SlotForum banner
1541 - 1560 of 7340 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
You have my full sympathy Stuart. I have one of 22 yrs (going on 8) that is very similar. Her Granny gave her £3k to bank for a car and her Dad spent £1k on driving lessons, plus insured his own car for her to practice in. She did one session in his car. She couldn't be bothered to take the theory test for 3 years, and has finally now just done it - with zero revision - and failed. We now find that she blew the £3k on partying and clothes in her failed first year at University (couldn't be bothered with the effort again).

There are huge arguments between her and her Mum which I am called upon to adjudicate on. Her and wife are good friends again within half an hour, but my words are remembered and held against me for years - by both!

Slot cars keep me sane though. There is always a new problem to solve which diverts my thoughts from the soap opera in which women live.

·
David H
4,299 Posts
I'm getting very close to telling WL it's either the daughter or me. I know what the answer to that will be, and TBH I really don't care.
Tolerance, Stuart. Tolerance. Not an easy state of mind to achieve, but it's worth trying.
thumbsup.gif

And if you're getting close to telling WL it's one or the other, then you better hope she hears it from your mouth rather than reads it here first. I rather suspect that the fallout from that would make everything else pale in comparison!
tongue.png

David.

·
Al Schwartz
3,403 Posts

Sorry, couldn't resist.
biggrin.png
Try this one then .........
I had missed these, both as broadcast (I don't watch sports on television) and here on the forum as well.

They offer ample evidence that GB Shaw was correct in Pygmalion (or in its musical reincarnation, "My Fair Lady".) There are certain patterns of speech that, on hearing, cause immediate cognitive shut-down or, if via the telephone, equally swift disconnect.

EM

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
After an enforced break from slotting since the beginning of the year, I finally got all the stuff out of the attic that had been blocking my access to my track. A cause for celebration, right? ...........Wrong!
sad.png

I could see that the track was very dusty, and wiped it several times, then set about running a car or three up the hillclimb section. After half-a-dozen or so runs the times were dropping nicely. Then................ nothing. Dead short. Tried different cars. Still nothing. Dismayed, I turned everything off, climbed down the ladder, and shut the hatch.

So now, I need to investigate the cause of the short. I can't remember just how many track pieces are in my layout, but I think it's in excess of 150. This is going to take some time, I fear.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's Star Wars isn't it?
Bingo! Jedism is a recognized religion .,...
In the Mortal Engines film & books the man who is credited with (literally) putting London in motion, Nicholas Quirk is declared a god.
In the prequel series of novels there is a cult of St Kylie; in which priestesses wear "ceremonial hot pants" ... Basically dystopian sci-fi with a sly wink ;)

How this world is heading, you never know :p

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
......... investigate the cause of the short.
It was a body screw wedged in the slot, on a section of track none of the cars have been anywhere near. So why did the cars run for at least 10mins before the short kicked-in?
wacko.png

Plus, I didn't knock it in there when I first dusted the track because I didn't go that far round.

Hey-ho.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I've got two grumps today.

My preferred social activity is a dinner party. Good friends, good food, decent wine........... A couple of times lately, the venue has been a house the host couple have only recently moved into. Now, I don't mind hearing your plans for alterations etc, etc, but please don't spoil the party by starting with a guided tour of the entire property with a five minute stop at each room of any consequence telling how the lady of the house spent days agonising over the choice of decor for each room, and how she came to her final decision as to where to buy the bed linen from. Unless we're going to play spin the bottle, or that game where all the men throw their car keys into a pile and the ladies pick one blindfold, or the party's likely to turn into a full-on orgy, I'm not interested in your bedrooms thank you. Just tell me where I can find a toilet, that's all I need to know.
wacko.png

Why is it that when you tell someone that you're on time off work, their first question is "When are you back at work?", before they ask if you're going away or have any other plans for your downtime. If I'm on the first day of a break, I don't want to be reminded about going back.
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Now, I know we ere on this rock down in zunny Darset maint be the most zuffisticated folks around, but I feel I should be getting more of thart 'Pee Cee'. Zo, all you folks out there, please be calling me 'Tea Person' from now in. Taint to much to ask, iz it? 😉

1541 - 1560 of 7340 Posts