SlotForum banner
761 - 780 of 7131 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Amazon

Order placed for next day delivery.

On Wednesday

Order been 'Out for Delivery' since 05.41 yesterday....now saying on 1 screen 'expected by Nov 13' on another 'Expected TODAY'......

Why can't next day mean next day?

I ordered it Wednesday with next day delivery because I NEEDED it today.

USELESS

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Amazon

Order placed for next day delivery.

On Wednesday

Order been 'Out for Delivery' since 05.41 yesterday....now saying on 1 screen 'expected by Nov 13' on another 'Expected TODAY'......

Why can't next day mean next day?

I ordered it Wednesday with next day delivery because I NEEDED it today.

USELESS
I've not relied on any supplier's "next day" delivery for years. After a couple of let-downs/near-misses, I got wise. Now, if I need anything in a hurry I buy it locally - even if it isn't as cheap.

My rant for today..............? It's another "world gone mad" one. Anyone here read this?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have been reminded, this morning, that several national retail groups have developed an new marketing ploy.................

"Can we e-mail the receipt to you, to save paper?".

No you can't! I don't want you inundating me with spam - when I want stuff, I'll buy it. Also, I don't have a printer so what happens when I need to return something?

I think this thread should be re-named The World's Gone Mad. :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Today, I offer you..........

Modern cars not having a full-sized spare wheel well. We have (at least) a couple of road trips planned for the next year or so. Now call me old-fashioned but I don't fancy being 1500 miles from home with a puncture and no spare wheel. I'd rather just change the wheel and be on my way than have to deal with getting a tyre fixed/replaced in Italian (or, worse still, French).

OK, so this grump probably isn't up to my usual standard. Mi dispiace.
sad.png
Having said <<< that, DO NOT suggest I carry the aerosol stuff!

·
Kitbasher
4,616 Posts
Today, I offer you..........

Modern cars not having a full-sized spare wheel well. We have (at least) a couple of road trips planned for the next year or so. Now call me old-fashioned but I don't fancy being 1500 miles from home with a puncture and no spare wheel. I'd rather just change the wheel and be on my way than have to deal with getting a tyre fixed/replaced in Italian (or, worse still, French).

OK, so this grump probably isn't up to my usual standard. Mi dispiace.
sad.png
Having said <<< that, DO NOT suggest I carry the aerosol stuff!
I am the proud owner of a Mercedes Benz C Class AMG Sport, new February 2017.

It has no spare, nor room for one.

Coming home from Gatwick Airport last month after a lovely holiday at 9:30pm I hit an unsighted object in the dark at around 75MPH (honest officer) and with a loud bang the tyre deflated instantly. I drove to the hard shoulder across 4 packed lanes of traffic, it was raining lightly.

Roadside Assistance warned of a 1 hour delay. RAC man (MB Contract RAC to carry out Roadside Assistance) WITHOUT a get you home wheel/tyre they normally carry.

He calls up flatbed.

Long story short flatbed delayed, it continued to rain (harder) and we got home, via a second flatbed, at 3:30 am.

Do I wish that my shiny, lovely Merc had a spare -
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
my old Mercedes a relatively modest C180 CLC did have one.

Oh and the can of sticky stuff is no good if you have a 2" tear in the sidewall of your lovely fat/low profile Bridgestone Potenza!
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
My new car has no spare and a can of something to re-inflate a punctured tyre, I just hope it never happens.... A friend who bought a new car recently which also didn't have a spare asked the dealer to supply a spare wheel/tyre - it cost him £500

David

·
Eddie Grice
2,400 Posts
With you on this one. My previous Civic had nothing but did have recess for spacesaver, bought one at just over £100.
Current German car has nothing and no space for anything...."but you have the roadside assistance sir"!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We're planning on doing these trips in will be a convertible so space will be hard to find if we want to have the roof down (which we do want). In a saloon or estate a full-sized spare would be no problem. I suppose I need to have a look a similar car before making too many assumptions.

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
My current car has an emergency spare. For me, that is an absolute minimum requirement. I simply will not buy a car without a spare. If that means I will be driving this or a similar older car forever, so be it.

I think there are two drivers behind this trend: Increasingly restrictive fuel consumption goals are forcing manufacturers to look for eight savings everywhere and, of course, elimination of a component is a profit opportunity.

In the same vein, I am certain that the sourcing and installation of a touch screen, widely touted as a feature, is far cheaper as a manufacturing process than the procurement, wiring and separate installation of an array of mechanical and electromechanical controls for heating, AC, radio tuning and volume, CD or tape controls etc. Of course, in addition to necessitating looking away from the road instead of making adjustments by feel, replacement of the whole (expensive) assembly instead of a single malfunctioning switch is a highly profitable service opportunity.

The last vehicle that I owned that had a real wheel and tire as spare was a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. While it had its faults that led to eventual replacement - bulk, fuel consumption (13 mpg average at best) and the need to remove and store the heavy 3rd row seats to use the full capacity, it gave up nothing in fit and finish compared to the '94 Mercedes wagon that it replaced.

EM

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
My current car has an emergency spare. For me, that is an absolute minimum requirement. I simply will not buy a car without a spare. If that means I will be driving this or a similar older car forever, so be it.
I have an original Mkl Mazda MX5 with an emergency spare that takes up about a quarter of the fairly small boot but my new MklV MX5 has a tiny boot and even an emergency spare would use up well over a third of the space. There's no place where a spare could be stored below the boot so it has to be the can of gunk.

David

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
I guess my view is tempered by the unfortunate fact that should I be able to fold myself into the Mazda, I would need an engine hoist to get out! OTOH, in 1963 I did cross the US with wife in a 3 litre Healey with a full sized spare occupying most of the boot but, to be honest, it was fitted with a luggage rack.

EM

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Al

Even my 94 year old mother can get in and out of my MX5 so a youngster like you should manage it...

Another grump, because the boot on the MklV MX5 is so small they will sell you a boot rack for.... £660 !!

David

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
If there is a well that just fits the spacesaver, what are you supposed to do with the wheel and tyre you have just removed?

One motoring magazine reported that they had a Porsche of some ilk on test and the journo decided to take his wife in full finery to the theatre in it. It was a wet evening. They had a rear puncture - and a spacesaver. She had to make the rest of the trip with the dead wheel and tyre on her lap as there was nowhere else in the car to put it.

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
In 47 years of driving I remember having to change a tyre at the side of the road once,about 20 years ago. Tyres have improved dramatically over the last 50 years and a total failure is very unlikely (even given the current state of UK roads). The space saver in my '96 Alfa Spider took up at least half of the boot space so it didn't take long to decide a small can of latex was a better idea.

Mike

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
-And sometimes even a spare may not save you. I was taking my daughter to college - full Volvo station wagon + rooftop carrier + bicycle on rack. Traveling on a high speed divided highway, I suddenly came upon a Grand Canyon-sized pothole and could no avoid it - hit it with both tires on the left side!

EM

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
A couple of things have made me grumpy recently.............

Why is it, these days, that everyone has to be seen to leave a "legacy" when they depart this mortal coil? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. :wacko: We recently had a high-profile case locally where a young child (<6, IIRC) succumbed to cancer. Very sad, I know - particularly for his/her nuclear family. However, people are now talking about what his/her legacy will be. What can anyone, least of all a young child, achieve in a few short years that can be remotely construed as a legacy?

Certain media outlets insisting on including a person's age in news reports. "Robert Mugabe, 93, ....." "PM Theresa May, 61, .........". Why? What does it matter how old they are, unless it has any relevance to the report?

You will probably deduce from the above that I'm not a lover of news media.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
I have a 3 year old Nissan with built in GPS and thought it might be time to update it when it was serviced last week. How much for a new sd card with the latest maps please? That would be £149 sir. What? I could buy a new Garmin for less than that with free lifetime updates and the annual service on the car only costs £189! Does anybody actually fall for that rip-off?
grump.gif
grump.gif

761 - 780 of 7131 Posts