SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I race in a club... and ther is a club shop... and the guy running the shop somehow manages to always have something there that is of my interest... anyway, today I ended up buying 2 SMER kits, a Lago Talbot GP 1949 and an Alfetta 159 from 1950... so more projects at hand

Both cars are in 1/24th scale, so fitting chassis will not be that difficult (probably front-engined as per the originals...) more interesting is the question of wheels... kit standard means solid plastic rim/tyre (/tire
) and no way to separate these two...

Is anyone aware of any manufacturer of pre-add 24th scale spoke wheels and matching tyres? So far a Google search hasn't given any acceptable results...

o/d of the rim needs be 19,5 mm, o/d of the tyre 28 mm (front) and 30 mm (rear)

Probably will settle for Ortmann/Wiesel tyres (sillies)... but the rims....

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I built the Lago-Talbot as a static some time ago Jan. You might consider keeping the motor at the back: the front engine cover is removable and keeping the kit engine detail might be a nice added touch for your racer.

Not sure about the wheels though - at the time I wondered about that myself.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 5 Apr 2004, 08:41)You might consider keeping the motor at the back: the front engine cover is removable and keeping the kit engine detail might be a nice added touch for your racer.

the thought of slipping in a mabuchi sidewinder in the talbot has crossed my mind
in the alfa that will be nearly impossible as the body may not be wide enough...

thanks anyway

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (thomas @ 5 Apr 2004, 08:55)...look here..
or send a mail to Dieter Jens - he'll find what you're looking for...
spot on... think I'll settle for some Sakatsu Dunlop rims... though these Borrani's look great too... a bit small in diameter, but that is good for the CG

Thanks!!

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Race-Jan @ 5 Apr 2004, 10:06)the thought of slipping in a mabuchi sidewinder in the talbot has crossed my mind
in the alfa that will be nearly impossible as the body may not be wide enough...

thanks anyway

Been experimenting with the alfa, as a matter of fact a Ninco NC-1 fits in almost perfectly between the kit-engine and the fascia (dashboard) ... took a bit of fiddling with the chair though, and the driver will not be pleased....

pics will follow shortly...

Jan

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
If you have access to a small lathe, the BWA 1/24 wheels can be narrowed - and there is enough "meat" in the rim to allow turning in a shallow recess to fit the Ortmann tires. The BWA resin wire wheel inserts are very good. As you can see from the plastic wheels in the kits. the tires in that era were very narrow - not much over 0.25" in 1/24 scale.

Of the two kits, the Talbot will probably be a bit more challenging to fit with wheels as the rears are larger than those on the Alfetta.

EM

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Martini @ 5 Apr 2004, 17:41)If you have access to a small lathe, the BWA 1/24 wheels can be narrowed - and there is enough "meat" in the rim to allow turning in a shallow recess to fit the Ortmann tires. The BWA resin wire wheel inserts are very good. As you can see from the plastic wheels in the kits. the tires in that era were very narrow - not much over 0.25" in 1/24 scale.

Of the two kits, the Talbot will probably be a bit more challenging to fit with wheels as the rears are larger than those on the Alfetta.

EM
EM,

Alas, no lathe available here... but you got me worried, so I lined up the wheels of both kits, and.... both the front and the rear wheels of the Talbot are in fact bigger... think I'll put some effort in the alfetta first, and see what happens

P.S. : Front suspension modified, removed axle stubs and drilled 3 mm holes instead, now a 3 mm axle fits in and I get to keep the kit brake drums

Couldn't resist to put up a pic, http://groups.msn.com/hobbyfoto/slotracepr...oto&PhotoID=422
shows teh chassis with the motors in place... and the modified front suspension...

YESS a twin-engined alfetta

Jan

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (abie321 @ 6 Apr 2004, 15:45)Hi

Thought I would share a car i did for last years Bordeaux meet. The wheels are by BWA ................. Similar to yours a Smer model.....

http://www.theslotcar.com/kitbashing.html

Cheers

Anthony
That is a sweet looking car!!

I understand you put a separate chassis under it? and the motor so to speak under the driver?

Jan (whose fingers are itching again to start building....)

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Jan

Will post a pic of the chassis - as it was for Bordeaux meet, it has a 60's Dynamic chassis, with a Cox motor. ......... The driver a 1/24th cut and adjusted Scalextric replica......
Anthony

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been awfully busy... but at last an update

found some wheels, now all I need is tyres

I took a set of 10 mm White Point rims, and cut off half of them to create the brake drums, they also give a nice mounting spot for the plastic rims (which will be dulled with some thinned black paint to make the chrome less pronounced)
Car has been painted, full engine detail, driver will be added later

here's a piccie ... http://groups.msn.com/hobbyfoto/slotracepr...oto&PhotoID=622

finally getting there!!

Jan

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I can help with rims for ø3mm axles, if anyone are interested.
I have from ø16 to ø21, 8 and 16mm wide.
I.D. are 1mm smaller than O.D.
Mail me or send a PM.

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE (Race-Jan @ 5 Apr 2004, 10:13)QUOTE (thomas @ 5 Apr 2004, 08:55)...look here..
or send a mail to Dieter Jens - he'll find what you're looking for...
spot on... think I'll settle for some Sakatsu Dunlop rims... though these Borrani's look great too... a bit small in diameter, but that is good for the CG :D

Thanks!!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI! Since it's a long time ago this thread, you most likely have allready bought the tires/rims to finish your Alfa? Please update me.

Thanks,
Dirk

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Dirk himself @ 4 Feb 2005, 15:56)HI! Since it's a long time ago this thread, you most likely have allready bought the tires/rims to finish your Alfa? Please update me.

Thanks,
Dirk
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dirk,

I've got the wheels, but no tires yet... Think I'll use some rubber O-rings of the appropriate dimensions...

I took a set of 10 mm White Point rims, and cut off half of them to create the brake drums, they also give a nice mounting spot for the plastic rims (which will be dulled with some thinned black paint to make the chrome less pronounced)

here's a piccie made yesterday ... http://groups.msn.com/hobbyfoto/slotracepr...oto&PhotoID=622

finally getting there!!

Jan

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dirk,

I've got the wheels, but no tires yet... Think I'll use some rubber O-rings of the appropriate dimensions...

here's a piccie made yesterday ... http://groups.msn.com/hobbyfoto/slotracepr...oto&PhotoID=622

finally getting there!!

Jan
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Hello Jan,

well, it looks nice, but the wheels are really very shiny.... I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I will keep looking for tires, if I find some, I will let you know, please do the same?

Cherio,
Dirk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts