SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi,
Following on from being inspired by the work of the members on the forum, I've finally completed the layout of the track. First off some details :

- 2 Lane Scalextric Sport Digital track
- Approx 45 feet of track
- 4 overtaking points
- Working pitlane
- 6 Car Digital Powerbase (with 2 power supplies)
- Slot-GP Race Management Software

The layout is done and I've now routed the power under the table. I'm in the process of building a tunnel for the main straight. My next job is to spot tack the track to the plywood and fit foam to the wood on which to lay the grass and tarmac matting. I'm very excited about this stage of the work - the fun bit!!

Some pics. Will continue to update throughout the project.

Mikey.

Shot at 2007-08-20

Shot at 2007-08-20

Shot at 2007-08-20

Shot at 2007-08-20

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Hi Mikey,

Looking good !

i also today posted my track.which on the pictures is still in sport version!
but i have the 6 car digital power base and lane changers [straight and corners] standing ready !
i just need to figure out how to change these without too much trouble![have to many none digital cars i also some times want to run]
it is nice to see that in England there is also another track 'being born'

will keep an eye on you're posts! keep up the good works!

Jaak

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi,
I've spent some valuable time on the track in the last week or so. First off I've decided to elevate the track at the back of the circuit. Thanks for your assistance Dad!
This improves the driver visibility and allows for a gentle slope into the corner. The slope reminds me of the downward hill coming out of the Tunnel at Monaco!

After looking at some of the tracks on here (particularly GregR Field of Dreams) I decided to direct the pitlane of the main track using some track that I cut myself. Simple concept to most of you on here, but remember this is my first track. This gives the pitlane a much more realistic touch. Given the space restrictions I'm under, I'm very happy with the outcome. I've also installed 2 of the 3 pit garages I'm going to run with. The pitwall is also in place.

Next job was to lay some scenery. I'im using a foam based underlay directly on the plywood before I lay the grass. This allows me to raise the level of the grass closer to the level of the track.

Finally, I've covered the first wooden support with a wall effect foam base and planted some trees.

We're also working on a paper mache based tunnel, which I'm hoping will add something to the track.

All for now.

Mikey.

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Nice track!!!

About the Scalectrix grand stand........ I don't think I've ever seen it with spectators in the seats yet - only with empty seats!!!
Are there no figures that fits into the seats?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your Scaley layout is looking Great Mikey I'm looking forward to seeing more as you progress with it,I'm hoping to have a Digital Layout sometime next year when we can get a 20'x10' shed in the back garden.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, all the best for 2008 fellow Slot Racers!

I've been doing a heap of research on SlotForum for the past couple of months looking at other members tracks. I then took a long hard look at my track and decided it needed a bit of a redesign. I realised I wasn't making effective use of the space I had. I also made a trip up home over Christmas and called in at Pendle Slot Racing, if you've never been, then call in - its a Mecca for the likes of us! I also purchased the Slot Car Handbook by Dave Chang, I would reccomend this as an essential purchase for any fellow noobs! Anyhow, enough of all this inspiration and back to the track...

The first thing I did was swap the pit lane from the left of the benching (as you look at the pic), to the right. Previously, entering the pits was a bit of blind spot. The new layout makes it easier to navigate.

This is where the majority of the new track has been added. There is a nice technical section behind the pit garages.

I've added a straight lane change so you can overtake on the straight into the left hander. I've also removed the 'wiggle' after the left hander so you can take the corner at more full tilt. As a result its a bit more fun!

Finally, I've widened the corner at the top of the track. This is the most unreachable section of the circuit in terms of where the players race. This should mean reslots are a bit less common up here!

I would advise anyone new to this game to really experiment with layouts before any permanant track decisions are taken. I thought I had the layout sorted, it turned out I didn't!

My next move is to copper tape the track and crack on with some scenics.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 9 Jan 2008, 00:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This looks fantastic

HAve you considered putting the PB more n the middle for marshalling reasons or do you have controler cable extensions?

Thanks for your kind words.

We have controller extension cables. I'm fairly restricted in terms of where I place the PB due to power sources in the Garage.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Looking cool, With respect I have a suggestion.
...the new technical section behind the pits -- where it loops back from beneath the back straight, I would alter this so it sits more into the free space you have available, I think the entry curve could be a marshaling nightmare.

I would make the entry, the 'soft' curve (R2) then into a small (1/2) straight, then the R1 as an exit. (essentially reversing what you have), really think it'll flow better.
I see another possibility for this also:
Having done the above, you could also extend the section at the R1 by adding another R1 then a reverse R2 (45 degree) to make another esse, (dunno if that'll make sense when read), ...essentially using that empty space and coming around the back corner of the pits.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (drummer @ 9 Jan 2008, 11:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking cool, With respect I have a suggestion.
...the new technical section behind the pits -- where it loops back from beneath the back straight, I would alter this so it sits more into the free space you have available, I think the entry curve could be a marshaling nightmare.

I would make the entry, the 'soft' curve (R2) then into a small (1/2) straight, then the R1 as an exit. (essentially reversing what you have), really think it'll flow better.
Having done the above, you could also extend the section at the R1 by adding another R1 then a reverse R2 (45 degree) to make another esse, (dunno if that'll make sense when read), ...essentially using that empty space and coming around the back corner of the pits.

Drummer - I see what you mean. I wanted to leave some space at the front of the track for my Laptop (to run Race Mgt software) but looking at my pic, I have more than enough space for that! I'll redesign based on your comments and upload a new pic.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (drummer @ 9 Jan 2008, 11:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking cool, With respect I have a suggestion.

I've made the changes you suggested, with the exception of the extended bit cos I don't have enough track pieces at the moment. The entry to the corner feels softer and has resulted in fewer deslots. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
I've been working on the scenics at Goldrock. I have a good idea of what I want to achieve. I've started at the back of the track and am working towards the driver section at the front of my Garage.

The back of the track is raised and I wanted to build the terrain to the same level of the track. In order to do this Ive followed the Woodland Scenics method of building terrain. First off I wrapped newspaper sheets into parcels and taped to the mdf board. This gives a nice uneven surface. On top of this I've laid some Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth. This stuff is great, just dip in water and lay over the newspaper parcels, voila .. I now have my terrain!

This excericise is going to take some time, but is really quite enjoyable. There is not much mess using the Plaster Cloth. The track needs a clean, but nothing too problematic.
A few pics..

I aim to undercoat the ground sections before I grass cover. The walls will be home for several rock moulds..

Mikey

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Looking Good Mikey!!
Maybe you can build a small pull out drawer/shelf for your Laptop using undermount slides.....( check out computer desk hardware for this)

Will you be painting your track?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Tileguy @ 4 Feb 2008, 00:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking Good Mikey!!
Maybe you can build a small pull out drawer/shelf for your Laptop using undermount slides.....( check out computer desk hardware for this)

Will you be painting your track?

Cheers Tileguy!

I've been giving the laptop area some thought and decided to utilise the space for a bit more track and scenics. If I want to run race mgt software, I'll hook up a small LCD Monitor with a base unit under the table. That way it won't take up as much space.

Its coincidental that you should ask about painting the track because I decided to do this earlier today. Based on the research I've done to date and my limited knowledge I suspect the natural colour of the Sport Track just isn't going to fit in with what I want to achieve. At this stage, I've no idea what sort of paint to use so I'll be doing more research and no doubt be asking a few questions along the way!

Mikey

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a tutorial on Painting Sport track in here somewhere.........It is the method used by many including myself & Bill on his Targa florio Layout.

It is also in the files section at Digital scale racing in Word Format for you if you want to print it out.
Links in my signature.
Have fun!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.