SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my club we have an open class race (any car, and all modifications are permitted), and I'm not sure what car I should use for this.
The track is Scalextric sport, and is a good mix of turns and straights.
I'm new to this hobby, and since we race by crash and burn rules, handling is more important for me than speed.

From what I've seen so far the Scalextric Mustang is my favorite (non-sport version with added button magnet in front). I've got a Fly Viper also, but the Mustang seems far more stuck down.

I'd like to race the Viper, since others are also racing Mustangs. Are there any easy tweaks I can do to it to make it stick better?

How does the Slot-It Porsche perform? Most likely I'll order one of these soon. I'm thinking of fitting the reverse motor mount, magnetic suspension and a stronger magnet to it (or maybe an additional magnet). Surely that should be able to beat the Mustang..?

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
If you are allowed magnets I'd be suprised if many RTR cars are able to beat a Fly Viper even in its stock form. Grah01 had a good modification for the Viper that provided more magnetic downforce on the side that needed it rond a corner.

Just ensure you glue everything in nice and tight and run the motor in well and the gears in before using it in anger.

If it is really unlimited then add more magnet and a scaleauto 35k motor (cheap and so if it burns up cause its having to work so hard you won't mind) and order a neck masage for the next day to get rid of the whiplash you'll suffer tryng to watch the thing go round. however if you push it too far if will fly!
Matt

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've understood there are no limitations in the class (I've never raced in it before, so I'm not 100% sure). Magnets are definately allowed.

I've tested with some more magnet on the Viper, but the Mustang seems more stuck down. If I were a better driver I think the Viper would be the best of these cars.
Any advice on where to put extra magnets in the Viper?

Thanks for the advice on motor, but I think I'll wait with the scaleauto. Using something like that with my driving skills would most likely leave my car in tiny pieces...

·
Registered
263 Posts
My advice would be to go with Mustang for sure. If there's alot of them in the class trust me they are there for a reason. THEY ARE SERIOUSLY FAST stock, so modded they will be hard to beat unless tou do what Rob said and go for an HRS chassis.
A standard Viper will already get whiiped by a stock 'stang, so some of the mods you do to the viper will only get it to the level of the mustang and a bit past it.

Mustang
35 000 rpm motor
Button magnet on top of stock bar magnet
Slot it pro axle kit
Slot it wheels
P2 tyres

....bye bye all........

Putting the button magnet in the factory location washes off too much speed, putting it on top will increase corner speed and not effect straight line speed and you will win!! The car will be easy to drive and won't feel too stuck down.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Don't listen to them!
Has nobody tried the Fly Lola B98/10?!
Buy the Motorola version witht the 30K motor in it and it'll kick ass.
Add some alloy wheels (Slot.It backend) and tyres that suit your circuit (probably Proslot Slicks or Ortmann).
Magnet needs no upgrading.
You should win without trying...

Lotus

·
Registered
458 Posts
well i have planned to put a sc07 in a single seat cut the chassis up near the backand whack a proslot mag in
the thing will look like it cant do nuthing and go like lightning and it wont cost so much if i smack it into a wall just but a new car an swap the parts over!!!!
i will e doing this next week ill let u know how it turns out.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The race was earlier this week, and I decided to go with the Mustang. No mods to it apart from adding the button mag on top of the bar mag (plus trued tires and losened screws). Would have done more to it if I could have gotten the parts I wanted in time...

Did quite well. Lost several points due to deslotting since I'm a speed crazy moron, but I did get the best lap time for that evening!

The competition were several other Scalextric Mustangs and Camaros, a few Scalextric Lolas and some Fly cars (can't remember what cars exactly, but no Fly Lolas).
I didn't check what the others had done to their cars, but the Trans Am cars did dominate!

I found out that no F1's are allowed for the class, but they have a class of their own. The F1 thread has a lot of interesting information in it!

·
Registered
420 Posts
If your mustang is running good who the hell cares what kind of body you use. "It doesnt matter what your car looks like or how you look standin' next to it, it matters how you race it."-the fast and the furious (I know that is a pretty damn cool quote!!!)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I hear you! I need to get a V8 muscle car 1:1 before I turn 40 (2 and a bit more years to go
) call it a mid-life crisis
and I don't care if she's covered in blotches of red or grey primer, as long as the bodywork is all there and she runs as sweet as a nut!
Whilst nice paintwork is good to have, its not as important as what's under the bonnet and chassis.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE If you are allowed magnets I'd be suprised if many RTR cars are able to beat a Fly Viper even in its stock form

matt, got to say something to that... rubbish! no fair point but the scalex TVR will keep up with one, wont it rr3.9?
in stock form of course

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (JcRacer43 @ 9 Mar 2004, 02:10 AM)If your mustang is running good who the hell cares what kind of body you use.
I care about what kind of car I drive. This has nothing to do with the look of the car itself, but I prefer to spot my own car easily.
At that race I did use the Mustang, and there was 3 of them with the same livery when I raced. Once I had looked at another car I took longer to find my own one because of this.
I know I should be able to focus on my own car, but I like to keep things as simple as possible...

At the club there has been some testing of the Vipers, and there seems to be pretty big differences to how they perform out of the box. There is one in particular that handle a lot better than mine (and the other 5-6 Vipers that have been tested), and it's quite a lot better than any stock Mustang as well.
I don't know the reason for this, but suspect the tires are better on that one.

As for the TVRs be faster I can only say that none of the ones I have seen can keep up with a Viper. I have two of them myself (deWalt and Eclipse Sport versions) and although they handle well they aren't fast enough to keep up with a Viper on our circuit.

The new car in the open class is a Slot It Porsche. I've fitted a Scaleauto 35K motor in it, and will test it with this motor tonight.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Genuinely , I honestly want to see you demo that at ours Int because I reckon it`s a bloomin slow car! I don`t think our `Lynchie` is gonna be very impressed when he uses it either

·
Registered
458 Posts
ill have to try whacking my newly improved single seat around a big track...... i scrapped the proslot magnut and put a thick scaley bar (also found in the back of mg lola) and i made some modifications to the body &chassis to help with cooling the motor, but i have no idea what this thing can realy do untill i get my new controller, coz i cant drive the damn thing with a scaley controller.. i will be ordering a 35ohm parma economy soon , i reckon that'll sort things out good

1 - 20 of 46 Posts