Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
David Muchow was of course the overall winner of the 1966 Strombecker "world contest" and won himself a car he was too young to drive as well as a trip to paris all expenses paid.
Try something like that today...

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
QUOTE (TSRF @ 18 Mar 2012, 03:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David Muchow was of course the overall winner of the 1966 Strombecker "world contest" and won himself a car he was too young to drive as well as a trip to paris all expenses paid.
Try something like that today...

Well ... times change but this seems like a pretty good prize for a racing game to me:-

Lucas Ordóñez

Mike

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Actually, I think David was 17, so he was old enough to drive! Legal age in the USA is 16, and you can start driving at 15-1/2 with a learner's permit... He couldn't vote or be drafted, however. (It was famous US pro Howie Ursaner who won a car when he was only 15).

I left the whole page in there because I thought you might enjoy that little snippet too...

Sorry the scan didn't come out better, the original photos are fairly clear, but when I scanned them they got that "scanning" effet - not sure what it's called in English! Would scanning at higher resolution have helped?

Don

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
I'm sure SlotForums U.K."old fogies will remember the Longlife (car batteries) competition, where a Ford Cortina MK.1 was up for grabs.
Final was held on 26th November 1966 at the Wessex Hotel Bournmouth.
Bill Rimmer of the ARRA, Southport club won the event & car.
Second, 15 year old Steve Broadbridge, Chichester, picked up a Lambretta scooter.
Third, Chris Rigby, Ashton, got a moped.
Fourth, Laurie Hedley, Weybridge.
Fifth, Mike Wall, Plaistow, now Yorkley!
Sixth, Ken Stokes, Midsomer Norton.
Full report in "Model Cars" February 1967 issue.
Eddie

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eddie. Wasn't that the one with a bit of controversy about the final finishing order, because of lap counter malfunction?

And haven't we already talked about the Brooklands Rolls-Royces somewhere? That's really why I started this thread, since the Tapsell name and the RRs seem to be well known in the British Isles...

Don

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Don
Great stuff ,in the photo I notice that on the extreme left is stan alton ,who built the championship winning roller and i think standing next to gordon is trevor crout who was an employee of GT models doing many of the moulds for them
Stan and trevor are both still racing today and stan is still winning team race championships
The other member of the team was the late john snewin who I cant recognise from that picture which is not terribly good

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi Don,
As was discovered in another thread Gordon Tapsell now lives in the USA.
Sadly John Snewin passed away a few years ago.
As Tony says, Stan Alton and Trevor Crout are both still slot racing almost 50 years after that picture was taken.
Indeed they were both racing at Wellingborough yesterday and both of them made the top final. Stan finishing 4th and Trevor 6th.
Stan must hold the record for being a member of the club championship winning team with the most different clubs having been in the winning teams from Beckenham (1965), Sidcup (1967), Coulsdon (1968), Sydenham (1970) and Luton, his home club for the past 30 years (2007 & 2010).
Trevor now races at Coulsdon and has recently retired from his architectural model making business.
He was the master model maker behind all those fondly remembered GT Models vac form bodies and has continued to produce new ones under his own Cat brand.
I was talking to him yesterday and he says he has firm plans to recreate some of the GT Bodies now he has more free time but is a little unsure which ones would be most desired and popular.
Keep a look out for his new website which should go live fairly soon.
Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts