Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably an old topic to many of you but new to me:

Yesterday, for some reason that only the Gods can divine, Speed Network relented from its usual prime time bombardment of anything NASCRAP and presented a two hour program on the Goodwood festival.

I have know of it, have seen still photos from it but had never seen any "moving" coverage - needless to say, I was impressed and, at one or two points, quite astounded. (My wife gave up and repaired to another television after I growled when she reached for the remote control!)

I do have a couple of questions for those perhaps more familiar with the event than I:

The saloon car race - how does one explain an A 35 first hectoring a number of supposedly faster cars and finally fending of the charge of a very aggressively driven Jag ( 3.4 MK II, I think)? All right, the A 35 is small and the Jag not particulary well suited to tight corners, but on the straights? the only plausible explanations that I can gin up are the (1) the race is strictly for fun and there is no scrutineering or (2) the scrutineers are so befuddled by the massive display of automotive exotica that they can't tell a BMC A block from a 1500 cc Coventry Climax.

The 60's GT cars - the winner was variously described as an Iso Grifo and a Bizzarini - as I recall, they were two different marques so (1) which was it? and (2) is this the only race in which either marque scored a victory?

The vintage monopostos were just great fun. the sight of a Morgan trike on the same track with an aero- engined behemoth put to shame all of the concerns that I have heard about running MG Vanquish Can-Am cars with 1/32 cars!

I really enjoyed Jack Brabham's comments about racing budgets - L 167,000 for two cars for a season (sorry, no sterling symbol on my U.S. keyboard) - I'm not at all sure that the billboard sponsorship and the attendant big money has been good for the sport.

The interview with Stirling Moss was a bit of a shock - made me realize just how long ago "those days" were.

Of course, I saw about 20 cars that I would like to build - just what I needed - more projects.

And finally - can someone please find something really bad to say about the event to help me avoid an unconsionable extravagance nest year.

EM

·
Registered
170 Posts
A35 was rapid down the straights and handled the tight corners really well, plus better acceleration from the chicane. Jag had an 'issue' and briefly pitted...charging back through the field to just miss out on 1st place. The driver of the Jag thoguht there was another lap left so he was gutted he came second!. PS Jag was too sideways round every corner!!!

Well worth the official video from Goodwood's online shop!

·
Jim Moyes
5,000 Posts
EM,

Firstly, to avoid potential heartbreak, what you saw was the Goodwood Revival. The Goodwood Festival of Speed is a totally different event held in June. The thought of you coming all that way expecting to see wonderful things like you mention and turning up at the Festival makes me cringe. So it's the Revival, early September.

If you saw the same footage as we did the following weekend on British TV, the saloon race shown was the Saturday race, where the "peanut" came third. It actually won the Sunday race and was the best race of the weekend for me, and the noisiest from the point of view of crowd appreciation. The A35 had been the nipping at the heels of the Jag for a few laps and when he finally made a move stick the roar that went up was amazing.

You are spot on about the scrutineering. The A35 did still have an A-series lump but not one that would ever have lived under that tiny bonnet. It was a 1275 block, probably taken out to nearer 1500. A couple of years ago a 100E Ford Popular raced and according to the programme was powered by an 1172 cc motor. Inspection in the paddock showed that the ancient sidevalve lump had given way to a probably breathed on Cortina GT engine. So that is some explanation as to how the A35 achieved it's victory. Mind you the Mk1 Jags all seemed to have the 3 1/2 litre castings machined off of their blocks!

As to the bad thing to say about the event?

Well! It is nearly a half hour drive from my house

Mr.M

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
It was the Bizarrini and I don't think it ever went that well back in it's heyday but it was driven extremely rapidly at the Revival. My photograph of the car shows it still oversteering on the straight well after Madgwick Corner and it did this on every lap.

If you've never been then you must go to The Revival at least once, I know you come to the UK on business so maybe you could juggle your diary to suit, you would not be disappointed.

Spectating is good around the whole circuit, the paddock is magical if a bit crowded at times, the racing is incredibly competitive and the atmosphere is superb.

If there is a negative; maybe it's getting too competitive with a few too many accidents and there are some very rapid cars that have been built much more recently than the supposed cut off date of 1966

David

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Alan, The true answer is that A35's kick butt! See Miss Marple tooling around in hers and you tell me!

Seriously, that race was fun to watch but the Jag was really fast and would easily have won if not for a little contretemps.

What REALLY made me very upset at the races besides breaking the ring & pinion on my own car was to see Willie Green unceremoniously and frankly stupidly punting Duncan Dayton's Brabham-BRM for no good reason after he had been passed fair and square, reducing the glorious old car to a pile of useless junk:

This famous car, first driven by Sir Jack then Trevor Taylor in 1964, had never been damaged or crashed in all these years and was fresh from a beautiful and accurate restoration.
This is not the first time that Green has been involved in serious accidents in which he bore a great amount od responsibility, but somehow, his license is renewed with no questions asked.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was very lucky to attend the Revival with the good Doc!
What a great experience! It is hard to beleive that I was really there!
For example; I watched when they taped the J. Brabham interview.
It was wonderfully sunny and almost too hot!
If you ever get the chance you should go.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Just to keep him honest, here is a pic of Rich (rmmseven) schmoozing with Sir Jack in the driver's Club.
Showing some class in his Home Depot overalls.

El Dok

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Red A35 has a whole article on it in the latest 'Octane magazine issue 19 January 2005. It's specs I quote

Rae Davis Racing A35

Engine: 1293cc race-spec A series, Weber 45DCOE

Power: 132bhp @ 7200rpm

Torque: 105lb ft @ 5500rpm

Transmission: Jack Knight dog box and limited-slip diff, strenghthened driveshafts

Suspension: Front: lower wishbones, coils, negative camber trunnions, uprated lever-arm dampers
Rear: leaf springs, lowering blocks, uprated lever arm dampers

Brakes: Front: Midget discs
Rear: Midget drums

Weight: 675kg (1488lbs)

Performance: 0-62mph 6.5 secs
Top spee: 121mph

Regards Allan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts