SlotForum banner
661 - 680 of 7322 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
sorry.... but im all in favour of nekked women ...unless its anne widecombe!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
at any given time there are millions of women in the world who are with child. So, no, it's not big, it's not particularly clever, and you are certainly not unique. GET OVER YOURSELF!

Do not get me started on plaster casts of the maternal torso!
yikes.gif
grump.gif
I think in India one cause for this is a "plastered caste"

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Sports reporting on-line (might be in print as well, but I don't buy papers anymore). Specifically.........

"......... Five things we learned." Why bother putting this in nearly every headline? .........And why always five things, never a different amount?
question.gif

What makes it worse is it seems to be creeping into general reporting now too.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
eeeeek....yup.....i'll add her to my black list , I don't have the proclivities of professor plum!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Sports reporting on-line (might be in print as well, but I don't buy papers anymore). Specifically.........

"......... Five things we learned." Why bother putting this in nearly every headline? .........And why always five things, never a different amount?
question.gif

What makes it worse is it seems to be creeping into general reporting now too.
rolleyes.gif
Five things we have learned from Slot Forum.

#1. favourite tool , hammer. does that make me analogue?
#2. irreverent but harmless , often engages mouth before brain.
#3. remember , its only funny until someone gets hurt.... then its bleedin' hilarious! (see #2)
#4. proud to be a luddite. (see #1)
#5. my hammer wont let me down....can you say the same about your computer? (see #1 & #4)

banana.gif

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Ah! Its a disease and it is spreading like a virus.

This today!

5 ways the North Korea situation could spiral out of control

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
Five things we have learned from Slot Forum.

#1. favourite tool , hammer. does that make me analogue?
#2. irreverent but harmless , often engages mouth before brain.
#3. remember , its only funny until someone gets hurt.... then its bleedin' hilarious! (see #2)
#4. proud to be a luddite. (see #1)
#5. my hammer wont let me down....can you say the same about your computer? (see #1 & #4)

banana.gif
I represent that remark!

How about people who don't lock their car, house, safe etc. and then are surprised when they get burgled?
'till I was a teenager I don't think I even knew where the front door key was...it was never locked , how times change!!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Now, child-abuse is a very serious matter - but..... I know a lad who was falsely accused early last year. He had to leave his job because it is subject to DBS. The CPS says it "is duty-bound" to take the case to trial, the date of which is set for this coming August. By that time he will not have worked for over 18 months. He's even been barred from taking his grand-children on days out.

The case was originally brought after police were alerted by a counsellor the "victim" had been to. The "victim", who is well-known as a drama-queen/attention-seeker, knew nothing of the accusation until the police contacted her. Then the whole thing escalated.........

Even if the defence get a "not guilty", the poor lad's life has been screwed.
I've spoken with his daughter today and by all accounts his barrister is very confident that the case won't even get to court because of various inconsistencies in the "evidence" and "witness" statements. There is serious doubt that these witnesses even knew either the accuser or accused at the time the "offences" are supposed to have taken place. However....... There are always people who won't let things lie, and I suspect that the accused's name will forever be tainted by some people now and the falsely-accused will live in the shadow of this for the rest of his life. ........All because he and his then-wife were big-hearted enough to want to help vulnerable children by entering the fostering service. When this sort of thing is happening, and the fostering system won't do very much to back-up the carers, is it any wonder there are never enough foster carers?

I'm sorry, but I hate SJWs!! :grump:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
'till I was a teenager I don't think I even knew where the front door key was...it was never locked , how times change!!
Maybe cuz you had scheit cars? :-D

Regarding false accusations: They did a full-day workshop at our kids' elementary school called "social training". Now my daughter was in an "integrated" class where 6 of the 18 kids had special needs. Everything from being a slow learner to physical and mental disabilities that require a dedicated person to help.

The class was very harmonious and the kids were very conscientious.

So they do this "training" and every day some kids tells some other kid they are f*ing stupid, f*ing ugly, f*ing stink etc. because the "learned" that everyone has the right to say whatever they want whenever they want.

No in secondary school it has spilled over to if someone even looks at you cross-eyed they immediately go to a school counselor to complain. And because of being "duty-bound" they go through the whole rigamarole with having "clear-the-air" meetings etc. Officially the teachers are not supposed to get involved but we had had enough and pointed out that this is detrimental to the cohesion of the class and to the learning environment. The teachers were shocked SHOCKED that kids were bringing up supposed altercations that happened as far back as 6 months ago and that the worst offense was, and I quote "she said something to someone that I heard and it made me feel sad...".. I am not kidding you!

So reading about your friend it does not surprise me because when people go to school and experience things like that it is no wonder!

Luckily here in Germany a judge can throw out a case fairly easily as there is a clause that a civil suit must have "at least a 51% chance of winning" before going to court so giving people the middle finger, calling them bat guano crazy to their face etc. does not take up peoples' time and money but it is a trend here and it is frustrating.

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
I don't know about the situation in other places but here, in the US, the university system has been essentially destroyed by by the demand that no one should ever be made to feel bad by anything. If a scheduled speaker is likely to offer views with which you disagree, riot to prevent them from speaking. If you are male, any contact with a female better be accompanied by an explicit, notarized contract covering all possible permutations of the relationship. If the outcome of an election distresses you, a mourning sanctuary will be provided where you can eat cookies and be attended by a phalanx of grief counselors.

EM

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Regarding dvd3500s school comments above.......

A woman I work with has a 9-y-o daughter, who is being bullied at school. Now, I thought that school bullying was supposed to be a zero-tolerance "crime" these days. Want to know how this particular school dealt with this instance? They gave the perpetrators detention, during which they had to sit and write letters to the victim saying that they love her and can't explain why they bullied her. Needless to say they are still causing the girl grief but in different, more subtle ways - and the school doesn't seem to be able to tackle it. The parents are now actively seeking another school for the next school year, which they didn't want to do because this one is supposed to be the best in the area - according to OFSTED.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
I don't know about the situation in other places but here, in the US, the university system has been essentially destroyed by by the demand that no one should ever be made to feel bad by anything. If a scheduled speaker is likely to offer views with which you disagree, riot to prevent them from speaking. If you are male, any contact with a female better be accompanied by an explicit, notarized contract covering all possible permutations of the relationship. If the outcome of an election distresses you, a mourning sanctuary will be provided where you can eat cookies and be attended by a phalanx of grief counselors.

EM
I must go and get my eyes tested...I had to re-read that last sentence. now where do I queue for my cookies???

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
@Stuart: Don't get me wrong. Bullying does happen. I was a victim of it and I weighed the same at 9 that I did at 16. To this day I have health issues down to my being obese at such a young age and I ate because I had no friends and was picked on because I "talked funny" (I grew up in a very rural "town" of about 800 inhabitants that is about 400 miles from where I ended up going to school).

If there is someone who fights for the underdog that is me!

My point is that sometimes things get blown out of proportion and sometimes we get handed solutions that are in need of problems.

Our school systems "social training" only taught kids to jerks. It also did not teach them to even attempt resolve things themselves. They may have had good intentions but the missed the mark IMHO.

I sure hope your friend's daughter gets some resolution.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
Maybe cuz you had scheit cars? :-D
noooo...house front door!

talking of houses , today I am proper grumpy at d.i.y .... my back passage is giving me grief!!
ohmy.png
it may be nearly the smallest room in the house but everything has chewed my plums all the way , every awkward thing you could deal with in one poxy room. we decided a crisp white finish was the way to go....but the walls had previously been papered (over green and cream paint) so needed cleaning right back , they had been chased and patched for a re-wire so needed smoothing in , the ceiling had been re-plastered and needed sanding (boy does that dust burn your eyes , I couldn't get goggles over my glasses) , then multitudinous coats of white on white. not happy but at least I'm nearing the end of it now!!

·
Gordon Steadman
7,019 Posts
Not exactly grumpy but in the same vein.... I've been putting a staircase in and doing all the ballustrading for the mezzanine in our upstairs lounge. Usually, I make stairs myself but now I'm more than getting on a bit, I thought I'd do it the easy way and get a kit. Half a day for two men the instructions said. I'm not surprised that people get fed up with 'craftsmen' overcharging. Do a bit, have a cup of tea. Do a bit, pop out for a smoke...do a bit..... five hours start to finish, all on my tod and building it in situe as it's too heavy for me to make and then lift up by myself. That meant more work trimming the runners as the treads and risers had to be slotted in from the bottom. Gawd know what these two men were doing.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
I just get paid weakly...and no , that's not a typo!

·
Gordon Steadman
7,019 Posts
Definitely a grump today.

Preparing a second 1/32nd scale back up for Bordo just in case. Revell Sting Ray in average sort of shape but the glazing is stuck in so thoroughly that it won't come out without destroying the body. Thought I'd spray it and carefully masked all the windows. Got a decent finish on it and removed the masking tape. The tape. which in theory is supposed to mask the bit it covers....you know, why it's called masking tape.....has let loads of paint through (not around the edges) and the windows are now blotchy blue! Even carefully using a bud with turps on it hasn't left them totally clear. Not too happy about that and then.......whilst doing the chassis, the standard Revell motor suddenly started pouring out smoke!. Oh bother I said. So I put a hot wind in it to see if the chassis would take it. Great, for about 5 minutes and then that died. Put a standard horribly slow Scalex pink motor in and blow me down, that blew as well. I know these are old bits but all on the same day?? Checked for shorts, changed the guide just in case but I reckon this car is jinxed. Maybe I'll just stick to two cars then.

I only have one spare motor left I can use at Bordo. I think I may hide it in the box.

661 - 680 of 7322 Posts