SlotForum banner

Goodbye, DTM

3K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  Trisha 
#1 ·
Gerhard Berger has been forced to close down ITR, promoter of the DTM, ending a struggle that's gone on for years as a result of multiple factors. In its pomp during the early-mid 1990s the DTM worked because it offered big, powerful and technically-advanced cars of the kind that Germans like to see (as opposed to 2-litre Supertouring 'shopping cars').

The manufacturers gave tickets away like confetti and with packed grandstands, big names and good TV coverage all went well.

Too well. DTM decided that it had outgrown its domestic roots and branched out overseas, which didn't really work and which incurred the wrath of the then-vice-president of promotional affairs at the FIA, one B.C. Ecclestone. Bernie did what he always did and took the two biggest threats to revenue for F1, namely the BPR GTs and the DTM, and forced them into one series, FIA GT. Then he killed it.

DTM was revived after the EU anti-trust people booted Bernie out of the FIA: it was cheaper, simpler but essentially unchanged with 2-door coupes filling the grid. The formula worked well enough to encourage more investment from the manufacturers and a more advanced concept with their bread-and-butter 4-door saloons being turned into fairly hairy beasts. Then the world economy blew up.

A final throw of the dice came with effectively a one-make series where all the structural and mechanical components came from a central supplier, shared with the Japanese GT series, with plans to introduce the formula in North America and to create a truly global platform. But the fans didn't like touring cars without any DNA from the showroom, the racing was dull and predictable, North America couldn't care less about the idea and Mutti Merkel was spending billions to incentivise the conversion of her automotive industry to electric. So that died and it became just one GT3 series among many.

An all-electric prototype claimed to have 1200hp potential was run this year but EVs are a busted flush, the manufacturers don't see any value in promoting them through motorsport and privateers can't afford to use them so Berger's closing up the shop. It's been in such a sorry state for so long that there doesn't feel like we have much to be sad about, it's probably a kindness.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup been coming for a while,toooo many GT3 series, plus the rather unsavoury end to last year's racing, plus some enormous and costly accidents this year, writing well and truly on the wall, last managed to go to DTM on tour at Brands in 2018, years ago saw them at Donnington, all things must come to pass.

#3 · (Edited)
A few years ago I was with an OEM manufacturing partner to BMW, which then obliged them to get involved with the DTM. I was looking forward to it, to be honest, because my experience of DTM in the 1990s was so good. I'd been to the Brands event in 2012 and that was quite fun... but a cold and drizzly Hockenheim certainly wasn't.

Nobody was in the grandstands, although the vast mobile hospitality areas were buzzing. And the racing was dire, because when you have a series run by manufacturers for manufacturers it becomes a horrible thing to experience. Effectively the weight penalties decided which manufacturer was fastest. Three manufacturers, nine events, meaning that all three manufacturers had three chances to steam off into the distance, three where they were the midfield and three where they were nowhere. The main points of interest were which of the penalised drivers could take on and beat the slowest of the next-lightest class.

What was really strange was that DTM shared the bill that weekend with World Rallycross, and as the corporate DTM guests were being ferried out of the circuit in the evening, the RX fans were coming in - huge numbers of them. All of them wearing jeans that hung down beneath their bottoms and baseball caps with peaks the size of a football field. But they were coming. In droves.

Every event was the same and my employers soon decided to put more promotional emphasis on BMW's other programmes, just paying lip service to DTM.

#4 · (Edited)
I do not think that the shutdown of ITR is a bad thing.

ADAC will take over and the thoughts about letting the GT Master
with 2 drivers and only drive by silver and gold licensed drivers.
But DTM still a sprint race and single drivers with platinum license only.

This is an option which could work for GT racing here in Germany.
But there had to be more tires in DTM, 3 tireset for a complete Weekend with 2 races?!
That`s b*llsh*t. 5 Set would be fine. 2 for each race/quali and 1 more for free practise.

#5 ·
Gerhard Berger has been forced to close down ITR, promoter of the DTM, ending a struggle that's gone on for years as a result of multiple factors. In its pomp during the early-mid 1990s the DTM worked because it offered big, powerful and technically-advanced cars of the kind that Germans like to see (as opposed to 2-litre Supertouring 'shopping cars').

The manufacturers gave tickets away like confetti and with packed grandstands, big names and good TV coverage all went well.

Too well. DTM decided that it had outgrown its domestic roots and branched out overseas, which didn't really work and which incurred the wrath of the then-vice-president of promotional affairs at the FIA, one B.C. Ecclestone. Bernie did what he always did and took the two biggest threats to revenue for F1, namely the BPR GTs and the DTM, and forced them into one series, FIA GT. Then he killed it.

DTM was revived after the EU anti-trust people booted Bernie out of the FIA: it was cheaper, simpler but essentially unchanged with 2-door coupes filling the grid. The formula worked well enough to encourage more investment from the manufacturers and a more advanced concept with their bread-and-butter 4-door saloons being turned into fairly hairy beasts. Then the world economy blew up.

A final throw of the dice came with effectively a one-make series where all the structural and mechanical components came from a central supplier, shared with the Japanese GT series, with plans to introduce the formula in North America and to create a truly global platform. But the fans didn't like touring cars without any DNA from the showroom, the racing was dull and predictable, North America couldn't care less about the idea and Mutti Merkel was spending billions to incentivise the conversion of her automotive industry to electric. So that died and it became just one GT3 series among many.

An all-electric prototype claimed to have 1200hp potential was run this year but EVs are a busted flush, the manufacturers don't see any value in promoting them through motorsport and privateers can't afford to use them so Berger's closing up the shop. It's been in such a sorry state for so long that there doesn't feel like we have much to be sad about, it's probably a kindness.

Real shame that its gone..........

I was at Donnington in 93' and 94' , which I think were the halcyon days .

Great racing, and great cars (y)

#7 ·
I enjoyed watching the series in 2017-2019 on youtube for free. Racing was very close and a lot of overtaking.
Moreover, it was not really that predictable - until Rene ast came on board.
It was good when Audi, Merc and BMW were battling. I loved these cars.
Then Merc decide to move to ev racing, they tried to bring in Aston Martin...the cars looked great but were never competitive.
And finally it moved to GT3 cars...

#9 ·
I enjoyed watching DTM races here on American TV. Then the coverage became race recaps with 5 minutes of Verena Wriedt, 5 minutes of racing action, and 20 minutes of commercials.
I have a large collection of 1/32 Carrera DTM cars. Are they now passé or collectors’ items?

#10 ·
I watched a few American presentations (pronounced preee-zen-tations) from the 90s on YouTube a while back. I wish I could remember the commentator's name, something like, Mitt Mitter-Mitterman (not really). Anyhoo, it became painful when Mitt's voiceover kept repeating the location.

All.

The.

Damned.

Time. 🙄

Like the audience had some kinda ADHD issue or couldn't comprehend of a place outside of their state and needed to hear it... one more time.😬

Those cars in action were so cool, mind. So, so cool. Hope my C-Klasse gets here today. (y)

#11 ·
Like I have with several other forms of motorsport, I lost interest when DTM went to spec. engines, spec. chassis, spec. everything else except for bodywork. If I'm watching BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi, then I want to see precisely that.

At least when you had Formula Ford, back in the late '60s, there were plenty of variations of chassis.

Reactions: driver#8
#12 ·
What did you mean with "went to spec"?
DTM till 1992? Because since 1993 and Klasse 1 rules the engine spec single type only.
Or do you really want different engine specs like R4, B6 and V8?
Is there any non racing outside LMH(d)/GT which allowes this today?
And there you got BoP...

#17 ·
What did you mean with "went to spec"?
DTM till 1992? Because since 1993 and Klasse 1 rules the engine spec single type only.
Or do you really want different engine specs like R4, B6 and V8?
Is there any non racing outside LMH(d)/GT which allowes this today?
And there you got BoP...
Single supplier for all chassis, suspension, transmission, suspension and other components from 2012 onwards. The only areas where manufacturers had a degree of freedom was body shape and aero package, although only one change to the aero package per season from memory.

#21 ·
No, not the engine. Officially. Although the engines were guarded closely, photography of the engines was verboten and when a Ferrari tech brought the acoustic equipment that most F1 teams to analyse each other's exhaust notes he found the DTM manufacturers to be 'identical'.

There's no great shame in being a spec series these days. NASCAR has effectively been running spec cars since 2007, arguably spec engines since before then. Indycar, Supercars Australia, the WRC, electric series... even the BTCC are all at it in terms of common parts and engines. Not to mention junior racing classes and so on.

Even F1 is likely to go to a single standardised tub in 2026. They tried to get that through for the current generation but it was a bridge too far.

Back in 2009, the FIA proposed a single 1600cc internal combustion 'World Engine' for all categories of professional motorsport, ranging from bog standard in Formula 4/entry-level sports cars and touring cars all the way up to turbo hybrids in F1, WRC and Le Mans. Everyone thought it was madness and of course Ferrari wouldn't hear of it, but the aim was to encourage manufacturers to invest in the recyclables and renewables rather than waste money on IC.

Ultimately I think that's the way it is going to go for whichever series remain in the next 10 years.

#22 · (Edited)
There's no great shame in being a spec series these days
Yeah, no. There is. It's just dumbing down. If you have a single specification for all bar aero then it's really not an Audi, BMW, Toyota or whatever car that wins; it's just a silhouette.

For me, real motor-racing is about teams designing and building individual machines to set specifications. In this context, most modern racing makes me kinda sad. 😔

Edited because I made no sense.

#24 ·
The problem is that nobody wants to loose, especially if you are a company.
Liked the idea from the Nissan GT-R LM some year ago at LeMans.
But the performance was underwhelming, Audi, Porsche and Toyota destroyed them.

And I think this is fact why today WECs top class is a BoP class... :/

#27 ·
I saw DTM at Donnington ( or was it ITC) during the 1990's

great racing with powerfull, exotic cars. 🏁🇩🇪

#32 ·
Well the first leak to the press is that tickets for the ADAC GT Masters/DTM Tango will go up from on average 55-60€ for the whole weekend to 135-200€ for the whole weekend.

I was gifted tickets to a DTM race back in 2017. I was only allowed in set of stands and to the public areas you could get to without even a ticket.
By chance I bumped into a guy with a paddock pass that he gave me. When I got inside the place was packed with sponsors.

By contrast I have gone to ADAC GT Masters races since 2015 (this year was the first time I missed it). It never cost me more than 55€ for the weekend. I could sit anywhere, go anywhere. There was even an autograph round and an inside tour of the paddock and meeting one team including the drivers.

If the rumors are true then 2021 was the last time I have gone to any form of GT3 race...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.