SlotForum banner
881 - 900 of 7130 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I realised I am really grumpy about people giving half informed, half baked advice, that further confuses people seeking help.

I am even grumpier, when those same people try to either defend said position, or discount facts by saying it is all opinion.
If it is on the Internet it must be true!

I find Snopes.com helps me find a bit of sanity... as well as theregister.co.uk ... and watching Mr Roger's Neighborhood...

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Feeling grumpy about all you moaning old sods....the sun is shining, its a brand new day...lets get out there and do it to them before they do it to us.
Whenever I do that ............ you delete my post ... ;) .......... :lmfao:

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
On cards:

When my consulting business was active, I had a list of clients and prospective clients to whom I sent holiday cards, Invariably with a printed message and an Impressionist (usually Monet) cover - part of the business - beyond that, very few.

I once "stepped in it" very badly by making a comment to my (ex) wife about "Hallmark Holidays" - Mother's Day, Father's Day, Second Cousin Twice Removed's Day, etc. That comment came back to haunt me for years. My preference, when someone with whom I have a close connection is celebrating/observing/memorializing an event, is that now nearly forgotten mode of communication, a letter.

Occasionally I have been moved to broadcast a greeting to my internet friends via sketch such as:

gallery_99_85_35154.jpg

And that is about it for the activity

EM

·
Gordon Steadman
6,995 Posts
I have a folder in my documents marked 'letters'. I had almost forgotten its existence. Upon opening said folder I see there is just one letter inside. Addressed to my sister and dated 27th August 2010.

I haven't actually written a letter as opposed to sending a printed one since I first had the Mac in 1985. For someone like me,who is is now almost totally deaf, email is the preferred way of communicating as I like quick too!

Time sure do change. Mind you, with my handwriting, there is a definite advantage to computer fonts
smile.png

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Would someone please tell the Cambridge clan that live in the big houses, to please stop breeding.

Every time one of them drops a few kg into the populace, all the royalists and silly women go down here in hobbit land go gaga ga ga ga gaga gooo goooo.

Today the one cutting my hair paid too much attention to her colleagues and rumoured names, and not enough to where she was putting the skissors . . as a result, I have a rather less than optimally sheared scone.

If this carries on, I am going to request that Macron form a fleet and have one more crack back across the channel.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Bought my Daily Telegraph this morning to find the front and next four pages full of Royal baby stuff. Whizzed past that to get to proper news only to find an extra 8 page supplement lurking inside with more rubbish about it.

How do you manage to fill 13 pages of a major national newspaper with garbage about a one day old baby who has done nothing except be born and who will probably never become King?

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
"Newspaper" is a misnomer. The only things printed in these daily comics are what will sell them. They do not exist to inform you as they would purport, they only exist to make money. And another thing . . . . I don't like being told, or manipulated, on what to think. Every comic has its own axe to grind and line of propaganda to push. What is the purpose of an "editorial" ? Who cares what the editor thinks? We already know anyway from the material that is published - and not published.

I prefer my brain unwashed so I stick to only reading motor sports and slot car related publications!

Keith

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Royal baby, royal wedding, celebrity baby, celebrity wedding/romance/affair/divorce.......... DO NOT get me started! WHY does anyone give a flying you-know-what?? Is it because their own lives are so insignificant? I don't care that my life is insignificant, I don't need to live it through other people.

One comment in the media (I think it was one of the online mass-media outlets) really made me want to throw-up............. "Kate's fans are gathering outside the hospital" Fans? Really? Is she a pop star or a sports star? .............And don't call her Kate,her name is Catherine - have some respect!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
"Having reignited republican revolutionary flames in the old country, the old git decided he was going to have a moan free day" while hiding from HRH's special forces who hunt out the traitors and treasonous

That said, today is ANZAC day in the far colonies, (Australian & New Zealand Armed Constabulary) when we remember and show our respect those who served - and died - for "king and country"

We have little of substance to man about. Nearly all of us lost one or more direct family.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Growing up in Australia we were taught ANZAC was the acronym of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Thinking there may have been differences between the two countries word groups that led to the acronym, I decided to do some searching, but my search for Australian & New Zealand Armed Constabulary has produced no results. More information on this would be appreciated.

·
re member
4,389 Posts
I prefer my brain unwashed so I stick to only reading motor sports and slot car related publications!
Very wise....I think I like you Keith!

we were taught ANZAC was the acronym of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
Me too growing up in NZ though.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Oh I may have the "Constabulary wrong". Someone once quoted that to me, and it stuck in my brain as seeming unusual to use a policing term not a military term.

To be honest, we don't think about the individual words much, ANZAC just sums us up.

Our daughter was living in London and did a run to Passchendaele for a very memorable ANZAC day ceremony in 2016.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Today I would like to grump about ungrateful wildlife. I know they are not capable of being grateful but that is not the point.

First off - hedgehogs, the alleged gardener's friend. I put food and water out for them every night and they have a deluxe hedgehog house in the garden for their daytime nap. Do they repay me by eating the slugs? No they don't! In fact they share their food bowl with the damn slugs and leave them alone while chomping into their biscuits.

Mice - we have a few field mice in the garden who steal the hedgehogs' food. I don't mind that but why do they have to eat my vegetable seeds as well?

Birds - we feed them and they repay me by crapping all over the car!

Our two resident blackbirds also steal the hedgehog's food although they get a daily feast of meal-worms and sultanas. Then they go and slaughter the newts in our pond!

881 - 900 of 7130 Posts