but I will be out during the afternoon

They really are a 🚿:poop:

I think if had to arrange a delivery and Hermes was the only option I would drive there or even strap to by cycle's carrier and deliver it myself.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The whole country has gone to S----t cannot get anything sorted, had a e mail from Royal Mail Tuesday telling me i had a package coming,Wednesday, had a e mail Wednesday telling me it will be delivered between 9-59 and 12-59 was it hell as like since then silence and no B package /
Went shopping that was interesting no black refuse bags, ok try somewhere else they had none either nice lady said to me we've had a run on them , went to garage to get some fuel, they didn't have any waiting for supply but had not arrived.
Now we come to Hermes used to get e mails like beardy but no longer , nothing, not even the B review they kept sending me by e mail about their service which has recently gone down the toilet, so still have no idea where a parcel is i ordered 2 weeks ago.
My doctor did not do the jab for the first two so used the local chemist , Bojo the clown keeps telling me to get the booster so i phoned that number, and was told i should have received a letter ? , thinking about it not seen the Postie for 8 days, she said that's ok i'll take your details ? but she already had them , but being nice spent 20 minutes giving her mine and the missus again , and were booked in for mid November.
So it,s no use the useless government ministers prattling on about it if people can't get it as no B knows what their doing , ah that's better a very large glass of single malt just came through the door attached to the missus , so something is right after all.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My Herpes have been bad for years, usually when it shows theres a problem its because the package has been damaged so bad its opened, if people insist I use them I make them agree that I have no further responsibility in the matter as it is against my advice and agreed service.

My Bil dropped off the P***weasel earlier as being small, dodery and deaf (the dog not the Bil) he's likely to get trod on or into something he shouldn't at the Halloween party that they are holding at my sisters house tomorrow and he's escaped his nappy thing three times and christened his bed.
I also became suddenly aware my watch braclet was hurting me and came to the realization both wrists are like balloons, I'll shuffle up to the Pharmasist monday and get them to take a look if they are still bad.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I love the US way of doing things! This is a great idea which I have never seen in the UK. Of course, it requires some intelligence and knowledge in the user. Both seem to be in short supply these days.

I go back to when it was distilled water! Again though, it required some intelligence etc. etc.
The vagueries are becoming clearer. The glowing eye was a General Motors A/C Delco thing according to my last three braincells.

Unless it can be wired via a USB, todays folk cant be bothered.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Parcel deliveries..............

On the 8th of this month, I ordered an item which was claimed by the seller to be sent "Free two day delivery" by Royal Mail Tracked 24. My order went in on a Friday, so on the following Monday I checked the online tracking. That took me to APC's website. OK, fair enough, I can live with that - as long as my parcel arrives I don't care who delivers it. At that point the tracking had one entry;- "Friday 8th October - Order received". It also noted that a 24hour service was requested.

And so it stayed until late on the Wednesday afterwards, when the tracking was updated to "Item collected", or something similar. Oh, joy! I should get it on Thursday. Wrong!

I should add, at this point, that I wasn't that bothered about when I got the parcel because it was one of those things that I ordered when I thought of it, not when I needed it. But that's not the point.

On Monday 18th, I contacted the seller and told them the tracking had stalled and what do they advise. I got a brief reply, "We will look into it".

Tuesday 19th, I got an e-mail. "Your parcel is out for delivery, it will be delivered 12hr50 - 13hr50"! At 14hr00 I got another e-mail. "Your courier is experiencing delays, but your parcel will be with you today". It wasn't. By the close of play, the tracking had reverted to "Friday 8th October - Order received".

Wednesday 20th, I checked the tracking again. This time I got something like "Please enter a valid item number". I triple-checked and it was the correct number.

Thurdsay 21st, I did some investigations and discovered that in my area APC use a third-party courier company. I checked the tracking again and now it said the parcel was "out for delivery" early in the morning every day since Monday. I tried to call the couriers, but they never picked-up.

Friday 22nd, I contacted the seller again and as of today I'm still waiting for a reply. I also tried to call APC, but I got fed-up of waiting for them to pick-up.

Saturday morning I contacted the seller again requesting a refund. I also e-mailed APC telling them exactly what I thought of their 24hour service, and their third party couriers. This was at 10hr00ish. By 12hr30, my parcel finally arrived - in a private car, delivered by someone who was "on my way home after my shift".

And there you have it. 24hour service morphs into 2 week service. :mad:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Keith

The time for politicians growing up has long since passed. We can only hope that they are one day banished, and that power is transferred to sensible folk like, for example, Captain Haddock and Tintin. They couldn't make a worse job of things.

Could they?
Dont forget the Camel …if everything fails at least there would be cigars for everyone…and chunks of Porsches seats too😉

5661 - 5680 of 6727 Posts