SlotForum banner

GOGS...Grumpy Old Gits Society..

414K views 9K replies 138 participants last post by  Wobble 
#1 ·
after all the years of suffering being called a miserable old bar-steward by mrs zz , I am finally rejoicing that she has come round to my way of thinking. the source of this wonderment?... a newly found joint loathing of the foul phenomenon of otherwise seemingly intelligent individuals starting a sentence with the word "so"!!!! if you have been asked , "how do you propose to re-attach that button"? , or , "what method would you use to distribute seed in your garden" , fair enough but otherwise , nooooooooooo! other current hot favourites are "yoofs" with their kecks hanging out the top of their trousers and newly qualified drivers with a green p plate (clearly designating pillock) who refuse to commit to crossing a roundabout without having received a written invitation at least a fortnight in advance! what gets your hackles up?

Reactions: longdog
#7,548 ·
Can almost guarentee theres going to be bankruptcies this winter, even some larger chains are at risk as Covid had them hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

One thing I keep hearing is this 'new' trend, a homemade Christmas.

Have people seriously been living under rocks these past few centuries?
Thats all Christmas used to be, the only buying was generally at most base ingrediants or materials with the only whiff of it before December being those things that took longer to make.
Trees didn't appear until Christmas Eve as otherwise the bugger would be firewood before the Turkey was even killed, none of this lets put it up in September nonsense and it's decor again was usually stuff you made or if you bought it you used it year after year and didn't bin it by New years.

I think I may just do as the Animals do and hibernate, it'll be a lot less irritating.

#7,549 ·
About ten years ago I reasoned, unsuccessfully as to be expected, with SWMBO about the Christmas tree, I suggested a decent artificial one from John Lewis, approx £200 at the time, no I like a real one was the answer.
Since that time I reckon I've spent £400/500 on real trees, had the hassle of putting them up, disposing of them and clearing up the needles.

#7,552 ·
Ours always have been Artificial as Mothers allergic to real ones (I likely am too given I've got the same flower allergies but I've not been around a real one indoors long enough to see effects), just makes so much more sense from a cost and enviormental point of view as you aren't cutting down anything and can reuse it where as a real tree can only be mulched as it's not matured enough to offer much in the way of usable wood.

#7,551 ·
No tree. No presents and most certainly, no bloody parties.
Wouldn't that be great?! ;) I wish I could get my lot to tone it down a bit. Hopefully, I'll be able to get away with not putting up the decorations until a few days before and take them down again by New Year's Eve.

I/we have only got away with it the once - when we were locked-down and couldn't have anyone here. Wor Lass was happy enough to videocall the young people, we didn't bother with any decor, and we had lunch delivered. Stress-free and blissful.

#7,553 ·
Usual plans,family, 6 on Xmas day, Canard , and to start baked camembert with fresh cranberry sauce and toast, dessert of chocolate bombs, cheeseboard.
Boxing day 15 of us,Turkey, Gammon, Salmon.

All very nice but very time consuming, so I stood back and took a holistic overview, if I had to reduce the effort it'd be pigs in blankets sandwiches for me.

Praying but not holding out much hope that Santa has the Sideways Aston #97 available to distribute, no chance at all I reckon on the Mrslotcar Shadow DN4 being in his sack by then.

#7,556 ·
Keep getting these voicemails that annoy the stuff out of me. They sound a bit like "*********** ***********, wing wong wing wong, ding dong ding dong, bing bong bing bong, sing song sing song, ning nong ning nong. They've got the wrong number 'cos I don't speak asian and there's no way of letting them know. Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake of activating the voicemail by adding my name which I had not done previously. I'm seriously thinking of going back to my pre cell phone days although sometimes it is convenient to call or text someone although I never carry my phone on me so they can't get hold of me.

#7,557 ·
Keep getting these voicemails that annoy the stuff out of me.
Can you not de-activate your voicemail? ...........Or bar the number?

Back on the subject of Christmas. The stress has already started in our family...... I'm getting hassle to suggest a gift. There's nothing I can think of. I'm 65 years old, and have already gathered together (by various means) all the DIY tools I'll ever need. I might, just might, find use for a router within the next 12 months - but then again I might not (...ever).
I've got all the slot cars I want in my collection.
I don't smoke, and I've still got an un-opened bottle of Glenlivet from last Christmas.
Which part of "Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure you can put your earnings to better use" is so bloody difficult to understand???

Reactions: HiFi
#7,558 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edited for language

Just say a Cash gift if you must, that way if they ever say I'm a bit short can you loan me it you can give it back and say don't worry about it.

EDITED Computers, they always wait until the Coffers dry to do something stupid.
Primarily due to blindness and distaste for TV I tend to watch things on my Laptop and listen via headphones to shut the noise out, well the port for the headphones has now given up with R channel gone and while I've probably got something in the scrap pile Solderings still off the menu.
Simplest solution is a USB adapter but funds what they are it'll be a while, I tried using the Xbox One controller as a pass through but its worn mini USB ports proving a sod for feedback, again probably got something to replace it but soldering is still a No.

I'm going to keep fettling I guess but having a stinker of a cold and the damp weather making things real grumpy it's making my temper shorter than your average Prime ministers tenure.

#7,559 ·
Another fine example, of the excellent job the three functioning brain cells in the government are doing, in carefully spending and controlling the public purse.

Suella brainlessman has been to Kent for a day trip, nice, she gone to see for herself the processing centre at a once fine RAF base.
There's generally,when they're not on strikes, a decent rail service to Kent, or it's not too far from London by motorway.

But no, in keeping with this careful control of the taxpayers money, she's flown by RAF copter, what are they, about £4000 an hour to run.
A spokesperson, IE official spin doctor, has justified this because she's flown out to sea, to personally observe the boats, illeagal dinghies N taxi service provided, by the lack of border farce, sorry it's force officially.

She could have looked at photos or watched a video of this, saving at least £8000 of hard earned taxpayers money.

Probably spent some time sending official e mails from her personal phone on the return trip.
It just gets worse doesn't it.

#7,565 ·
Ahh the days of SLRs , had a Nikkormat FT3, back for my time at Poly, upgraded to a Canon A1, we thought that push button technology was NASA standard.
Bought an old 8mm cine camera a couple of years ago at an antiques fair,mid sixties, clockwork, lovely design, just to put in a cabinet to look at, SWMBO doesn't understand.
This camera came with case and instruction manual plus original invoice, crikes.

#7,567 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edited for language

I cut right down and still am whenever I get to my kit bags, my preffered SLR is usually the Olympus OM10 which suits casual photography just fine as it's fast enough to run in low light but still lacks the toys that I avoid when taking pictures properly (I prefer being made to think what I'm doing as it shuts the rest of the world out).
There was a Super 8 kicking about but my Brother claimed it so It's likely EDITED if not in need of extensive work by now, 50's and 60's always sell well with the vintage lot although can almost guarentee most can't actually use one.

#7,569 ·
Araldite!! Great stuff, mix up how much you want and put the lids back on - the right way round of course.

Every brico (DIY place) within flying distance of where i live does epoxy in the double tubes that demand you either use it all up at once or it will all set nicely in the beautifully designed injectors. I had to order some of the proper stuff from Amazon!!

20€ plus postage for a pack of Araldite. Let's hope the cars turn out to be worth the expense.

#7,572 ·
This time last year I had to buy a new car battery. It cost £90. Yesterday, I had to buy another new battery for a different car at a cost of 150. This gives me a good indication of the true rate of inflation.

Isn't it time politicians stopped mismanaging world economies?

#7,575 ·
Just stop oil are now teamed with Animal Rebellion in their protests on the M25, whilst the push to be reduced carbon/carbon neutral is laudable as a concept, it's not going to happen overnight, even the three functioning brain cells in Westminster know that, from a technical, infrastructure or financial perspective.

One guy has chained himself to an overhead gantry today near junction 25, that's his own free will presumably and we must accept that it's his democratic right, I suppose the operating authorities ,presumably Potholes England , have a duty of care under some law or other, to remove him., All this after the massive disruption recently over the Dartford crossings.

Folks getting delayed and missing appointments/ flights, trucks with late deliveries etc are starting to get more than a little upset, it's easy to see this turning as bad PR for these groups.

#7,577 ·
#7,576 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edited for language

We're too soft, if they want to do stupid EDITED let them but don't stop or make allowances for them, if they get hurt or killed it's on their own backs and if they want medical care charge them as its an unnessacery risk they've taken.

If they really want to make a difference they should spend their time finding ways to make affordable alternatives, fixing damage and helping those who need help, not dicking about in the middle of a busy road whinging and crying and documenting it on a device that goes against everything they claim is an issue.

#7,578 ·
I don't get it you go to a spot to protest usually by some form of transport, you drink , eat consume something delivered by some form of transport , go home turn on the light supplied by electric normally, see yourself protesting on the telly usually supplied by a foreign company and air miles, put the heating on have a bath or shower all supplied mostly by some sort of fuel at the original point to do that for you , then complain , i don't get it.

#7,579 ·
You and me both, KFW. :rolleyes:

I shook my head in utter disbelief at the "luvvies" who flew into London from their Californian homes to protest at some climate conference, or other, just before the pandemic kicked-off.
You couldn't make it up.

..........And they're probably the same people who complain about plastic waste, but buy bottled water.