SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I realised I am really grumpy about people giving half informed, half baked advice, that further confuses people seeking help.

I am even grumpier, when those same people try to either defend said position, or discount facts by saying it is all opinion.
If it is on the Internet it must be true!

I find Snopes.com helps me find a bit of sanity... as well as theregister.co.uk ... and watching Mr Roger's Neighborhood...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
No proper farmers' markets in your neck of the woods?

If I had time I would gladly sped hours getting my produce directly from the farmers or at least form a local distributor I could go to if I were not happy..

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
As a former trolley corraler I can tell you those things are made for fast driving... The parking lot we had to get the carts from was on a slight incline and you could ride the carts down use your feet to apply brakes to the rear wheels and steering the car where you had to go (American shopping carts' rear wheels are in a fixed position, you can do this on European ones but it takes more skill and flexibility)

But I agree, in general on the Continent I am completely unclear why they move they way they do. Let's say I am walking along with a cart in a supermarket and I am approaching an aisle that has a display poking out of the end of it, reducing the width of the aisle I am in by about 60 cm... well the Continental will try to go between me and the sticking out bit when there is at least 40% less space on that side!

I also cycle to work and no matter how much I ring my little dinga-ling (bell that is) people invariable act shocked, SHOCKED that a bike is on the BIKE PATH and if there are more than one of them they will always both try to go to the opposite side to get out of the way, i.e. crash into each other and blocking my path even more.

Luckily, this seems specific to Germany: When there are massive lines at the cash registers and a new one opens up the people in the back (who have waited the least or not at all) will mow down children, handicapped, old people and even animals to rush to the cash register that has opened up ....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
So why the hell is it now the norm to do it notes first?
I dunno.. it has always been that way for my whole life and I have a wallet with a little coins pocket that I dump the coins into first then slip the bills/notes into the side pocket.

Getting the coins underneath would actually tick me off.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
IMO this is a major contribution to falling driving standards. It wasn't that long ago that cars had no "safety" equipment built-in,
I remember back in the early 90's in the US when "passive restraints" were required and some auto manufacturers hadn't figured out how to get airbags working so we had "motorized mice" that moved along the top of the door that essentially laid the should belt across your chest for you. The problem? The lap belt had to be fastened manually and since most drivers were too lazy there were thousands of crushed legs and hips as people "submarined" under the dash.

Having driver a Triumph Spitfire year round in Great White North I can agree that when you have a non-retracting belt as your only form of protection and also by virtue of being nearly the smallest (and slowest) thing on the road you do take things a little more cautiously.

The same attitude can be seen though with how people behave online. Everything from when someone starts getting rude and insulting to downright threats as well as the shock and horror people have when they realize something THEY posted or some data THEY submitted was actually used by SOMEONE else! Shock! Horror! GDPR is in part to blame because people simply don't take the time and effort to read and understand and actually consider the consequences of what they are doing. That is part of the reason I am glad Roseanne (sic) got cancelled.

That is why I got into slot racing to a degree. In computer games you just start over. IN slot racing if I overcook it in a corner I will likely not be alone when I leave the slot. It teaches you to win socially as well as technically.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I am only 45 and I can't keep my head on straight so I have started keeping track of nearly everything in my smart phone.

To make myself feel better I give everything cryptic names like:

Rubbisscch

Glas

Pik ip dotter @ drms

A master spy I am not! :-D

But seriously, I have reminders for when I can take things to "Hexelplatz" which is your decheterie, and to take the trash out, clean the water filter, change the car tires, etc.

And when it comes to family appointments if it is either not on my phone or on the "master plan2 calendar on the wall I will forget it... likely out of spite!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Telephoned a car dealership to enquire about a new car to replace the one I had stolen.
Er, am I missing something? Why not just steal another one?

Changed car insurance policy from stolen car to it's replacement.
Right, I'm definitely confused now. Why did you insure a car you'd stolen?
That is the funniest thing I have read all month!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Something similar happened to my daughter at elementary school.

She was accused of bullying and even though we had proof that she was no where near the place that the supposed bullying happened they insisted on going through the motions of in my mind really was treating her as guilty until proven innocent and not the other way around.

The whole thing dragged on for months until surprise surprise the accusing party stopped doing whatever it was she was supposed to do and the case was more or less dropped.

In secondary school the same thing happened again. It was handled slightly better in that they did interrogate the accuser until she admitted she was picking on my daughter but the process to get there was very long and also a bit ridiculous as they expected 15 year olds to manage the problem between two 10 year olds... the 15 year olds barely looked up from their phones the whole time...

Don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to being safe and being believed but we do seem to spend a lot of time on situations where things are so obvious that there are lies being perpetrated...

Look at the various elections/referenda in 2016
banana.gif
dribble.gif
ohmy.png
*ducks.... runs*....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I grew up on a farm and was beheading and plucking chickens at 4 years old.

I also cried myself into a stupor when one of our guinea pigs died in February.

For me it is all about attachment.

If I see a cow, I see steak. If I see an ostrich, I see nice big drum sticks.

If I see a bunny... I remind myself I don't like the taste. :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Similar in the vein of the "online vs. local" shopping thing: I hate it when a contractor won't listen to me or don't ask and just "assume" things.

Maybe because I am a foreigner and not dealing with them in their native language but the number of times I ask a question, say about how to program the water heater to save energy I get the response "Most customers usually just leave it on all the time".

Well no shift Sherlock:

A: I am not "most" customers
and

B: Because of that we are wasting energy like crazy

Similarly I get angry when they do do what I want but then tall me post facto that there was a better way of doing it!

The previous owner of our house had a "winter garden" that was shoddily built and in the summer would get up to 50°C (I am not joking.

We asked what it would cost to remove the sides and replace the roof (acrylic plastic I think). The main reason (and I am sure I told them this) of replacing the roof was because it was very dirty and the previous owner had actually spray painted it in spots.

They did just that... and while they were replacing the roof I mentioned it said on the packaging that the roof is self-cleaning at which point the guy says "Oh you have to have them at at least a 15° angle for that to work... well crap... now we have to crawl up there 2-3 times a year to clean it...

Same thing with the solar panels for heating our water, they mounted them at a shallower angle because they thought it "looked better" but that means in the winter they hardly work. They never asked me!

41 - 60 of 204 Posts