SlotForum banner

Goodwood Circuit

135416 Views 271 Replies 79 Participants Last post by  gus3049
OK here we go. My Goodwood Track thread.
I have some of the sections started, most finished and some of the sections still to go. Mostly due to the fact the I am learning more and more about the Goodwood circuit and how its driven. I keep changing my mind but I'm nearly decided on the final shape. I've watched countless hours of in car footage of drivers negotiating the final couple of corners from Lavant through the Woodcote corner and down to the chicane and I find they drive these corners pretty much as one giant right hand turn so I just made it so you'll have to balance the car at speed in a giant slide. I started making the track corners exactly like the aerial photo of the track but found it was a bit too slot car-ish and the cars would pendulam on the guide maybe a bit too much. Also, as you can see from the following photos, the track is 4 lanes and this final section is one giant squeeze. This is mainly due to the fact that my boys grow and get faster and faster/ there'll be little chance to pull alongside and pass as I guess they'll just pound around this track pretty much on the limit. Although the squeeze section is just wide enough to fit past..just! So perhaps make the corners through here work best suited to the slot cars and get used to the fact that I wont win many races around here anymore. So here are the first couple of photos and I look forward to everyones comments..enjoy.

Lavant Straight

Woodcote

Chicane straight

Chicane

See less See more
1 - 20 of 272 Posts
I dont really have a track plan. I just google earthed the track and then worked out how the track boards would lay out from there.

The Brooklands idea was ok and the boards I routed worked easily but you drive around almost flat out so that mean't classic cars in huge accidents. Still fun to try.

The Goodwood idea seems to me to be the most practical. The square flat layout will lend itself to some fairly large radius corners and the racing will be alot cleaner and easier to learn for the novices as the corners can be made with plenty of room between lanes. So no track plan as such but I've built enough layouts to know what looks good on paper might be a bugger to get a slot car to go over.

Next is to work out how to hoist the whole thing to the ceiling on a frame.
More work done today on the frame for the track.

Basically, its the same stuff we use to make metal frames for internal partition walls. Extremely light and very strong. Hopefully not too many issues hanging it all up from the perlins. Then it was a matter of putting the main chicane straight and start straight onto the frame and then aim the whole set up for a spot where I think the Lavant corner will exit when the cars leave it 12.5 metres away and then head up to this section. Its pretty much the only spot it will fit and its very close to the right shape so I can count myself lucky that the shape is ok..

I also re-shaped the Chicane ..

I thought its now a bit closer to the historically correct shape. The Goodwood Chicane is such a significant section of Motor racing track I thought it best to get it right. I can always make Madgewick, Fordwater and St Mary's absorb any extra curves to bring it all back into shape.
I also mean't to say , when I mentioned I didn't use a track plan I have plotted the whole thing out to within a few degrees using the satillite photo. So although I dont consider myself a rivet counter, if this track didn't closely resemble Goodwood, it would drive me mad.

So on with the show..

Heres a wide shot.

See less See more
Maybe a bit hard to see. Track is hanging off battens in the shed. Perhaps a pre-disaster shot. Lets hope not. It's not heavy so I just hung it off small hooks and some light gauge chain. I should park the new car under it. Then Murphy's law says it will fall down instantly. Or give me an instant "hillclimb".

This means I can now begin to put together the run through St Marys down to Lavant before placement of the Lavant Woodcote run.
See less See more
Nope no rain. Its the middle of Rep footy so I'm all over the country with my kids at the moment. Costs about $3500 each trip. ( God I wish they played the piano) so cant justify extra money for slot cars just now.

I've completed the frame work for the roadway down to Lavant and including the bend at St Marys. Its all raised up and looking good for weight and I hope structurally safe as I have our 4 cars parked under it. ( lets hope it stays up there or Yikes am I in trouble if....)

Only the run back to Woodcote to finish, lay in the boards and we're good to set up a lane and trial run it.
Cant believe its been six months since I started this track. A few problems occurred with the original design. One problem was the space around the outside which forced us to push the track against one side of the shed. My boys and myself managed to get away proper at race start, but every other "expert" slot racer seemed to be constantly having an off exiting Madgwick and end up in no mans land on the run down to Fordwater. This part of the circuit was quite hard to access given the position of the track in the shed and my pursuit of the longest Goodwood circuit possible making me reluctant to throw up the white flag for a 6.5 metre main straight and reduce it to 6 metres. Thus, to retrieve your car you had to walk the track backwards starting at Woodcote, down the 8.5m Lavant straight past St Mary's and then 10.5m back to about halfway between Fordwater and Madgwick.

So scenery was put on hold as we began to redo. I really need this to be a circuit that anyone can drive well on, I hope. So I figure rip it out and start again so all track sections into the skip bin, go from 4 to a potential 5th lane for a pace car which peels off as we enter the main straight. ( Can you imagine the temptation to nerf the pace car from Master 6yr old ) I can also potentially use this lane much the same as the 3rd lane on the little track which gives me two very marginal overtaking spots but you have to be patient. So no 'squeeze' sections apart from the chicane itself and perhaps a bit more anger into St Mary's which turned our to be a little easier drive fast into than I wanted. Perhaps you could argue to leave it like it is because no carnage and all cars pretty much in one piece.

Also redid the structure itself while the opportunity presented itself and put in a little bit more stiffening. Still very light given its size....

Hopefully some fine weather tomorrow so I can cut the MDF board outside. Really getting some rain here at the moment.
See less See more

made some great progress today. Went and bought about 10 new boards and began the redo. This time I also wanted to try something different. I used a power saw to cut in the slots because I wanted to straighten out some of the corners and a router is so clinical and takes so long to reposition your centre of Radius all the time. besides, going down the back straight riding holding on to something that has 13000rpm, you cant help but straighten out a few corners. I couldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't use a power saw every day. The little ones are the deadliest of all. I did start with a brand new saw blade that cuts about 3.5mm. They dont jump around much when the blade is new. So I basically used the router on the entry into Lavant and Madgwick and St Mary's I cut about as tight as the saw would let me. Very happy with how it turned out this time. routing time on this track about 4hrs.

The run along Fordwater should now be fast and open but tricky just the same. The corners are much more open this time. It will give me a chance to try out the new perfected track surface which has been great on the little track. Little grains of rubber in the 'paint' and oh so easy to apply. Not too sticky not too slippery. Should be able to move the grass onto the track edge and with a large something( dont know what yet) pulled over the infield and airstrip it should look pretty good. Plenty of 1/32nd scales planes will grace the infield. The chains by the way, should just drop to the ground and out of sight. But the airfield will be another day.

Primed 1st coat and thats enough for today. Should get 2nd coat and then track surface onto to it tomorrow.

With any luck one lane working by tomorrow night just to shut master 6 up. He's has also convinced me not to go with the pace lane. I did leave some squeezes in because the entry into the Goodwood chicane I always liked.
See less See more
Just about finished the actual circuit now. Got an early start, painted the track, taped all the lanes, done some wiring and placed a few boards around the outside so we can get some of the cars going flat out... we thought. As I mentioned, I think in our attempts to take away a little of the sterile environment created with a router, we managed to make this circuit soooo much faster through Fordwater. Just fantastic. If you get a good run out of the first corner you now have to lift to go through the Fordwater kink. Actually, it does really depend on which car you are using at the time. The Scalextric Classics ( Maserati, Cooper, Ferrari Sharknose) go through with a lovely bit of oversteer. The Lotus 49, one has to be brave and it will depend on exactly how fast you arrive at this kink if you have made a good job of the previous exit. Then all the more modern one just howl through this part of the circuit.

The car gets one more bend to go through yet so this next bend ( The corner before the St Marys entry) is taken heart in your mouth flat out, and really sets you up for the run through St Marys and on to the Lavant double right hander. Comes up quick now..... make me think to get a controller with adjustable brakes...

..this photo I'm sitting about 8ft away from the Lotus. So some good length in the track in certain areas...

The rest of the track is good. Still disappointed about the chicane not being realistic enough, but we've been enjoying the run through Woodcote which we decided to leave as an ever increasing squeeze and the crashing is about as much as expected because of this. It would be more the braking distances that keep everyone apart as the littlies seem to brake very early. Maybe they are just giving me a false sense of security..YOU know break out some of those old cars up in the house.

Track Times about 9.5 for the really quick cars and about 10.5ish for the classics....
See less See more
Not much done today. The kids just belted cars around today day and I sorted a few things out with the track. Very interesting how the speed had increased a little.
The above photo was just me trying a few things out with the chicane. Its very hard to find a photo of the chicane from the 60's. ( IF some one wants to plonk one in here for me that would be great)

Below is an overview and it gives everyone an idea of the size of this track.

The photo is taken looking along Lavant straight. I still think the fastest part is the run along fordwater. I notice I tend to lift off most of the time, but the kids are happy to crash at top speed still. Especially when Miss 4 just says" this cars not any good, Can I have another one!!?? Have you got any faster ones??

I'll need to get up on a ladder to get a photo of the chicane straight. So perhaps tomorrow.
See less See more
I worked a little on the electrical today. I've now permanently installed the 4 hand-controllers on each of the most difficult corners. Which means, if you did have a little off, good chance that someone will be standing there to re-slot your car.. eventually. At least quicker than if you had to walk all the way down there yourself. Basically the busiest spot is the chicane, and the least deadliest spot is the run into St Marys. So someone at 1/Madgwick + Chicane.... 2/ the run to St Marys....3/Lavant....and 4 at Woodcote. I also installed some switches which allow me to grab any handcontroller and have that controller control all the lanes for when I'm doing things on the track and I need to look at what each car is doing in each lane on the corners. I'm still wiping the track down with a damp cloth as the MDF dust begins to settle. Not so bad today and the cars are beginning to get some good lap times.

So thats been very handy today as the cars have all put in more than a few laps. Some good skid marks are also being laid around the track now.

So tomorrow I hope to put some of the decoration around the Chicane area. eventually, I hope to build all the grandstands and eventually have this part of the track looking pretty schmick.

One thing I did notice is the Goodwood chicane Barriers appear to be made from bricks in the Goodwood revival photographs. On normal track days however, just rubber tyres. Now I know they wouldn't rebuild the brick wall chicane and then knock it down after every revival. My guess is its something that gets wheeled out every time and then put away til next time. Can someone enlighten me please. And if someone has an old photo of the 60's chicane that would also be great. Maybe some one ask Stirling Moss. Apparently he had some VERY close looks at the wall in the past!

Next to consider is the airstrip in the middle. I think I've worked out the infield. By pulling some green sheets over the infield, we hope to paint with fleck so it looks like an infield. and we can staple them to the edge of the track and then cover the staples with a small 19mm x 19mm square pine and then paint them green. If we pull some hedging material from woodland scenics over the quad they should look like some of the hedges. Around the outside, just some perspex with scenery painted on it.

So heaps to do yet but the main thing is the cars a running around better than I could have hoped for. Second time lucky..
See less See more
Well, if your ever in the neighbourhood Graham. Don't know how someone from the UK will go in the shed in summer. You might want to get your timing right. If you pass out from the heat in the shed and we need to get you fluids back up, all I have in the shed fridge is beer...and maybe thats a double whammy . We do like our beer ICE cold. If its not hurting your hand, its not cold enough..

Another thing I've noticed in regards the chicane sometimes (in the photos) , theres a patch of grass behind it, and sometimes not. Do they move the chicane around..??
That was my other question. Who was the poor bugger to go down in history as the first person to run end on into the first chicane brick wall. If you were in one of those little Coopers.. OUCH!

Thanks BAM for posting the photo of the chicane walls. I think I notice the bricks have been laid at right angle to the track. By that I mean, the thickness of that wall depends on the length of the brick. and the fence on the outside of the track will have to be painted on to the perspex. I would love to make a little timber guard-rail but the track has a fairly long straightaway right before it. The perspex has a fair bit of flex in it.
QUOTE 9.5 secs - holy crap, that track must be HUGE!!!!

Rene, I was just talking about power supply in my other track thread. At the moment I'm running it on about 9 volts or something like that. If I run it at 12V, the little Grand Prix cars look like missiles coming up the back straight. So perhaps at 12 v it might be a little quicker.

If I lined up a 17 year old Italian at the track and then gave him a Scalextric Ferrari 07, I'm sure the lap times would tumble!!
See less See more
Echo Bams thoughts. What a great piece of archive racing footage. Seems as though the chicane went through some evolution.Brings me to my next point. Whatever gets put at the chicane is going to get a workout. If lanes 1 and 3 , 2 and 4 go through together , no problems but if the lanes besides each other try it, no way. And its a little hard to see your track width from down at Lavant or even St Mary's. Let alone the fact that these to drivers positions will soon be looking through a 1/32nd Airfield as the WW1 & WW2 planes rumbled in this afternoon for some recon. The airstrip will run from Madgwick to Lavant.... and a pesky Me 262 also buzzed the track looking for a home amongst the allied planes.

Also found a home for the little Scalextric starter dude. He'll find himself permanently in front of the pits.

More photos later on this evening.
So quick photo of the planes static 1/32nd scale.

The little bi-planes need a little weathering, the P51 is fine. The Me262 is also ready to go.( Grass runway yes I know) Apparently, we are going to take off in a scale model plane from the runway one day as well.( According to a mate of mine) We live on acreage so it should be fine. Quick blast out the doors, one circuit and land in the back yard. So long as he leaves the shed and heads west. If he heads east
..... and, If you go back through the pages for this topic, the helicopter sitting on the layout just before the entry into St Marys is also RC, but unfortunately I flew it into the shed the other day only to realise all the chains were still hooked up to the track. After a magnificent effort I managed to avoid every one only to just clip the last chain with the rotor blade and had to make a forced landing. So its up for a new rotor blade.

So the planes with some little men and cars for a reference to size.

And of course, the Scalextric flagman. Its so close to what was actually used at Goodwood, I thought Id' leave it.

See less See more
QUOTE Your aircraft are in the wrong place, try the other end of the straigt, that is where they assembled prior to takeoff. Where they are now is a banked enclosure for VIP's, the entry to the paddock is 50 ft further on just before the pity entry.

Thanks for that. I've no idea where they sit at Good wood, so anyone who has reference photos or advice, I'll take it. This is the only piece of scenery thats even half started, I just threw them in for a bit of reference in regards size.
Done about as much as I want for the time being with the track. Now we hoist it to the ceiling for a week and begin work on the grandstands and hospitality venues. Pit road will also need some attention. So this arvo, put a pile of timber through the saw and began to plane for the week. work starts tomorrow of 2010 and unfortunately, back to constructing 1:1 scale buildings.

At least with the track out the way, no distractions.
See less See more
Found this link to a photo of Stirling Moss' Lucky No. 7 Ferrari.
I think I'm going with the on the ground layout. Just need to find some more detailed photos of the old grandstand.

The new ones are will supported with many posts the old one just seem to have a large facia, probably made from a truss and good for putting large motor sport type signage on the front. Probably plenty strong enough.
Heres the link if anyones interested. Scroll down about halfway to find Stirling in lucky No7.

Goodwood Chicane
Found this photo of Graham Hill chopping through the chicane.
Haven't seen a photo of the chicane in this format before. But one of my next issues is the infield. If you look back through the thread you'll see a large hole beckoning cars to touch wheels and disappear into the abyss.
Tried to by some fabric but it was too expensive and not wide enough. So yet another opportunity to put on a thinking cap and look for a solution.. and I think that photo contains about the greenest grass I've ever seen.

Hill exiting chicane by Roger Lane Photgraphy
1 - 20 of 272 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.