SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally cleared everything out the way and got rid of the old Goodwood circuit. It was fun while it lasted, a blast to drive holding those cars flat out through the corners. I even managed to crash land a helicopter on it and we had many, many late nights pretending to be Jim Clark or Graham Hill. My main aim for its demise was the fact that not many people ever mastered the corners which had to be taken pretty quick. The Chicane caught all but about 3 of us out, some seemed to forget it was there every lap. Little kids I have cant get the hang of it so I'll dump this Goodwood circuit and in its place, put in two tracks, one for the "littlies" one for the grown ups, and split the shed down the middle for space.

So with the infield and buildings and runway section removed it was time to dump her on the concrete and bid farewell.

Because I get a massive discount on my MDF as a builder the prospect of rebuilding circuit after circuit is not a problem.

So track gone and time to outlay the test sections for the new layout.. check for width and of course whether or not to go 3 or 4 lanes.

..and some of our older forum members might already know which track it will be just looking at the pits section above...

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,727 Posts
Don't have to be too old to know what track that is UK

The green strip, the banked turn and the fabulous looking Stromliners give it away

so is that for the little ones or the grown ups?

cheers
David

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Avus track is still used as a dual carriage way. I travelled down it a few years ago - the steps of the old grandstands were still visable along side the road!

·
Registered
642 Posts
As someone who had to just tear down a layout (Little Monaco) I understand what a drag it is to trash all of that hard work. On the other hand, it's nice to start w/a fresh piece of paper. Good luck w/your new layout, I'm sure it'll be great.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE On the other hand, it's nice to start w/a fresh piece of paper.

I think your right, its quite refreshing to wander into that shed and see all that space. The dogs been chasing things out of that shed with every piece of rubbish I through out.

Now the next bit.

Just trying to work out how big to make the banking. Historically the steepest track ever built at 43º.Really need to capture the circumference of the curve to give the cars a chance to build up some real speed.

I still think if you can't capture the atmosphere of the real circuit, even 1/32 scale atmosphere then its a miss.

The old Goodwood was a real blast to drive on.
All anyone ever commented on was the ability that track had to enable the user to hold the throttle in flat out for the run through the fast bits.

So I guess its trial and error, the latter being my speciality..

·
Registered
899 Posts
Had some time for experimenting today and a couple of things seemed to crop up.

So one thing straight up, I've decided to make this track 3 lanes. 4 lanes seems to always leave two guys crashing through the scenery, and the other two just about to crash into the scenery at any moment. three lanes seems to be easier on the surrounding breakables.

1st/ How wide to make the larger banked arc. Seeing as they are only toy cars, the banking idea might be contained in a smaller area say only 3 metres wide. That way it only consumes half the width of the shed given that you peel off the main circuit autobahn, and head into a shorter 'feeder' straight which might only be about 2 metres long before you hit the start of the banking. Then it feeds back into the Autobahn section which is 10 metres up to the smaller curve and 10 metres back. So visually, we need that ( "..HOLY S4IT") impact of the first impression without making the track area impossible to get to..

2nd/ to get 43º angle right, the MDF will need to be cut in a giant flat curve so that you pull the two ends together and the middle just bends up. I haven't got my head around that yet but I can see myself stuffing the first one up. What I mean is your might need a 4mtr gentle curve to make a 3mtr bank.

3rd/ 43º sloping corners and a long way around the bank might need some magnetic attraction braiding to hold the cars onto the roadway, but they will be bogged down on the straights. So magnetic braid or just tinned copper in different parts of the track. The flat corners of the old Goodwood with the longer high speed straights was a trade off, but no chance of sliding of a bank anywhere.

The other thing is if the cars cant generate enough scale speed, they will drag their inside wheel down below the centre of the lane.... maybe.

There is no chance of stopping and starting on the banking.

Any other thing someone can think of in regards these points would be much appreciated....

This is the only image I could find that best captures which era of the track I'm doing.It also gives a good impression the the width of the section.
( hopefully the Getty's have enough money and dont mind me borrowing it. Good chance thats Goebbels ( cut off standing against the railings) in the white suit bottom right of image

Eventually, the Autobahn straights were asphalt.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found these old photos of the Avus pits. So far the only ones I've found.
Luckily an old timber build so should be pretty straight forward.

Below is what I hope it will look like when finished. A timber construction, scoreboard on top and what we refer to in the trade as "wobbly straight."

Found this of Nuvolari with the pits in the right background.

This one when the pits was without any signage .

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hi UK,

first picture is definitely not the Avus. It's probably the Swiss Grand Prix (german/french mixture, Toblerone and other ads of Swiss companies) of 34 or 35 (Bremgarten).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes my mistake. After careful examination of the facia hoarding differences of the two buildings , it is apparent that the two pits are different.

So elephant stamp for you Mr Biberle. Correct, 1934/5-ish Swiss GP. Had I been looking for information about the Swiss GP it would have jumped at me.

Considering how thorough the Germans were becoming with records and photos from this era, you would think some stuff might just pop up on the net but this track is pretty elusive..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sad to see the Goodwood circuit go, but looking forward to the new build as I have always had a facination with the Avus circuit and its changes.

Looking forward to watching this thread as it progresses.

Andrew

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can't wait to watch this amazing track come to life

You could use magnetic paint on the banking then copper tape the whole track. This should then give you the traction you need on the banking and still allow top speeds on the straights.

Regards
CB
Gaz

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got some of the Carerra Streamliners today. Great looking cars ..but.. have you noticed they are running on bicycle tyres. So I'm wondering how they are likely to go on the steep banking and no doubt the tyres wont last long in terms of tyre life.

Just took a quick picture while it was sitting on the bridge

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing this track develop. Here's some pics to helps with the details....

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
and here's a pic of the rarely photographed south turn, its the only one I could find....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the great photos Maf, I started building the pit building and started some little trial ideas for the walkway bridge tonight. Should be able to post some progress shots tomorrow. Might even have crack at the banking over the weekend.

Keep those photos coming Maf, I'm having trouble locating very many photos of this circuit. Yours are fantastic.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts