SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on the design of a new layout. As ever I'm at a position where I can't decide for myself and need some other minds to express their opinions.
I'm going to butcher a few Scalextric track pieces to create an extended racing line for part of the track. The three following images feature a section of track that runs from left to right. I'm thinking I'll take an out to in CLC and in to out CLC, somehow combine the two, cut their respective sensor tracks (I've mistakenly omitted these in the diagrams) in half and put them together so that both lane change flippers can be activated and then extend the length of the lane change by cutting up a few other bits and pieces.
My question is, which would be best in a race situation?

Number 1 - simple switcheroo
Eyebrow Product Font Line Eyelash

Number Two - the left hand lane rejoins the same lane a bit further down the line, I'm thinking this might be a faster option for the driver in that lane rather than not changing - not too sure though
White Black Font Line Eyelash

Number three - this time the left hand lane switches to the right hand lane, but much further down the line, and I think a bit of a quicker option for the driver in that lane.
White Product Font Line Rectangle

·
ParrotGod
9,292 Posts
I like options 2 and 3 a lot. But the more I think about a real race situation the more I think that those two options might lead to more crashes due to the squeeze situation.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I like the 2nd and 3rd as well.

That said, this choice illustrates the conundrum with OEM or custom powered-rail digital lane lane changers.

That is why I been following a completely different non-powered slot car track system/ philosophy using the OOP OEM DMXSlots track and RC slot cars further modified to use 2.4Ghz RF RC technology.

Competing drivers of perhaps 12 cars in a field of RC slot cars can choose their own racing line through any curve section, or pass/ block on any straight, via any of the 11 slots available in a 8” wide track section.

The 8” wide track can provide 3 lanes for 1/32 OR 2 lanes for 1/24 racing.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like options 2 and 3 a lot. But the more I think about a real race situation the more I think that those two options might lead to more crashes due to the squeeze situation.
I hear you, crashes aren't good. My cars for the most part are second hand ebay purchases and the drivers who use my tracks tend to be inexperienced and have little awareness for obstacles, often smashing into stricken cars. I've lost a couple of chips in this way. That being said, I often find myself leaning to what looks nifty rather than what is practical! I'd never go for one of those 90 degree crossover pieces though, I think they just invite carnage!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the 2nd and 3rd as well.

That said, this choice illustrates the conundrum with OEM or custom powered-rail digital lane lane changers.

That is why I been following a completely different non-powered slot car track system/ philosophy using the OOP OEM DMXSlots track and RC slot cars further modified to use 2.4Ghz RF RC technology.

Competing drivers of perhaps 12 cars in a field of RC slot cars can choose their own racing line through any curve section, or pass/ block on any straight, via any of the 11 slots available in a 8” wide track section.

The 8” wide track can provide 3 lanes for 1/32 OR 2 lanes for 1/24 racing.
I'm afraid I can't justify starting with a new system, I'm all in with the Scalextric stuff now!

·
ParrotGod
9,292 Posts
So, looking at that curved XLC, are you planning to use the curved cross over and add the external and internal rail from R2 corners?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking I'd use the middle of a curved crossover, and use the appropriate elements of the two CLCs, might look really messy, but I've done something similar with my pit lane entry and exits on my permanent track and think I could pull it off.

Think it might also work to forego the use of a curved crossover and cut the lanes where they will cross.:unsure:.

Will have fun either way!

·
Lars Ole
1,629 Posts
Instead of using curve lanechangers, you can allso butcher pit pieces to go from outer to inner lane. Or from in to out.
Brown Wood Rectangle Art Wood stain
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Asphalt
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Wheel

·
Lars Ole
1,629 Posts
..... and just in case you dont know the ShaunBMX racingline mod, here is a few images.
Road surface Asphalt Bicycle tire Thoroughfare Urban design
Brown Wood Tints and shades Landscape Metal
Brown Building Wood Musical instrument Stairs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts