SlotForum banner
1121 - 1140 of 7340 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Three times in the last two days I've been queuing at checkouts and someone (it's actually been women each time, but I don't want to come across as being totally sexist.......) has got to the till, had their items scanned...................

............And then realised they actually have to pay for them.
yikes.gif

Only then did they start to search for the correct card, or enough cash. :grump:

How difficult can it be to find the payment while you're queuing?
wacko.png

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I totally agree! I have been whinging about this for years and from observation find that about 50% of females find it a total surprise when they are asked to pay at the check-outs. I suppose men notice it because they (we) hate shopping, and can't wait to get out of there so do everything possible to speed up the process. Having said that, it also drives my wife up the wall. Suffering fools is not one of her strong points.

Keith

PS Is this topic the most replied to on the Forum? Gordon certainly hit a rich vein when he started this!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
The internal temperature had been set at 20 degrees. Half the comments suggested that such a temperature was tantamount to freezing their whatsits off.
We live on an exposed south-west-facing valley side. We are constantly exposed to the prevailing winds. 20deg in our house is definitely a luxury.

In fact, as I type this we are being battered by Storm Ali. In spite of our recently-built nearly-all-glass porch, the temperature in the living room is 18.5deg. I'm sitting here in tracky-bottoms and t-shirt. I'm not cold. :wacko: Mind, my parents never bought a centrally-heated house until I was about 10, and even then double-glazing was unheard of.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
We didn't have no double glazing, central heating nor inside toilet until I was gone 18, in the winter ice formed on the insides of the windows, literally had to crack the ice to take a crap, not out of the window mind. My mother got up first to light the fire, but with an open fire you don't really get any heat for ages.

Had some tree's down here in the storm, maybe get some more tomorrow, plenty of firewood for next winter. Sat here in front of wood stove, wife had me light it, she feels the cold, nice Islay single malt from Lidl, feels about 35c. Grumping, not me.
cheers.gif
Jason

·
Gordon Steadman
7,025 Posts
I'm looking forward to some Scottish weather. A summer like this one has convinced us that our decision to move is the right one.

There is only so much you can take off (in public) but if you are cold, a good set of thermals and decent wool jumpers soon fixes that and it's far more stimulating than sitting around sweating.

50 degrees does seem a bit excessive!! It's been close to 40 degrees here at times but inside is a comfortable 17/18 degrees even with that outside.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
So when it's nearly 50° out what happens if you hang clothes out that should not be washed over 30°?
Not something I've given a lot of thought to I must admit...things tend to dry instantly here...bit like the reverse of flash freezing
innocent.gif

Brown Sky Ecoregion Natural environment Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
I grew up in the Northeast US and went to college in a small town in western Massachusetts. Snow removal was not a high priority and, as a result, one became accustomed to driving on packed snow from November until mid-March.

I spent 13 years in the Chicago area. One typical experience: After a prolonged cold spell the temperature rose to 20° F and it felt as if I should walk the dog in my shirtsleeves.

I moved to the mid-Atlantic 30 years ago. The combination of that more temperate climate and age have erased all of my low-temperature tolerance.

I now keep the thermostat my apartment set at 76° F and let the heating and air-conditioning systems decide which one needs to operate.

EM

20° F = -6° C, 76° F= 24°C

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Not sure if I've done this one or not............ I get really charred-off when dog owners assume the whole world population should love their animals just because they do.

I work for a large grocery retailer. The particular store is alongside parkland. I arrive at work at 05hr45 this morning, and (unbeknown to me) a couple of dog owners have parked their cars in the store car park while allowing their dogs to run free in the parkland.

I park, get out of the car, and within a few seconds I'm surrounded by 7 barking dogs, most of which are jumping up at me. :yikes: Now, I don't like dogs.
mad.gif

The owners, who are both elderly - certainly older than me - shout at the dogs which take bugger-all notice, from about 100mtrs away, and also at me;- "They won't hurt you, they just want to play!" These dogs are not small, a couple of them got their paws on my shoulders. When I shouted back at the owners to get the dogs away from me, I got;- "There's no need to be nasty, they're friendly!". I'm sorry, but 7 dogs - none of them less than 2ft at the shoulder - running at you, barking their heads off, is not my idea of friendly. It was only afterwards when I calmed-down (by which time it was too late), that I thought that I should have 'phoned the police because the owners obviously had very little control over their animals.

Neither the owners or dogs would have been happy if the animals had my steel-toed boot connect with their reproductives.
ohmy.png
.......And I'd probably be on a charge of animal cruelty.
wacko.png

·
Gordon Steadman
7,025 Posts
Here, in theory, it's against the law to let dogs off the lead in public. The French being French mostly ignore this law as it interferes with their freedom. I agree with you about dogs, some of seem to me to be dangerous wild animals and are big enough to frighten the hell out of me.

But it's a bit like babies, the 'owners' think the sun shines out of their nappies whereas I....don't. It's always a toss up between their freedom to enjoy themselves and have freedom of expression and mine.

Apparently, mine is less important.

·
David H
4,298 Posts
You are so right about dog owners assuming everyone loves them as much as they do. Drives me mad as I can't stand dogs. The only things worse are horses, or rather, their riders.

It seems so simple to me: if you can't or won't control your dog or horse in a shared environment, take it somewhere where you don't have to share the space with anyone. Preferably a butchery.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,025 Posts
I don't think I'd go that far. I like animals but there is a place and time for everything and imposing on others who may not think the way you do is not the way to behave.

I know people don't like cats. We have three. If I found that they were annoying the neighbours by trying to help them make their plants grow quicker, I would keep them in. As it happens the cats are welcomed by all our neighbours including those with dogs. Said dogs are fenced in and never let out without leads. One advantage out here is that most people have quite a bit of land attached to their houses so it is, fortunately, a rare occasion when we are bothered with stray dogs. Not nice when it happens though.

The one occasion an Alsation got into our garden, the poor mutt got his face shredded. "You chose the wrong cat to attack" If you think dogs are dangerous!!
biggrin.png

1121 - 1140 of 7340 Posts