6721 - 6740 of 6885 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
^ Probably staring on Gran Designs

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
............ Anyway, back to grumpiness.

Attila was adopted. After her 3rd divorce, at the age of 50, she decided to try to find her birth mother. As it happened, she was a few months too late. But, it turned-out she had a half-brother and 2 half-sisters, none of whom had any inkling of Attila's existence until that point. Attila and the elder "sister" kept in touch and met-up quite a bit over the next 30 years. TBH, I was never really that bothered because my adoptive grand-parents couldn't have loved either Attila, myself, or my brother, more - in fact Granddad was more of a dad to me than the waste of space that was my biological father.

We've exchanged Christmas cards (because Attila gave them my address, unbeknown to me) and that was about it. Attilla's funeral was only the third time I'd actually met any of the "other family". I don't feel any connection with any of them.

Since the funeral the elder "aunt" now seems to think that all of a sudden I'm interested in updates of what goes on with her family. I'm talking medical histories, holidays, day-to-day life. I'm really not in the slightest bit interested. But still I get the 'phone calls on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

What I should have done, with hindsight, was prefix her 'phone number with 141 when I called her to let her know that Attila was "end-of-life".

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Grandma isn't that important anymore, doin classix n inglish at Oxfd maybe, but today's yoof communicate in a totally different way, still seems to work for them.
Just covering GCSE invigilation for the school I used to teach at, ten percent of kids don't know their candidate number, many can't tell the time on a non digital clock, some don't even know what a surname is, many don't bother bringing basic equipment as they know you will lend it to them.
Progress indeed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
With a house purchase looming, I have been cashing in various bonds.

One provider emailed me to inform me that they had sent important letters, which could be viewed via their on-line portal.

Armed with user-name, password and other details, I unsuccessfully attempted to log on, and was instructed to contact them by telephone.

On doing so, I was told that my on-line access was blocked because I have cashed in my bonds.

Idjuts . . .

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
There's been a crash on the motorway near us. About 250m from the scene is an overpass. I just tried to drive the overpass and it's crowded with ghouls filming the aftermath on their 'phones. Sick bastards! :mad:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
A great number of accidents are caused by fools rubbernecking, they should make it a criminal offence for saftey as well as decencey reasons.

I don't know what is in those thread reels these days but I have been stuck stitching some old jeans back together for wearing when working on things and its taken many hours because the thread was non stop tangling and snapping.
I had hoped to draw out some pictures for painting later today but I've not even touched the pencil because this took so long.

Bring back actual heavy duty clothing and thread made of propper cotton.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Whilst not supporting any team, I do enjoy watching football sometimes, when things are tight,as this year's division one,sorry ,premiership has been,the smallest of margins come into play.

If I were a Liverpool fan I'd be more than grumpy, as the title has been effectively decided by a referee, the one in the recent Everton Vs Manchester City fixture, who for some inexplicable reason didnt give a clear penalty for handball by a City player.

As in Motorsport, these small decisions can generate/Lise a not inconsiderable amount of money.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Well they heard you weren't able to go out for a Steak so they sent one to you insted.

Woke up to find Mother had let the Dog run riot, laptop on the floor, tables cleared and just general disaray, is he in disgrace?
No of course not, he's currently sharing a pack of Malted milks with her.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
There's been a crash on the motorway near us. About 250m from the scene is an overpass. I just tried to drive the overpass and it's crowded with ghouls filming the aftermath on their 'phones. Sick bastards! :mad:
I believe that "voyeurism" is an offence in the UK. Off with their heads!

I do enjoy watching football sometimes,
Oh dear. Is there a "gob of the week" competition yet? Filthy, uncouth lot.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I'm getting grumpy with myself and grumpy with the forum.

First the forum, for some reason threads that I have been following for ages only appear in my alerts every now and then when there is a new post.

Now me, earlier in the year I bought some new furniture, cube storage units. I used a couple to replace my old TV/AV unit and all was fine. The basic units take less than 15 minutes to build and then you can add shelves, doors and draws if required. This build worked out fine the TV is a just the right height and the cubes are just the right size for LPs. Today I dismantled and old wall unit which came apart with ease ready to replace with some more units. Gave the wall a quick coat of paint and while it was drying I build three three wide cube units, took all the rubbish to the tip and collected some more draws and doors. Now I have measured the space the units are going in dozens of time whist trying to find a ready made unit to fit and most are way to wide so having checked and checked again and again I knew the three wide units would fit. My tape measure must start at a number bigger than zero because the units don't fit in the alcove they are for :mad: 😠 :mad: 😠 :mad: . So now I can either have a gap at one side and a spare unit with no where to put it or I can strip the unit down and cut all the dividers in half and then build a narrow unit to fit the gap. And this was supposed to be a simple days work.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
No matter how many times I measure it always ends up too long regardless of material.

Dead leg was hiding from me how bad an ingrown toe nail was, I've been slowly regainging feeling and I brushed the toe against something and suddenly felt a mass of pain, looked at it in bright light and it's as red and inflamed as it was years ago when it was so infected is exploded with Pus so it looks like I need to fight for a refferal to get it cut out again.

Some brightsides though. Mother got me some Neon paints to experiment with under blacklight and some other goodies too, my Sister is also giving me a Neon light kit (although I will be paying something for it despite her protests as she needs every penny right now) so I'll hopefully have something to occupy me this weekend.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Still being stupid so getting grumpy. I thought after a good nights sleep I could put silly things behind me but no. Installed the draw runners this morning and read the instructions as each end is different. Fitted the first four of eight and when I went to attach the draws realised I had fitted them all the wrong way around :mad:, that face should be blue really which is what the air was. After that little c*** up the only other problem was down to the parts. They used to make a shelf for the units, you could add one, two or three per cube and they could also be fitted on edge as dividers. The shelves were designed to be used with the doors so were shorter than the depth of the cube. Now the don't sell the shelves only a divider unit which is basically a shelf with two smaller pieces to make a cross shaped divider. To just have a shelf you just through away the two small bits but you pay 50% more for the privilege 😠and the divider is designed to be flush with the units as I found out. I fitted the shelf and tapped it in so the door would fit only to find out latter that it had pushed the back panel off. So now I've had to cut all the 'shelves' down to fit properly😠😠. At least making the other unit narrower has gone quite well.

Whilst laying awake in bed last night I realised what I did wrong with the measurements. I had gone wall to radiator but forgot to allow for the old fashion inch thick skirting and the fact the the radiator goes back, a bit, beyond where I was measuring at an angle. I'm putting it down to age😁, age and stupidity.:eek:🤣

·
Registered
849 Posts
I feel your pain, Beardy. Those are my usual excuses, too.
Here’s to hoping the rule of things happening in threes won’t apply this time. My last two cars arrived with bent wheels. One Thunderslot, one Sideways. Will be opening the replacement TS this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Internet out at home again. Waited 5 days for a repair that lasted 8 hours. It will be 6 more days before they can return to try again. Will be shopping for a different provider.

Reactions: HiFi
6721 - 6740 of 6885 Posts