·
Registered
313 Posts
My experience of Hermes was -

a/ No collection made when scheduled
b/ No delivery made when scheduled
c/ Anything remotely fragile got broken 90% of the time
d/ Tracking inaccurate 50% of the time

But since moving home the local guy is pretty good, but I rarely use them now. Hermes used to be nicknamed Herpes, and now better known as Evil.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Evil Herpes

Tracking No was iffy on my DVD so can't even trace it and I could do with it atm as I really feel like death, not the ambulance grade stuff but the I'm not moving grade, especially with the coughing fit last night that somehow made my chest down to my hands go nuts, the tools are staying put.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It finally arrived in my personal pet hate of packaging, a solitary heat sealed plastic bag.

Is it seriously that expensive to just bulk buy Jiffy bags, especially if you are a big business like Music Magpie, if I can manage it so can they.

While still on a self imposed ban on touching anything remotely dangerous I'm pondering a solution to spraying that Gumball Machine as I'm fast running out of outdoor spraying weather, annoyingly got no sacrificial R/Cs, as a bit of pipe stuck to a driven wheel with the car on it's side and throttle trimmed to run slow on its own would work to allow me to continously spray an even amount of paint with it raised how I want to get the edges.
In the end I may just have to make something out of Cardboard and wing it as I want to get atleast one thing finished this year.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just about every nerve in my face is on fire right now and it's driving me potty, I must've done something stupid in my sleep as I spat out one of the Clots when I woke and my speech seems to be permanent Sean Connery with Strep throat.

On driving duty and typically one thing is said and another happens as I wanted to try and get one of the super cheap fryers from Aldi on my travels but what was a 3 o'clock pick up is now seemingly turned into a long p*ss up and my will to live is slowly leaving me as I want to get done and get back to try and do something to take my mind off this blasted pain.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I surely cannot be the only one excessively Grumpy that thanks to this Glorious weather my nether regions are a perpetual swamp, the silver lining being theres probably enough slime to slide everywhere and save Petrol.

·
Registered
13,700 Posts
The Welsh government is considering a plan to reduce speed limits in built-up areas to 20mph. Inevitably, this entails new 20mph signs at a cost of millions, and will force motorists to drive at higher revs in lower gears for longer, thus increasing emissions and pollution.

Wonder which 'genius' politician dreamt up this BS.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think the 20 MPH limits were to reduce accidents, hence why a number of London councils embraced them. The increase in emissions was not foreseen by politicians, just motorists.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Re emissions, What's your prediction for when road tax on electric cars will begin? It's a tricky one for politicians as they have to ensure that enough people have them that the infrastructure for i.c. cars is irreversibly run down so it's not possible to turn the clock back. Then GOTCHA!.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think the 20 MPH limits were to reduce accidents, hence why a number of London councils embraced them. The increase in emissions was not foreseen by politicians, just motorists.
After a recent trip to Scotland I found many, if not all, small villages there now have 20 mph limits.

My home town, Lydney, has had one since they were first allowed, but the main road is so narrow and busy we NEEDED one! Mind you, 50% of the drivers still go through at 40...... :confused:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re emissions, What's your prediction for when road tax on electric cars will begin? It's a tricky one for politicians as they have to ensure that enough people have them that the infrastructure for i.c. cars is irreversibly run down so it's not possible to turn the clock back. Then GOTCHA!.
Should have happened ages ago. In the meantime EV drivers are being sponsored by us ICE drivers! And I SERIOUSLY object to that. :mad:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Put your EV in for its MOT and get a bill for ££££££££££ as you are charged for all the miles you have done.

6 year old EV only ££££ with genuine 150 miles on clock, also available for £££££ software to rest . 😁 😄 🤣 😇

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My car, technically classes as a town car, has about the same revs in 3rd at 20mph as it does at 30mph in 5th and a lot lower than doing 30mph in 4th. The real problem comes when you have a 20mph limit and speed bumps like a lot of the roads in my area. Whilst you can take the majority of them at 20 with no real problems a lot of people slow down to about 10mph and this is what causes most of the hold ups. If the speed limit is the same everywhere then hopefully there would be no need for speed bumps and the traffic would flow at a steady rate.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's inevitable that road pricing will need to be used, preferably soon than later to offset the road fund licence, sorry VED , that is being lost to the electric drivers , who smugly ram their reduced running costs down our throats, conveniently ignoring the environmental impact their vehicle has.
ALL road users should contribute to the maintenance of the road network to some degree or other.
The tricky part is going to be the exact pricing system utilized, they're going to clobber the busy/commuter times to rake it in, folks with little or no public transport access in their area have to use a private vehicle, period,whatever the cost.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
They've been on about those limits fors year all over the UK, mostly in side streets and outside schools, it's never stuck though past just what local councils enforce.
Most modern cars are geared to manage 20 and 30 at low revs, the Kuga will actually suggest you go up to 5 or 6 once rolling although once you loose momentum its a bugger to get back without shifting down to 2 and the Bimmer while capable of pulling off in 5th makes an exhaust noise akin to a Bomber squadron which is handy for keeping you way clear and awful if you've got a headache.

This all being said it relys on enforcement and that rarely happens off of main roads so is anyone really going that slow?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This all being said it relys on enforcement and that rarely happens
The road outside our gaff has had a 20mph limit & speed humps for probably 10 years now. You don't need a speed camera to see that most of the traffic is going much faster than that. :mad:

The gadgie 3-doors-down says that he moved here in the '70s and "this was a quiet country road, hardly any traffic". Now, from before 7 in the morning until late in the evening it's a rat-run and the powers-that-be aren't interested in doing anything about it because no-one has died.

The Police did send a patrol with a hand-held speed camera once, but it was a waste of time because there were roadworks half a mile up the road which slowed the traffic to a crawl. They've never been back.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The best speed control on main roads is synced traffic lights. If the lights let the same amount of traffic flow through without having to stop drivers soon realise that there is no advantage, most of the time, in putting your foot down between sets of lights or going slowly as you are either in the moving section or in the held section. Apart from the very busiest times the traffic on the main route can be kept flowing. This has three main advantage, faster flowing traffic, less pollution from stationary cars and less reason for drivers to take to the side roads. At one time this was the in thing but seems to have disappeared again. My local road management team can't even sync lights a few 100 yards apart so you stop at one as it turns red then watch the next one turn green whist you wait and a few seconds after you pull away the next set turn red, just enough time for the I will beat the lights brigade to rush off to a red light. To make matters worse at one of theses sets you can't travel to slowly to the next red light's filter lane because if a car is detected there a few seconds before they change the filter goes green with the main flow, if not it goes green at the end of the main flow.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The best speed control on main roads is synced traffic lights. If the lights let the same amount of traffic flow through without having to stop drivers soon realise that there is no advantage, most of the time, in putting your foot down between sets of lights or going slowly as you are either in the moving section or in the held section.
In the 60s, when we used to flog up to the Hammersmith track from Oxford, the A4 through the centre of Slough had the lights synced like that, and it worked a treat. Once you started off on green they were all green, so long as you kept to 30 _+ a couple of mph.

Than my mate Travis figured that it should also work at 60...................

A few 'heart in mouth' moments trying THAT, I can tell you! :oops:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
WHAT? Your car tells you how to drive! Up with that I will not put.
Mine does as well although most times I beat it to the up change, never tells me when to change down though. Does come in handly though when old age means I think I've change gear and haven't really 😄

6921 - 6940 of 7109 Posts