SlotForum banner
641 - 660 of 7323 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The UK departure tax is about half the cost of a purchased ticket!
Does it make any difference what airport they go to? Gatwick? Stanstead? But then i guess there is a bus?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
ok....the day got worse. trying to take out new motor insurance online...easy peasey till the payment option I want disappears from the page , so I call the number on the screen , eventually a bod answers "oh this is the wrong department".. GRRRR...this was the number on the web page..."I'll transfer you , it will be quicker"!!!!! that was 20 minutes ago,,,,im still listening to ruddy Vivaldi!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
"I'll transfer you , it will be quicker"!!!!! that was 20 minutes ago,,,,im still listening to ruddy Vivaldi!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
It is lunchtime in India?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
no , it was someone equally unintelligible...a brummie I think??
question.gif
I gave up in the end and started from scratch online and it sailed through.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My next-door neighbours, who are known for not being the brightest, plunged to new depths of stupidity today.

They already have a yappy terrier-type dog, five (at the last count, could be more by now) cats, a rabbit which spends its life trying to kick its way out of its hutch and sundry rodents. I should add, at this point, that their back "garden" is 16ft x 16ft of fence-to-fence block paving - not a blade of grass in sight.

.......And what do they have now??? A lamb!!
yikes.gif

Am I the only one who thinks this constitutes animal cruelty?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Question is do you call the RSPCA or the Dept. of Agriculture.
innocent.gif

question.gif
Pets are pets but there might be a local bylaw against keeping livestock within the town boundaries?

If work has Wifi.for about 49 quid at Argos astound your workmates by donation an internet radio. Many rock stations even a good one from UAE ! Or one from Singapore

http://streaming.onefm.sg/ or

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
.......And what do they have now??? A lamb!!
yikes.gif

oh that is awful! I would rescue the poor little thing....AND FIRE UP THE BBQ!!!!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
bizarrely had some amazing lamb steaks off the barbie at a mates last night...they were epic!!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
PROFITEERING!

I am fully aware of the principal of supply and demand but where does it end and rampant profiteering begin?? I was chatting with someone today who buys vanilla extract in bulk....well more than most anyway. last year they were paying £30 a litre (nearly as expensive as diesel!) but as , a claimed , result of tropical storms in Madagascar it is now £80 per litre. now other than the fact that there is less of the crop available I assume no other costs in the supply chain have escalated by such a massive margin....but to me that seems excessive in the extreme.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think it is all down to boom and bust. The price went up so everyone started planting. Oversupply and the price went down so growers shifted to other crops then an "accident: and now the price is high.

Add to that of course that for the greedy speculators there is no money in stability.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I remember back around 2008 I think price for milk here on the continent tripled because of Chinese demand... seemed totally stupid considering that many Asians are lactose intolerant... it all settled down after a few months.

As far as your vanilla extract friends are concerned I figure it is that same as winning the lottery... they got lucky... speculated well.

When the Icelandic banks went bust I know a lot of people were freaked out. When I talked to others I was shocked at the lack of sympathy. One guy even said "hey, you mess with the bull you get the horns..." where in my mind people were simply putting money in a bank with the best interest.. it should not have been more risky than the local bank...

Anyhoo... the whole profiteering thing though will always be around especially as long as we have publicly traded companies. Their number one success indicator is profit.

I think I have said this before.. I can actually taste bile when I see the statement "we have to produce in China/India/Mild Slave Labor Country so that we can offer <insert product> at a price people are willing to pay."

I mean, really, does it really hurt someone to pay 6.99€ instead of 4.99€ for a t-shirt? The rules of economics means that you can pass that money on and everyone will still be happy and "profitable".

Carrera for example produces in China and yes they invest thousands in development but I know that retailers make less than 10% profit on new cars. Cars that have been around for yonks must provide Carrera with a 30-40% margin. This is why I totally understand Hornby's current approach of making the same car with different liveries.

I think Hornby's fiscal year is now over. I sure hope the board agrees with their approach as it would be a huge loss to the industry and hobby if we lose them.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
From telegraph.co.uk.....

..........ministers could reduce emissions by removing speed bumps and other traffic-calming measures. Researchers have found that the level of harmful emissions increases significantly when vehicles slow down and accelerate.
REALLY???!
yikes.gif
Who would ever have guessed?
sad.png
Not that it shouldn't be obvious to anyone who has a basic knowledge of how internal combustion engines actually work in powering vehicles along the road.........

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
shock horror.....ministers finally realise what 99.5% of the populous have always known! would that be the same kind of emission increases that occur from vehicles running at higher revs in lower gears due to unnecessary 20/30 mph speed limits rather than at lower engine speeds in higher gears (i.e MORE EFFICIENT!!!!) in slightly higher speed limit areas??? MUPPETS!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
^ Nah. ANIMAL

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
nope....swedish chef...or my alter ego's...stadler & waldorf !!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
This one has made me grumpy for many years, but I don't recall sharing it here, yet.......

Dimbo celebrity women who pose semi- or fully nude when pregnant. Do they really think they're the only woman who has been (or in the case of repeat offenders, gets....) pregnant? Cover it up, Pet! You look at best stupid and at worst positively gross. Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but at any given time there are millions of women in the world who are with child. So, no, it's not big, it's not particularly clever, and you are certainly not unique. GET OVER YOURSELF!

........ And what on earth do you think the offspring is going to feel in 20-odd years time if it happens upon the photo(s)?

Do not get me started on plaster casts of the maternal torso!
yikes.gif
grump.gif

641 - 660 of 7323 Posts