SlotForum banner
6681 - 6700 of 6731 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They were probably Gypsies, I get them a lot in these parts and generally they'll just do as they please and then graze the horses in random fields, on one occasion one horse was very nearly struck as it wondered onto a busy road in the town centre after being dumped at the college.
Obviously with fuel atm its not that viable but on days I'd had nothing better to do I'd purposely turn the oppisite way I'd normally go each time I got to a crossroads, I learned a lot that came in handy with deliveries or just getting places from that as I'd know which roads connected to each other, places to bypass busy ones etc.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
With many groups/ genders etc it's difficult to know what is the correct acceptable way for them to be addressed these days, or even how they wish to be addressed,when I started teaching in 1998 we had a special fund in education for after school clubs/days out/visits etc.

Emtag was the moniker for ethnic minorities and travellers attainment grant, I applied at school and got £1000 to buy the kits and run an after school club for inner city kids in Birmingham, radio control cars, bought them from Beatties in the Bull ring centre.

Had them delivered , they were in a locked cupboard, in a locked store room, in a locked DT block , went missing in two days, no sign of forced entry, that put paid to that plan.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The Hillbillies next-door have plenty of previous for being copycats. :rolleyes:

Quite a few years ago I made a flyscreen for our back door because Wor Lass likes fresh air in the kitchen but not flying entities that spread germs. Not long after, the hillbillies went out and bought one. Every year since, within days of me putting ours in place, theirs has appeared.

On Friday, I put ours up. This morning, I notice theirs. No surprise there.

What would be more of a surprise is if, just once, they beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
With many groups/ genders etc it's difficult to know what is the correct acceptable way for them to be addressed these days, or even how they wish to be addressed,
If mincing pronouns is all they got, I surely have better things to do. Pap always used the convenient Southern contraction:"Y'all". It suffices for me.

Beyond that, rest assured I'm woefully unqualified to treat anothers identity issues.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ahh Copycats, Old man is one for that, everytime one of us gets something new or Improved he has to do it too which is why I'm somewhat glad I will literally run with something until its dust.
Part of whats got Humanity into the state its in is the I must have what they have attitude or the thing that does the job just fine must still be replaced because it's not the latest and greatest.

Theres a famous 'Space' pen that just sums it up, thousands spent, years of testing undertaken to make this the ultimate work anywhere writing implement, a Pencil does the same just fine.

Theres a fine line with the PC thing that often backfires, I have something called Dyspraxia, often called Clumsy child syndrome it mostly affects your co-ordination but does have other stuff with it and occasionaly gets confused with Dyslexia as writings effected but not in the same way and reading generally isnt at all.
Now a while back they introduced a character to the fleet of Companions (remember when it was just 1 or 2 at most?) that was Dyspraxic on Dr Who, now I'd gotten bored during Capaldis time so thought what the heck I'll try it again and see how they do with it, they literally just made Dyspraxia the persons personaility, literally no other traits or personaility just this person is Dyspraxic.
That incidently was the last time I bothered so I don't know if it improved since but it got my blood boiling, I am me, I am a Grumpy Ahole true but thats not from Dyspraxia, thats from me, I am me not my disabilities and they do not rule my life.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The Hillbillies next-door have plenty of previous for being copycats. :rolleyes:

Quite a few years ago I made a flyscreen for our back door because Wor Lass likes fresh air in the kitchen but not flying entities that spread germs. Not long after, the hillbillies went out and bought one. Every year since, within days of me putting ours in place, theirs has appeared.

On Friday, I put ours up. This morning, I notice theirs. No surprise there.

What would be more of a surprise is if, just once, they beat me to it.
Get the clippers out?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Today I give you idiotic joggers........

While going about my employer's business, I'm driving a fully-laden 3.5 tonne van. Turning into a fairly upmarket housing estate I notice a woman running in the same direction as I'm heading. She's wearing all the usual running-wear....... Plus a sodding-great set of headphones. I'm not travelling very fast, only slightly faster than she is running, because I'm searching for the house I'm delivering to. With the front of the van less than 1mtr behind her, she deviates off the path onto the road, without looking behind to check for traffic. I hit the horn button. She doesn't even hear and carries-on, totally oblivious to the fact that if she'd have gone one more step before deviating into the road (or I'd have been driving fractionally faster) she would have been under the front wheel of the van.

It's not the first time something like this has happened to me, but it's the nearest miss I've ever had. Why the hell do these idiots have to be zoned-out from what's going-on around them????? It's both irresponsible and down-right dangerous. If there isn't one already, there should be a law against this growing trend of pedestrians (..........at whatever speed they're travelling..........) not being aware of what is going on around them.

If the worst had happened, I doubt the judge would have been agreement with my mitigation plea of natural selection.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Had a run over to Quorn and Woodhouse on the Great Central on Saturday for the Leicester Historic buses event.

Coming off the M1 at Loughborough/Shepshed junction I know my way through the quieter roads/lanes rather than going though Loughborough.

Again joggers and headphones,again backs to the traffic, dark coloured clothing, you really wouldn't do it would you.

Must say I was disappointed that no MPs were at the event, as there were two Dominators present.

Texted SWMBO and told her I was riding a Dominator and was thoroughly enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
I don't ever remember seeing a painted runner sign on a cycle path but some seem to think they own the cycle path:mad:😠. I have a 120db air horn, works from a rechargeable bottle you pump up, and it's always fun to come up behind them and give a big blast. 😁

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Going through my local park today the was father with his young child who was on a scooter just happily ambling along the cycle path o_O Admittedly the cycle path is at it's furthest distance from the footpath in this part of the park, all of 2ft😁

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Being able to get art supplies that you need.

I'm currently working on the projects again and I want to track down some UV paints as the stuff I've got you can hide in various colours but will always glow the same off green and I want to create various Sci Fi imagery, naturally using amazon is as effective as farting into the wind to avoid the smell, I'd be alright if I wanted to paint myself or write my name on my underwear so I could get dressed in the dark but I'm buggered if I want to paint a picture or do a Del Boy and illuminate a family members grave in the dark.
If you want an idea of what I mean look at things like dark rides or those old Laser tag/mini golf places that are lit by blacklight where the murals and objects glow various colours.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We seem to be told daily there are shortages of this that and the other ( there has always been a shortage of the other ) like most people we tend to buy roughly the same things weekly and i have noticed that the price keeps going up and up no longer do i have a rough estimate of the shopping bill , i have no idea.
But it really hit home the other day , i went onto Pendall's site to order some spares and bugger me all except one item were not available , now it has hit home. 😭

6681 - 6700 of 6731 Posts