SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Every vintage slot car collector dreams of finding their "Holy Grail". For some, it could be a Monogram "Midget" kit or even the FLY E2 (God forbid!), for others somewhat more discerning, the hand-built, pioneering "professional"-racing cars of the 1960's are IT. If possible, such a piece of the holy grail should be documented by a period magazine story, illustrated by good pictures.
Unfortunately, not too many such documented cars survived that era, especially the inline kind that was promptly discarded by most after the advent of the angle-winder in early 1968. So it is indeed a notable event when such a car surfaces, especially one that did not make one more lap on any track than the last one run in that very race where it would be documented, and would still sports its original parts right down to its braided contacts!
This is the case for the following rare beast, possibly the ONLY surviving car of the now legendary 5-race Rod & Custom Magazine series of 1966.

The 5th race has been reported in Rod & Custom by Gene Husting and photographed by Al Hall:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Interesting to find that the top qualifier's E.T. on this 150' flat track similar to the older AMF King is about 7.08", this done with little 11/16" rears and 3/4" fronts, lowered bodies and single-29 rewound and balanced FT16 motors. Compare this to a 6.75" time every lap on a 155' King from your trusty low-bucks 1/24 scale TSRF car of today fitted with the lowest common-denominator cheapo Mabuchi FK motor, and you can see what 40 years of technical advancement have done to debunk the myth of poor handling with tall tires...
But I digress.

I just completed a sympathetic restoration of a car that ran in that very race, the Team Checkpoint 's Chaparral 2D built by Mike Steube for his brother Billy. You can see that the two cars are virtually identical from the picture of Mike's car on the magazine. Mike's car finished in second place, Billy ran into trouble and did not qualify well and was beaten out of the semi.
The car did not make the main event, and this is probably why it survived in excellent and running condition. How did this rare car survived is left to the keen conservation by all-time slot car enthusiast and benefactor, Bruce Paschal. After this race, Bill sold the car to Bruce who kept it all these years.

Picture 1

The nearly 40-year old car resting on the nearly 40-year old Rod & Custom issue, just obtained for three lousy bucks from E-Pay... the mag is cheap, the car is priceless.

Picture 2

Note the Russkit wheels and wheel inserts used by the majority of pro-racers then. Tires are "Tiny's", a very popular gray sponge in 1966.

Picture 3

Picture 4

One can almost read the name, "Bill".

Picture 5

This fine lettering is due, as it says in the article, to our own Bryan Warmack who lettered most of the cars in the race!

Picture 6

It took nearly 40 years for slot racing historians to know what color were the early "Team Checkpoint" motors wound by Bill Steube Sr., owner of Checkpoint Raceways and father of Mike and Billy, two of the most talented slot car racers ever.

Picture 7

All brass rails, just like most at the time.

Picture 8

Russkit motor bracket of course. Note the huge but flat end bell retaining machine screw.

Picture 9

Note the stock Mabuchi end bell. Soon, hotter winds will melt them like butter.

Picture 10

Nice old thing, why did it have to go so wrong? Oh, I forgot, the Evil God "Speed"...

Regards,

Dokk Pea

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (McLaren @ 23 Jan 2005, 19:40)If you take out the "a" and "e" from each [image] and [/image] tag, then the pictures will appear.

Andy
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the help, but I tried all the codes. For some reason, it did not work either way today. Worked fine on SCI and Home Racing World, but not on Slot Forum or OWH with either code tried. ???
So I posted links instead.
Kind regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ah the memories!
I'd forgotten all about Tiny's Grays. Haven't heard the name since the 60s.
Our development only went a little bit further before International Raceways folded it's tent. Heat sinks on the end bells, but never reached the angle-winder meltdown.
Thanks Phillipe,
Lowrider.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (lowrider @ 23 Jan 2005, 20:29)And Philippe as well ...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Lowrider!

Philippe
(One "L" of a Guy)

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Phil Kalbfell @ 24 Jan 2005, 00:15)Thanks PDL. Worst part is I can remember this era and building copies of these cars !
Phil
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phil,
If this is the worst part, the girls must be SOOOOO beautiful in your neighborood...

I am really happy that you enjoy this, because I do too and age does not matter, spirit does.

Dokk Pea

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Hi Doc

Great story and Pic's.......

"the evil god speed"

Why is it that even today it is still difficult to get most (NOT all) slotters to go for scale or even partly scale, where it just seems to be speed speed speed to the detriment of all else......

If todays modern slot racing of ultra slippery bodies was the way to go in real life, then everone would still be driving Chappie 2H derivatives.
While I am not averse to speed, and as much as I can get, I like to temper this with scale appearance and using standard power. Ideally take a Champion or TSRF style stamped chassis and use a hard body - of the Tamiya ilk (talking 1/24th scale here). Even in Home racing it just seems to be more magnets, stronger aftermarket power and more speed, and the same cars on a wooden track would have lots of lead added and used in conjuction with high power....

Is it just middle age catching up to me, but what happened to scale and speed ...?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Wow! Thanks, Philippe! When can we expect the book on pro racing in the late '60s early '70s, please?

Preferably to cover the period until before these came along

Kind regards,

Russell

G

·
Great car Philippe,

I have just bought some of the very first Canadian slot cars to restore with the complete history of the cars from the late 50's and early 60's up to the present.

I can't wait for your book either.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Code:
Why is it that even today it is still difficult to get most (NOT all) slotters to go for scale or even partly scale, where it just seems to be speed speed speed to the detriment of all else......[QUOTE]

The book is in fact progressing nicely and we now have a person willing to put up the $100K-plus that it takes to produce and print the thing. I do not expect to see it before sometimes in 2006, because production is a long process. It WILL be a hard-cover book and will be controversial as I will set a few things straight as far as some urban legends out there, with facts to prove my corrections...  [IMG]http://www.slotforum.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/IMG]

Rail-Racer, this is of course the big question, and this is why we are trying to get something together to establish a basic discipline that would work for all. But speed-at-all-cost is a tough opponent! Expect us not to give up.

Russell, a replica of this very speed-freak 1972 car of mine is being built for enthusiast and collector Adam Freedman from California. Adam produces movies for the Discovery Channel and will do the TV production of ChampCar in 2005. He also races GP12 with his daughter and is quite good at it, picking a 2nd place last Saturday at the USRA race in Buena Park. 
The replica chassis is being built by Rick Thigpen and someone with better eyes than mine will replicate the livery over the pearl-white M.A.C. body. This car won a biggie at Monaco Miniatures in 1972, but I have no clue of what happened to the car or the body.
Regards,

Philippe

G

·
Hi Philippe,
That is really great news and I can't wait to see your book the more controversial the better please.

I would have like my book to have been a hardback but this was not possible.

Best wishes,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't think Beethoven's personal habits are a suitable topic for discussion on a family board like this.

Oh. That's not what it means?

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE Did Beethoven ever reciprocate?

Yes indeed. Pity that newer generations are more interested in loud racket.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
On behalf of loud racketeers everywhere I'd like to apologize to the Dok.
Ever stood near the orchestra pit?
Anyhoo ... back on thread,
Who made the various bodies shown in the Rod & Custom article? The Iso Grifo looks like a hard body in the photos. Why was everybody in love with the Dino and Chaparral bodies? Team sponsorship?
Which were the controllers in use at that time that people were having the problems with? Russkit or MRC?
The knock-off shaped locking nuts were another blast from the past for me.
When did the change over to O-ring front wheels happen? I remember them quite well too.
What were the tech rules in force then?
Regards,
Lowrider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts