SlotForum banner
1141 - 1160 of 7145 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
I have owned three dogs. They are all gone and, in each case, I mourned their passing. One, in particular, was of note vis-a-vis this thread:

gallery_99_85_127918.jpg

McSorley, named for a New York alehouse, was an Irish Wolfhound. He was trained to the "Companion Dog" level of obedience. Although I was quite confident that I could take him anywhere with complete voice only control, he was always on a lead when in public because I knew that the sight of such an animal, apparently unrestrained, would be disturbing to many people. (He also grew up with two cats who found him to be a very comfortable place to sleep)

EM

·
Gordon Steadman
6,995 Posts
Yup, it's all about taking other people's reaction into account. Our three cats don't mind the neighbour's dogs at all - them being behind a high fence might have something to do with it
smile.png

·
Gordon Steadman
6,995 Posts
Just been out to feed the bunnies and it's quite cool out there. 9 degrees. I suppose this means the end of T shirt and shorts weather and a return of trousers and jumpers. Summer can't last for ever but these old bones are starting to appreciate the warmer (not hotter thanks) weather.

We still won't turn the heating on until the need for two jumpers drives us but it's a long time until spring.
mad.gif

·
Gordon Steadman
6,995 Posts
Whilst I'm in the whinging mood....and I know I moaned about this before but I think my taste buds are going to die.

As we are winding down all our livestock in preparation for the move, we no longer have any chickens. We ate some but mostly they were kept for eggs.

We just had an omelette made with some 'free range' eggs from the supermarket. If I had my eyes closed, I wouldn't know what it was. No flavour, yolks obviously yellow because of what the birds are fed rather than just come that way, shells that collapse as soon as looked at and runny watery whites.

We are being held ransom to economics of scale. As soon as we get to where we end up, it's back to proper food - can't wait.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Government's waste of our money.
grump.gif
grump.gif

Last week I bought a new car. Today I received 3 separate franked envelopes from the DVLA:

1) a small slip of paper acknowledging I didn't own my previous car anymore.

2) A refund cheque for my unused road tax.

3) My new registration document. This also contained a leaflet warning me that I would be boiled alive in a vat of oil if I didn't tax the new one.

Bearing in mind that it is impossible to buy a new car without paying the first year's road tax and said leaflet is therefore completely unnecessary, they have totally wasted two postage costs and a leaflet printing bill. Everything could have gone in one envelope with a bit of joined up thinking.

Not a huge sum wasted in the overall scheme of things you might think, but multiply it by the number of new cars sold in a year and you begin to understand why they don't have enough money to fix the potholes on our roads!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Agreed. The DVLA is mostly a bureaucratic waste of money.

The money raised by "Road Tax" could be easily raised with no additional bureaucratic input, by putting a penny or two on fuel tax. Bingo - he who uses the roads most pays the most, and all the road tax collection empire can be removed. A simple records office is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Should have added this at the same time.Just come back from Gibraltar , petrol£1.01 per litre diesel£0.98 per litre and its all imported,how do they do it?

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Simple ........ they don't get the Daily (Hate) Mail so are not influenced by the bile it relentlessly spews out ..........
censored.gif

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
gallery_99_85_127918.jpg

With a such a magnificent dog, I would have thought that the presence or otherwise of a leash is immaterial ................ I would have called him Baskerville, myself ...... ;)

·
Electric model car driver
1,686 Posts
And while we're still on the subject of cats and dogs, I'm quickly becoming so intolerant of cats, if I see one on our property I feel like opening the door and letting our dog out to see it off. Unfortunately I can't do that as Sally left us almost 8yrs ago and that's when the problem started. Without her being around the neighbours cat decided that our yard should become its toilet as there were no longer any doggy-doos in the yard for me to pick up. Grudgingly I disposed of them until the cat passed on or the neighbours moved and took it with them. Yippee I thought, it's over at last and it was for ages until recently. New neighbours in 3 neighbouring houses and new cats I've never seen before and I don't know which one's the culprit and what neighbour it belongs to. My wife and I both want to get another dog but I'm not keen on getting another until one or other of us is retired.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,995 Posts
It would be an unusual animal that didn't need to defecate. At least cats usually bury theirs. We were out on our walk yesterday and the number of nasty brown lumps on the pavement was disgusting. This, where most dogs are on leads. Those few that are allowed to roam quite often come into the open bit of our garden and leave us presents, usually in the middle of the grass.

I don't find any of it particularly pleasant but it is a fact of life. I think we have to accept that people's preferences are different and accept that there will always be a thing or two that annoy but are difficult to avoid.

The world is full of sugar. Most of it is just too small to be noticed, flies do it, fleas do it, all god's chilluns do it. Just think of it as manure and your garden will grow
smile.png

PS Now that is an interesting change ...S H I T to sugar
biggrin.png

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Less of a grump but more of question: I was at the Hockenheimring at the weekend and there are no seats for pure mortals that can see the whole track. In the south stands there are a few rows there were you can everything except for the lead up to the "parabolica" i.e. the long almost straight left hand curve that leads to the hairpin on the east side of the track.

Now having grown up near Michigan International Speedway we always took binoculars so we could follow the cars all the way round.

At Hockenheim, while you can see the cars you can of course see them better with binoculars..

Now I have noticed that I am pretty much the only one I could see doing that. Granted this weekend there were large TVs set up that you could almost read the text on but with binoculars it was like sitting at home... Most races don't have the TVs though.

So the question is, am I really weird for wanting to see everything up close?

In my defense, there was one accident that was not covered by the TV cameras and the announcer had no clue what happened but me with my binoculars saw how it came to pass...

:)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I've got to say that on the rare occasions that I go to a motorsport event I never buy seats. I much prefer being able to view the action from different spectator areas. OK, so I may miss some of the action but you can't be in multiple places at the same time. Plus I like to experience the event from different perspectives.

We're all different - it's what makes the world go 'round.
smile.png

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts
gallery_99_85_127918.jpg

With a such a magnificent dog, I would have thought that the presence or otherwise of a leash is immaterial ................ I would have called him Baskerville, myself ......
wink.png
Thank you. He was, indeed a wonderful family member. Sadly, the breed, like the other giants, is short-lived. McSorley left us after a bit more than 6 years - that was 46 years ago (No, I don't look much like the guy in the photo these days.) In addition to being very large, he was remarkably intelligent and easy to train. While typically not aggressive, his presence alone made him an excellent guard dog. The only exception to this calm nature occurred when a neighbor's German Shepherd (Alsatian), routinely allowed to run free despite numerous protests, made the grievous error of attacking me when we were on a walk.

EM

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
So first time posting to this topic, why?

Well most of the time I can put up with a lot of crap but I have just spent the last month working in Dubai. Now before I start on my gripe I should say that I do not like Dubai. I don't like the oppressive regime. I don't like the way that state dictates what you can and can't do and I don't like the humidity. I do like the heat and absolutely love the curries. If you are ever in Dubai you must checj to Gazebo, their biryani's are to die for.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
So back again,

Did you know that it is illegal to use or own a walkie-talkie in Dubai without a commercial licence? Did you also know that private VPN's are also outlawed. Skype is unusable and so is hangouts. UK mobile phones cost a fortune there so it is worth your while buying a local SIM for a few AED.

So why the gripe? well it's the UK infrastructure.

I got off the plane at Manchester having departed from Dubai, we are greeted with a sign stating "Welcome to Great Britain". Now Manchester airport is a ****hole compared to Dubai. There are three of us work colleagues - Myself and my MD have UK chipped passports, our colleague being French has an EU chipped passport. He flies though passport control, myself and the MD are instructed to seek assistance, so join that line. There is one border control dude for that line and it takes forever. World travelers are passing us by in the adjacent line. Eventually we get through control only to have to wait 40mins for our baggage.

I get down to the station and hop on a train to Piccadilly which leaves straight away but trundles along at 30mph.

Arriving at Piccadilly, I pop into Boots and buy a bottle of water for £1, which in Dubai I pay the equivalent of 30p. We have more rain than most countries in the world and I can buy a bottle of water in a desert state for a third of the price.

Now frankly this country is becoming a joke, we are fleeced at every possible opportunity and we get absolutely nothing in return.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather put up with the carp in this country than live in Dubai but man we are all being taken for a ride.

I'm writing this on the final leg of my journey from Piccadilly to Hull and we are crawling along on a Transpennine 'Express'.

I may have more to add later.

To quote Joe Strummer - "Welcome to Britain"

PS: Emirates used to be a great airline but they suck now.

I should be really happy to be home but I can't get over feeling really depressed right now.

Snap out of it Gaz

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Some you win and some you lose. Just got caught for duty on an item sent from the USA, first time in a while. I don't mind the £4.67 duty but the £8 handling fee to the Royal Mail is a total rip off. £8 for doing what exactly?
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif

1141 - 1160 of 7145 Posts