SlotForum banner
7321 - 7340 of 7666 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've joined up with AliExpress to buy a taillight for my m/c that's less than half the price I can buy it here in NZ. Now it seems I'm going to get hammered with daily emails from them telling me what I need for my bike, and every time I use the pc google has decided to advertise the taillight I've already bought. Still it beats getting ads of womens clothing presented to me as they think my wife is the user. And now while I'm in a mood, the grammar police are insisting I add commas here and apostrophes there all the time and I can't hurt a programmes feelings by not complying.
You need an adblocker, avoid saving cookies (Chrome will remember your log in details) and there should be a fuction on your log in profile to turn off emails.

If you want a laugh I used to frequently get ads for running shoes and gear, I've one working leg and barely reach 4mph at my fastest.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
After spending over 12 hours in bed I've woken with a thumping head to deal with the Laptop as it was non booting, stupid bloody thing for some reason started not seeing its OS HD unless I changed to another boot device and then back but it seems to be sorted.
Thumping head still remains but I'm going to grin and bare it for a brief while to get shops out the way so I don't have to drive in the Petrolheadonism traffic and feel even more miffed I'm not going.
I've also got Sunday off now as the Mrs Brother has called off the visit so I'll spend my time either sleeping or finally sorting this ruddy ebay mess.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
2 days without so much as a whisper, Matron must be handing out the happy pills again.

Been stuck with the Weasel again who's dirty protests are in full swing along with constant barking at nothing and frequently attempting to trip me up, tried to sort the ebay mess and got non stop pestered, bloody watchers wasting time as always so no funds in but managed to get a good few listings up with more planned tomorrow.
In a bit of a mental funk in general this weekend, had some sad news from my BiL on the Mrs side and missed the big local show at Knebworth for the second year running and being a Gas Monkey fan it cuts a bit.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
We've just got back from holiday. During the course of the jaunt, I had the misfortune to be the victim of an attempted scam by a fuel station. This is how it went down:-

Pulled-up at a vacant pump, went through the usual motions. Inserted the pump nozzle in the tank neck and waited, like you do, for the pump to start.
.......And waited.
.......And waited.
Eventually, I put the nozzle back in the pump and went to the kiosk to enquire as to the problem.
"You have to pay for the fuel you've had before you can have a second lot"!
"But I haven't had a first lot! Can you clear the pump, please?"
"Not until you pay".
"I don't have anything to pay for, I've been waiting for you to start the pump."
By this time I'm getting ragged.
"I can't clear the pump until you pay for the fuel you already took".

So I went back to the car, replaced the cap, and went to find another fuel station.

I'm just about to e-mail their local Plod, just in case they've reported me for theft.

Reactions: HiFi

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Mmmm. I hope that wasn't in my part of the world.

Was the quantity showing as being used on the pump more than the amount left in your tank? That would have been conclusive proof.

Is the amount you put in at the next station plus the amount shown on the "scam" pump more than your tank capacity? If so, keep the receipt as it will help to prove your case.

CCTV forecourt coverage should also reveal a culprit - the previous visitor to that pump.

IMHO it's more likely that this was not deliberate but that the attendant was not attentive and failed to see a customer drive off without paying..They can't watch everything, particularly if there is a queue of customers or another till operator to distract them.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Mmmm. I hope that wasn't in my part of the world.
West Dorset? I didn't notice how much was on the pump, nor whether it was petrol or diesel (my car is diesel). I've sent a pre-emptive e-mail to Dorset Plod. Whatever their reply, it will be an interesting read.

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I agree with Gripping, having worked at a fuel station. Probably a drive off by the previous pump user. If it has been reported to the police they won't do anything until they have a copy of the CCTV and this will show who filled up last at the pump. They will then normally contact the registered owner of the vehicle to give them a chance to pay for the fuel before taking any further action. In most cases if the owner or driver can be traced it is an error on the part of the driver or the attendant, sometimes they forget to ask about fuel and people will take the chance.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Mmm gas station frauds eh? Around here EVERY gas station uses a computer program that allows them to Rob you 5% of every service, plus they have double administrative &account data in case inspectors arrive, how do I know? Had an employee case some years ago about robbery, the manager of the station confirmed with pretty much confidence that this was an usual custom on the guild, on every gas station in the city, whether the brand of the fuel advertising. Since that I have never felt bad for the “poor” owners/managers at any fuel station, bunch of bandits!, to say the less…

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
keep the receipt as it will help to prove your case.
Didn't bother with a receipt, as I paid cash. Possibly a lesson learned.
I pay cash for everything except internet purchases, which go on my debit card. I've never bothered with credit cards because I've always worked on the basis that if I can't afford something either I don't need it, or it can wait until I can afford it. The only exception to this, for obvious reasons, was the mortgage on my house - and I paid that off early.

Reactions: GDSLOT

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Very risky trying to fiddle the amount of fuel dispensed these days. With all the major retailers the pumps are, normally, maintained and check by the manufactures service teams, so anyone could turnup to do any repairs or service needed and they will almost certainly do a calibration check. On top of that the Petroleum Licence official could arrive, without any pre notice, at any time to do a calibration test. Not the cleverest way to lose you licence.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I stick to the Supermarkets if I can unless it's a Station I know is honest (had misfortune of bad fuel when stuck up north so have avoided making the mistake since), less chance of dodgy doings.

Been such a fun fun fun time since I last posted here, and I mean that as full sarcasm.

Put the Crane Machne back together and it wouldn't start, checked connections and went to see if the stop switches were the cause and the base fell out ripping multiple wires out, after stewing I've decided I'll likely just scrap it and add the painting to a replacement or my wall as I've already too much to solder not that I'm allowed still.

Next Project to complete was the Gumball machine, paint came up a beauty (Ford Electric red) after making the effort to do proper finishing by hand (no repeats of the explosion incident, sorry GP), decal was a bit naff as despite following instructions and using a soft cloth it curled and scratched in several places.
The big kicker was the Gumballs, their maker, Zed Candy, doesn't make it clear they come in two sizes, the packs that I used for testing were the smaller old size which my Machine takes, the bulk boxes and bags are the 1" size modern machines can be set to take and don't fit.

Guess what I brought 1kg several months ago?

Can't send them back, can't really sell them on so I'm stuck with an empty machine and sacks of balls (stop sniggering) I can't use unless I get another machine which realistically right now isn't on the agenda as weathers changing for painting and I'm broke.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Full tank in a big motor is a fair wad of money.
Tell me about it.......... By the time I found a fuel station I had done over 450 miles since the last fill and it cost me £96. :eek:
I don't usually like getting too near 1/4 tank remaining, but in this instance it took 52ltrs to fill the (67ltr) tank.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I stick to the Supermarkets if I can unless it's a Station I know is honest (had misfortune of bad fuel when stuck up north so have avoided making the mistake since)
I won't use supermarket fuel. I did an experiment a few years ago, when I noticed how frothy the diesel at my local Sainsburys was. I came to (my own, admittedly) conclusion that I was paying for air bubbles. Neither Esso or Shell diesel has ever had anywhere near the amount of froth that Sainsburys or Tesco does.
It's also my belief that supermarkets can sell cheaper partly because they don't use the same quality fuel. ......And, yes, I know it comes from the same depot a lot of the time, but does it come from the same storage bunker?????

·
Registered
149 Posts
I won't use supermarket fuel. I did an experiment a few years ago, when I noticed how frothy the diesel at my local Sainsburys was. I came to (my own, admittedly) conclusion that I was paying for air bubbles. Neither Esso or Shell diesel has ever had anywhere near the amount of froth that Sainsburys or Tesco does.
It's also my belief that supermarkets can sell cheaper partly because they don't use the same quality fuel. ......And, yes, I know it comes from the same depot a lot of the time, but does it come from the same storage bunker?????
Some insight,, Is it, ain't it?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Depends on what you mean by quality? The main difference is the amount of extra chemicals and additives added to the mix. In standard grade fuels the difference is not that much although some branded fuels will have lubricants and rust inhibiters added. With premium grade fuels the difference can be significant, but it comes down to what you need. If you don't need the performance advantage from some of the branded fuels then it's a case of doing the sums to see which fuel gives the best miles per £. If the fuel is for a car that doesn't get a lot of use and spends a lot of time in storage, such as classics, then the branded premium fuels with extra rust inhibitors and top end lubricants make good sense. When I worked at the filling station it aways used to amuse me with the amount of people who would fill up with the premium grade full with all the top end lubricants, engine deposit cleaners and rust inhibitors it had then add Redex or similar to the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
If the fuel is for a car that doesn't get a lot of use and spends a lot of time in storage, such as classics, then the branded premium fuels with extra rust inhibitors and top end lubricants make good sense. When I worked at the filling station it aways used to amuse me with the amount of people who would fill up with the premium grade full with all the top end lubricants, engine deposit cleaners and rust inhibitors it had then add Redex or similar to the tank.
If they were "classics" it may have been octane boosters they added. A lot of the higher compression ratio cars of yesteryear needed a 5 star (remember that) octane rating which is barely available today, unless you are running an F1 car on "pump fuel" of course.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Most of the Permium grade fuels are 98 or 99 octane so more or least 4 star, 98 octane, and just under the 100 octane of 5 star. Most of the people using additives were running modern cars. Normally the classics would be adding lead replacement if they still had valve seat problems.

The vast majority of classic owners are just running everyday production cars that would have used 4 start and I aways tried to get any classic owners not using the premium grade to give it a try, ours was 99 octane, as a lot thought it was too good for their engines. Having explained that it was between the old 4 and 5 star and the benefits of the added top end lubricants and rust inhibiters helping to protect the engine whist the cars was not being used all but one gave it a try. Not one of them went back to the standard grade, with most saying that it made the engine run cooler and they weren't noticing any pinking.

All the performance classic car owners that came in were already using the premium grade and yes some did still need to add octane booster.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Only Supermarket fuel I found noticeably worse was Asda, the M3 is acctually happier on Tesco's Momentum 99 than Essos equivlant and barely changes on V power.
if the fuels clean going in theres nothing to worry about, most of those additives are near redundant to a properly cared for Car ie changing filters at correct intervals.

Froth would indicate the air getting in where it shouldn't, doesn't make any difference to the combustion process once settled however.

7321 - 7340 of 7666 Posts