SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , Having just had another evenings racing ruined by chip issues I have decided to have a go at the MIH Chip upgrade. One vital requirement is a good fine tipped soldering iron and good quality solder. I would love to know what people use in this regard and how they rate them.

many thanks, Dave

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I use an 15 watt Antex iron, had it for years, there's a good range of tips available so you can use the right size to get into tight spaces.
22 g solder is good for delicate jobs, the thicker stuff tends to give too much solder for that use.

A bigger iron is needed for bigger jobs, but that's another story.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
QUOTE (300SLR @ 22 Aug 2011, 23:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use an 15 watt Antex iron, had it for years, there's a good range of tips available so you can use the right size to get into tight spaces.
Hi
What size of tips do you use for PCBs?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
QUOTE (chris99 @ 23 Aug 2011, 07:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What size of tips do you use for PCBs?
I've got several different size tips. Which one I use depends on the PCB, The tip should be small enough to solder one joint at a time, you don't want it bridging onto the next pad. For very delicate components I use the smallest I tip they do, for components with heavier wires a bigger tip is better.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
That's about the watt rating that comes with the right size bits unless you want to go up market. Antex also make 12 and 18 watt irons which would do just as well.

A higher wattage temperature controller iron is suitable for production line pcb work, but that's quite a lot more money and not necessary for hobby use.

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
check mappins, their top of the line variable temp 60w solder station is half price at the moment.....£39.99.

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
hi
the bit in the advert you are looking for is this:is capable of soldering onto surface mount devices...<SMD>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts