SlotForum banner

GOGS...Grumpy Old Gits Society..

332355 Views 8266 Replies 133 Participants Last post by  StuBeeDoo
after all the years of suffering being called a miserable old bar-steward by mrs zz , I am finally rejoicing that she has come round to my way of thinking. the source of this wonderment?... a newly found joint loathing of the foul phenomenon of otherwise seemingly intelligent individuals starting a sentence with the word "so"!!!! if you have been asked , "how do you propose to re-attach that button"? , or , "what method would you use to distribute seed in your garden" , fair enough but otherwise , nooooooooooo! other current hot favourites are "yoofs" with their kecks hanging out the top of their trousers and newly qualified drivers with a green p plate (clearly designating pillock) who refuse to commit to crossing a roundabout without having received a written invitation at least a fortnight in advance! what gets your hackles up?
Reactions: 1
1381 - 1400 of 8267 Posts
Why did nobody complain when peanut butter was named all those years ago?

A lot of vegans like the taste of meat, it's the cruelty that we can't stand!

Cheers

John
In general use, the term "butter" refers to the spread dairy product when unqualified by other descriptors. The word commonly is used to describe puréed vegetable or seed and nut products such as peanut butter and almond butter. It is often applied to spread fruit products such as apple butter. Fats such as cocoa butter and shea butter that remain solid at room temperature are also known as "butters". Non-dairy items that have a dairy-butter consistency may use "butter" to call that consistency to mind, including food items such as maple butter and witch's butter and nonfood items such as baby bottom butter, hyena butter, and rock butter. (Wicki)

Presumably, a bit of common sense was around at the time and no food would be the cause of such a load of hysterical reaction (the guy in question was 'appalled, outraged and heartbroken' over what appeared to be an understandable mistake by a member of staff). In 1884, I imagine that people worried more about survival than descriptions of the food they could find to eat.
See less See more
Why did nobody complain when peanut butter was named all those years ago?

A lot of vegans like the taste of meat, it's the cruelty that we can't stand!

Cheers

John
My opinion stands. It's fine to like the taste but it isn't meat. Call it something else and no-one has a complaint as it's clear it isn't meat by mistake.
Gus, you're behind the times. Butter is now applied to the body. It comes in loads of flavours* and is selling fast. Apparently.

Tableware Food Dishware Ingredient Fruit

* Presumably this stuff isn't meant to be eaten, so what word is more appropriate than flavour?

The Body Shop

Attachments

See less See more
Must preface this with the fact I am not a trucker or a stobart spotter, although back in the days of working in industry as a shopfitting and exhibitions manager I did on occasions have to drive a 7.5 tonne ford cargo box van. Teaching technology, manufacturing and engineering our nearest major manufacturer to visit for gcse and btec coursework is the big yellow digger company, there we were told all about just in time deliveries, including exhausts from India!!!! that's the reason for truck racing, I was reading the company in Eastern Europe that supplies wiring harnesses to jag/Land rover has three days notice and a 4 hour delivery window, so given that trucks have similar power outputs, payloads and drag coefficient it's probably inevitable that they have a speed differential of about 0.5 mph so while I too suffer on the A50 and A500 I understand the real reasons, god knows what it'll be like after a no deal brexit, Kent will be a truck parc, apparently the guys in today's convoys from RAF manston to Dover Port and back were paid £550 for their trouble, can we have more stories of gus drifting bedford tk trucks please.
See less See more
biggrin.png

That must have struck a bell!!

TKs are pretty lightweight stuff compared with the big rigs.
See less See more
god knows what it'll be like after a no deal brexit, Kent will be a truck parc,
No it won't. It'll be a truck park. Au revoir franglaise...
tongue.png
See less See more
Christ! If we can get rid of Welsh and franglaise in one hit, what a result that would be!
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
See less See more
Well, I came here to bitch about folk posting Accessories under Cars on eBay but yer butter talk reminded me that I saw something about almond milk and soya milk today and fairly had a coronary. Milk comes from mammals. Should just call the fake stuff juice.

Or disgusting to taste.

Or both.

As you were.
milk of magnesia?

The milky way?

No mammals in sight here...
............. almond milk and soya milk .................. Milk comes from mammals. Should just call the fake stuff juice.
Pedant alert.............

I try to keep my dairy intake as low as possible (it's a cholesterol thing.......) and I use "soya milk" on my breakfast cereal. My products of choice are labelled "Unsweetened soya - alternative to dairy milk". So they don't actually label it "soya milk".

..... disgusting to taste.
One man's meat is another man's poison. I actually can't tell very much difference between soya alternative and semi-skimmed dairy milk.
One man's meat is another man's poison. I actually can't tell very much difference between soya alternative and semi-skimmed dairy milk.
On this different taste thing. We grow most of our own food. Our neighbours can't taste the difference between our tomatoes and shop bought. One is tasteless pap and the other bursts in the mouth and sets the old buds aglow and the saliva dripping. Shows what smoking does to the enjoyment of food.

We also keep animals for food. They get good treatment and are killed quickly and cleanly. We fuss them right up until they are dispatched. Sadly, as we are now winding down towards a move, we are having to use shop bought meat. The cruelty bit does worry us but not enough to stop eating what is, to us, a natural diet. We took a couple of ducks to the local abattoir as we always find them a bit hard to kill quickly compared with chickens or rabbits and the guys there were so rough with them, getting them into cages, that we bought them straight home again and did it ourselves.

I suppose people get used to it. I for one, hate killing ants or spiders but still don't believe that a solely plant based diet is adequate.
See less See more
The farmers are making a fuss about the "extra cost" of given piglets an anesthetic before castrating them. At least they don't abort (like with male chicks) or kill them straight after birth.

I know that for humans at a local doctor an anesthetic costs around 10-15€ depending on where and how much (yes I have had lots of bits cut into/removed but nothing that rendered me incapable of.... functions...) and I would guess given that they can do this in a slightly industrial manner I would say the cost would go down to 5-10w per piglet.

Now I know many pig farms held thousands of pigs at any given time and yes 2500€ is a lot of money (guessing about 500 piglets) I would guess you several hundred per pig when fully grown. Based on an ARD (German version of the BBC) article the rock bottom price is 4€ per kilo. The usually get butchered at 120 KG so that is about 1-2 € per Kilo. If you factor in both genders (I can't tell if a pork chop is from a sow or bull) then that drops to .50 to 1€ per kilo.

I find it odd that that can't be passed on to consumers.

To bring it back to slot cars (or anything for that matter): I get so sick and tired of hearing that things have to be made in China so they can be offered "at a price that the consumer is willing to pay"... this usually comes from publicly traded companies that pay managers 6 figure bonuses. That really get me heckles up ...

I know it may sound disingenuous on the one hand saying consumers should pay more and then complaining about manufacturing in China but for the two are very different scenarios.

Most important fact: I have not had enough coffee and it is nearly lunch time so this might be an insulin-deficient induced blurb of utter nonsense..
See less See more
I actually can't tell very much difference between soya alternative and semi-skimmed dairy milk.
Whoa! Don't get me started on that semi-skimmed Evian milk.

What is it, 2% difference between full and semi? Geez, that'll make the pounds just drop right off, tubster.

Shaking my head in disbelief.
.................. things have to be made in China so they can be offered "at a price that the consumer is willing to pay"... this usually comes from publicly traded companies that pay managers 6 figure bonuses
Don't get me started on that one.
grump.gif

It's nothing to do with "the price the consumer is willing to pay". If anyone wants something badly enough, they'll pay the asking price. It's human nature. It's like "How much is my house worth?", for example. You know what it's worth to you, but it's only worth that if an interested buyer is willing to pay it. If no-one is interested at your asking price, then you're asking too much.

Companies get stuff manufactured in China solely so that they can make more profit, to pay bonuses to staff they think are deserving of said bonuses, and dividends to shareholders. When was the last time you saw the retail price of an item drop because the manufacturing process had been shifted to China?

Thought not!
See less See more
When was the last time you saw the retail price of an item drop because the manufacturing process had been shifted to China?

Thought not!
In '94 when SCX manufacture moved to China the F1 cars went from £27.99 retail to £9.99!
Manufacturing is China is becoming more expensive.
My wife's company are bashing more bits of metal in the Black Country, and have employed more staff in the last year.
The only reason my wife's company is not making more items, is the investment in new UK tooling is currently prohibitive, so they import components and assemble here.
Don't believe everything you see in the media about Brexit, there are lots of UK companies thriving because of it........

Simon
In '94 when SCX manufacture moved to China the F1 cars went from £27.99 retail to £9.99!
I've seen the clip of SCX's mid-90s product, and I'm not surprised they had to drop that much to sell it.
yikes.gif

Don't believe everything you see in the media about Brexit, there are lots of UK companies thriving because of it........
I was having just this conversation earlier this morning. There's far too much negativity currently being published, and I (and others I've spoken to) suspect that there are a lot more positives that we aren't being told. Scaremongering!
rolleyes.gif
See less See more
1381 - 1400 of 8267 Posts