SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
'till I was a teenager I don't think I even knew where the front door key was...it was never locked , how times change!!
Maybe cuz you had scheit cars? :-D

Regarding false accusations: They did a full-day workshop at our kids' elementary school called "social training". Now my daughter was in an "integrated" class where 6 of the 18 kids had special needs. Everything from being a slow learner to physical and mental disabilities that require a dedicated person to help.

The class was very harmonious and the kids were very conscientious.

So they do this "training" and every day some kids tells some other kid they are f*ing stupid, f*ing ugly, f*ing stink etc. because the "learned" that everyone has the right to say whatever they want whenever they want.

No in secondary school it has spilled over to if someone even looks at you cross-eyed they immediately go to a school counselor to complain. And because of being "duty-bound" they go through the whole rigamarole with having "clear-the-air" meetings etc. Officially the teachers are not supposed to get involved but we had had enough and pointed out that this is detrimental to the cohesion of the class and to the learning environment. The teachers were shocked SHOCKED that kids were bringing up supposed altercations that happened as far back as 6 months ago and that the worst offense was, and I quote "she said something to someone that I heard and it made me feel sad...".. I am not kidding you!

So reading about your friend it does not surprise me because when people go to school and experience things like that it is no wonder!

Luckily here in Germany a judge can throw out a case fairly easily as there is a clause that a civil suit must have "at least a 51% chance of winning" before going to court so giving people the middle finger, calling them bat guano crazy to their face etc. does not take up peoples' time and money but it is a trend here and it is frustrating.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
@Stuart: Don't get me wrong. Bullying does happen. I was a victim of it and I weighed the same at 9 that I did at 16. To this day I have health issues down to my being obese at such a young age and I ate because I had no friends and was picked on because I "talked funny" (I grew up in a very rural "town" of about 800 inhabitants that is about 400 miles from where I ended up going to school).

If there is someone who fights for the underdog that is me!

My point is that sometimes things get blown out of proportion and sometimes we get handed solutions that are in need of problems.

Our school systems "social training" only taught kids to jerks. It also did not teach them to even attempt resolve things themselves. They may have had good intentions but the missed the mark IMHO.

I sure hope your friend's daughter gets some resolution.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Ok I dont usually get out of sorts but the other day I was racing at a club meet, and I do,respect the marshalls. I dont comment on their speed or attention span or cell phones, I leave that to,the host.
However when you get the marshalls standing at a corner with nowhere to put there hands, they tend to lean on the guard rail with thumbs or fingers hanging over onto the track are and wiggl8nt the blighters all around to some tune in their heads that no one else can hear.
I find it distracting to say the least as the movement on the track I associate to another racers car but then the damn thumbs or fingers state yo do the jig and throw my concentration off. I would sooner they keep their hands in their pockets and play pool than distract my attention whilst trying to concentrate so my car dosent deslot.
The only things that should be on the track are the cars, keep ypur bl00dy hands off the track
Ok rant over
Bob
There was a guy who was slot car champion in Germany and a lot of people claimed it was because his wife marshalled and always had.... revealing clothes on.... and when she had to reach waaay over to pick up a car people got distracted....

Oh what people will say when the lose...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
My dad only had a high school diploma and worked his way through an engineering degree after working on the line for years.

When he was an executive they brought in new blood all the time and he had a filing cabinet full of attempts to "improve" things and explained why it didn't work the last time.

We have that where I work too but it is usually because of sycophant politics that may eventually destroy us...

We have dodged bullets before here... we have more Doctor titles than all hospitals within a 20 km radius combined and they sometimes come up with the stupidest ideas for the products...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Having received health services in the US, Finland, France and Germany I can see why EM says the US is best... IF you can afford it and that is the problem. The culture doesn't save or rather it saves for the wrong things. My cousin and her husband have never had insurance (well not until recently) and when she got pregnant the hospital set up a system like a "Christmas club" for them where they kept paying money in right up until the birth. I think they had to bring in about 10k USD$ to start and when one birth went badly (kid was OK in the end) it went up another 5K USD$ (total 15k USD$).

She received no pre-birth consultation apart from some info from her gynecologist and no post birth consultancy apart from a few vaccinations at the doctor.

They both work 2 jobs. She has a learning disability so high-paying jobs are difficult to get. The work as hard as they can and they are not too smart with their money: They have (large) dogs, drive gas guzzling pick-ups, leave the TV on in every room ALL day and night (because the dogs like it). They eat "out" a lot (OK is McDonald's eating "out"?) but they don't through a ton of money out the window.

If they had had insurance things would have been a lot better and some of the health issues their kids have would have been diagnosed earlier. She doesn't understand things they way most people do so she needs to be talked to in a special way.

My point is, apart from them not being too bright with money, which likely amounts to about 500 USD$ a month getting wasted they are not doing too many things wrong and can't (or rather couldn't) afford health care.

I highly doubt there is a plan out there that will cover a 4-person family for 500 USD$ a month.

When I had surgery done in the US it was great. When I had problem sin Finland, I got exactly what I needed. In France I swear the medicine is more advanced than anywhere else... I mean the stuff worked IMMEDIATELY... and well.. in Germany I have never ever paid an additional cent of anything and care has been top notch from child birth, meningitis to cancer prevention treatment...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The whole VAG (the group that basically is VW, Audi and to a degree Porsche) are notorious for making parts stupidly expensive. When back in 1997 the knob on the window crank broke off a friend's car they said that had to replace the WHOLE crank which meant opening the trim on the door. Parts were about 140 DM (around 70 €) and labor was another 100 DM (about 50€) for a flipping knob!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have only driven my latest car about 2500 miles so I decided to check the oil... LOTS of information in the manual and on the car about how to check it, how to be careful that spilling it will cause albino zombies to feed small animals high carbohydrate food and induce cardiac arrest even an advertisement for a particular brand of oil!

But

what

type

of

oil

is

NOWHERE

to be found.

Now I am hill billy enough to know that adding 200 ml of 15W-30 to say 5W-40 or whatever will not kill the motor but something this simple, this basic just boggles my mind...

I asked the dealer and he said: Oh there is this sheet of paper that we use when we check the car before giving it to you ... check that. It's in the glove box... next to the cheesy poof...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I hear ya about the brakes Stuart. My old Pontiacs and even my Triumph Spitfire never needed pads or anything until well within the 50k mile range. Maybe I just coast a alot :)

regarding posting:

Yeah same here. I don't see the point unless it is a legal document that needs proof of ID.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I live on the border to France and lived there for a year a while back. Here near the German border they drive better but I can confirm when we drove from north to the south the farther south we go the more drifting we were seeing.

I am generally leery of people who hug the line too close but here people were doing 130 kph with both wheels and even a headlight over the the line... and then they act shocked when you honk !

Luckily my French is good enough to pass off as a French-speaking Swiss (because I am slow) so I seldom get bad treatment. In Alsace it is weird because many speak German (or rather can but will only if they want to be nice).

Yeah the opening times in general have always flummoxed me on the continent. Why are the stores closed when the people who have money don't have time to shop?

The local toy store actually does a decent job. She is open during lunch, takes a late break and open until 7:30 PM. She also offers free home delivery and packaging services.

Still, she claims they are treading water...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
We live in a weird part of town because on our street there are only even numbers on both sides and the road has many forks that all have the same name.

On most navigation systems they try to send you down a road that has a sign that you are only allowed to drive down it if you live there which scares off most delivery people.

I make it a point to be extra nice and chit chatty with the delivery guys/gals and give them tips on where to park to avoid tickets, where to get good cheap food, giving them a glass of water on a hot day etc. and that has paid off in the past.

I mostly use a postal box system though that is near my house. Anything as big as an espresso machine can be deposited there and I can pick it up at my leisure.

The only problem is it doesn't work for signed-for shipments and only if German post or DHL delivers it. Some international mail arrives using other services which cause all sorts of confusion.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
What? You don't know about this? It's for when you are too drunk to drive and need to sleep it off... since you can#t walk straight or far they have to be put down in a haphazard fashion to increase the chances of falling on one and sleeping off the funk!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
When we found out the tiles on our roof were laced with asbestos we also were worried about the cost. Turns out wrapping it in tarps, putting a tag on it "ASBESTOS" and taking it to a landfill was all that was needed to legally get rid of it...

the days of people handling it with HAZMAT suits and using vacuum tubes to suck any possible fibers out of the air is sooooo 1990's.... granted that is here on the continent...

21 - 40 of 204 Posts