SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear this post will show the true Yank that I am. I am planning a trip to England in 2006 and would like to center it around Goodwood. However, I did not realize there were two Goodwoods? What is the difference between the Festival of Speed and the Revival? Is one better than the other? If you could only go to one which one would it be?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i have only been to festival of speed, and seen the revival on telly. They do look very different, and I went to the right one for me, I believe. The day I went to the festival of speed, they were doing timed hill-climbs, 1 car at a time, and had cars mainly of the period 1950-1990 (though some older cars) - and I liked seeing some of the newer cars too. Revival has propper races.

I went to see cars, not races, and newer cars than i believe are the core of the revival.

In both, you can go into the paddocks, be amongst the cars mechanics and drivers.

Over to other people and their experiences/opinions

·
Registered
170 Posts
Depends if you want to see Vintage cars race in anger or moderm & semi modern put on a 'display'.

DO BOTH!, but I prefer Revival!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
An important part of the Revival is the dressing up in period costume - anything from uniform to jacket and tie. This crowd participation factor is, I believe, unique and really adds to the fun of the event, especially for other half as who might not be so fascinated by the cars and races

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If you're coming over from the US, please, please make it the revival! There's nothing like it. You don't HAVE to dress up- the entertainment is on the track, big time. Plus the fact that even the car park is more impressive than the average motor show.
To see these fabulous cars race, well, it's wonderful. Timed runs up the hill have a certain buzz I agree, but 8CLT Alfas banging wheels- I ask you ? What can you possibly imagine that could be better?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jay, it comes down to what you are expecting these events to be like and what age range of vehicles you wish to see. I have been to both, but however good the Revival race meeting is, its 1966 racecar cut-off date and the fact that you do have to dress up if you want any chance of meeting anybody, my money would been on the Festival.

I have been to all but 2 and have never been disappointed. Go for the full 3 days and just soak up what is as close to heaven as you will ever get! I have seen cars that I used to dream about as a child but would never think I could ever see run, and held conversations with people who have been life long hero's. What you will see there is everything from the begining of the sport to the lastest F1 machinery driven by stars old and new.

You wont be dissapointed.

GT

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE You don't HAVE to dress up...

But if you don't they won't let you in the paddock... ask Rich, without a tie they nearly kicked him out.
Regards,

Doc Pea

·
John Roche
4,156 Posts
Whichever one you choose, make sure you book your accomodation early. It's fully booked for miles around well in advance often with repeat bookings for the next year.

John

·
Registered
209 Posts
We have lived about 3 miles from Goodwood for the past 5 years now and have been to this festival a few times... definately worth a trip...

However... I've always been working on Revival weekend but a colleague and good friend of mine has been several times and he says given the choice it would be the Revival everytime for him... Possibly because he get to meet a lot of his former colleagues / friends / drivers and even some of the cars he worked on... Without a doubt, make an effort to dress up in period clothing....

Either way, I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable day....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If you want access to the paddock at the Goodwood revival as well as dressing in a Jacket and Tie. You have to be a member of the Goodwood Road Racing Club. This cost me £80 this year 2004. The Festival of Speed allows everyone in the paddocks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
From another Yanks perspective you can not go wrong with either event but they are very different. I went to the Festival in 2000 and the Revival this year.

The Festival has more modern cars, including current racecars, but they run one at a time up the hill. The current F-1 burn-outs and doughnuts are impressive.

The Revival is a unique event, it is like stepping back in time to a race in the early sixties, including the clothing wore by the paying spectators! The racing is fantastic! The newest car will be a Lola T-70 spyder, so most of the cars that were run were before my time.

Overall two outstanding events!

Rich

PS Yes I did get busted for not wearing a tie and jacket in the paddock as it was very hot and humid, luckily the marshal was a young lady and I was able to charm my way in.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
So who is up for an Official SlotForum meeting at the 2005 Revival?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
If anybody's keen, I'll try to organise a race night on that weekend, too. Using Goodwood inspired vehicles, perhaps. Liphook and Bolwextric are both within a half hour drive of Goodwood. Hornby/Cartrix classic GPs and Ninco/Carrera 50s sports cars etc. You know, fun stuff!

Mr.M

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Top Idea!

Does anyone have inside info or contacts to look into block ticket booking maybe?
Plus accomodation around the tracks being suggested for the evening racing? Might be easier to do that than try and stay on site or close to Goodwood?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 25 Oct 2004, 22:59)Does anyone have inside info or contacts to look into block ticket booking maybe?
Plus accomodation around the tracks being suggested for the evening racing? Might be easier to do that than try and stay on site or close to Goodwood?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can check into block booking, got a feeling it would have to be tied to some sort of corporate package though. Perhaps a note from Scott on Toyota stationery would have some success. I get discount on two weekend tickets and they come with paddock passes, but after that I have the same access as any other non-club member. Saying that, I don't think there's a limit on how many I can order!

The accomodation could be OK that distance from Goodwood! I know that it's near impossible to get anything close to the track. Mark Scale has a stall at the event and he has to stay in Portsmouth, which is virtually half an hour away.

Mr.M

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Some of our support team stay along the road from me - and I'm 45 mins form Goodwood. Accommodation is hard to find and expensive. We struggle to get places, but I can ask for a few rooms to be held with names TBC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts