SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My professor motor controller turned up today (thanks to getslotted excellent service as always!).
Can't wait for the weekend to run it - there is no point to this post I am just excited !:D

At last I got a decent controller and from what people say the best.

Chris

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Chris.

I will be very interested in how you get on with it as I'm considering getting at least one.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan(BeeJay),
Will let you know how I get on with it - what you currently running now ?
I was on standard crappy scalextric controllers - ran some Parmas at
the weekend and was shocked how much difference they made and decided
if I was getting new ones - got the whole hog , after its price is the same
as two Parmas (45 & 25ohm) so why not ?

Anyway today keeps getting better though my new Mclaren GT (sok livery)
has just turned up !

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will say this much...everybody that I know that has used the Prof. Motors controllers ONCE ...now has them in use FULL TIME!

I have Carrera and after using the crappy plunger contollers, I purchased 2 of the Silver Series ($49.00 USD) and have been quite pleased. Having a 7 year old in the house that uses the track as much as I do means they go through their fair share of punishment and after a year...still no problems.

My brother also has Scalextric Sport track and after using my controllers on my track, purchased a set for his...again, absolutely fell in love with them.

You will not be sorry you bought them and probably the best thing you could have done to improve your track.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the votes of confidence , I was v. hesitant spending so much
on a controller but from what you guys have said and what I read elsewhere
on the web and this forum I am not going to regret it one bit - I came to
the conclusion of whats the point on spending money on good cars , extra track etc. if you don't have proper control of your cars ?.

Best thing is that its plug 'n' play - goes straight into my Sport base.

As for the Mclaren F1 - I had no idea how much people loved these models till
recently - infact my first drive on one was on friday last week (thanks Julian) and I ordered on the Saturday. They handle well and are great fun to drive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Professor Motor I had a go of was very impressive and I too would love to get one but prices in the UK are abit beyond what I'm willing to pay.

I find a Parma is ample for my needs and believe me you can get them cheap if you want. I paid £14 only last week for a brand new one from Ebay.com.(The weak dollar is a blessing at the moment!!!) It came from America,was posted on Saturday and arrived Tuesday morning. I'm not one to moan but thats quicker than stuff i've ordered from UK dealers.

Maybe i'll have a look if I can import a PM controller on the cheap from the US as well

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a look at importing them , the cheapest I found was getting them from
Canada - but then only saved £7-£8 and as its not coming from e-bay but a shop
you will get stung on tax on the way in

Still if you find a way round , please let us all know as I still need a second one !

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend did contact me a couple days ago saying he was off to America to his brothers wedding and getting aload of PM controllers for some others at a club I sometimes goto and did I want one.
With hindsight maybe I should have said yes

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
cant say they are my cup of tea and i do prefer the resistor type but as most racers I have had an adjustable box fitted to it thus giving me the adjustment I need.

noticably the vast majority of people on sunday were using similar units.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So, hypothetically, what if you get them as a gift from a friend in the U.S.? Do you still get hit by the tax man?

Harry,
pondering in Livonia

·
Registered
339 Posts
It isn't so much that it is a gift or not. It's the value of the item. I believe that even if it is marked as a gift on the declaration paper work you may still be taxed. If you stick with the US Post Office for shipping and have good faith that it will not get lost en route then you can mark it at a lower value, say $20. But, if it gets lost in the mail, you're screwed. You can only insure something for up to what it's 'value' is.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
I got 2 last autumn direct from PM himself via the on-line service and they only cost me £28 each plus £6 total postage. I make that a saving of £15 on each controller, compared to the price I've seen on a well known UK retailer's web site. A saving well worth having I think. Of course the price will vary compared to the exchange rate, so it is worth checking before ordering.

M

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also got mine direct from PM last year sometime. I think it was 45 USD per controller, shipping costs were 10 USD so about £28 and £6.00 as Mo55man says.

I had heard how good their customer service was so I contacted them directly regarding my choice of controller and got some very friendly replies back.

They came well packaged and from receipt of order they only took a few days or so to arrive.

Not wishing to detract attention away from our (excellent) UK stockists but sometimes it is not always the easiest option.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi!

Does somebody know if Prof. Motor has some trouble with e-mail? I try to order from him via e-mail for three times, but got no answers. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matevz

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
After I received my controllers I e-mailed the professor to thank him etc and got an immediate response thanking me for the feedback. I didn't have any problems then.

The e-mail address I used was [email protected]

The web address requested by Gecko is as above from Fouldsc

M

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I have emailed Prof Motor three times over the last 4 weeks and have yet to have a response - who knows?

If you do order from US it is always worth building in to your cost assumptions what the total will be if you get charged the duty - 17.5% + about £8 handling charge by the UK postal service. Then if you don't get charged its an unexpected bonus. With these charges the UK option (GS) (with loyalty points etc) is good value but its your choice after your risk analysis.

I've been 'caught' 50% of the time. Ways round:
- our friend Wankel suggested getting things posted to RofI and then go and pick them up from across the border - only good if you live in N Ireland. Eire customs seem more lax
- get the items delivered to a US friend (most US retailers offer free p&p to US) and then get them to post it on. You should find the friends postage will be cheaper than the retailers to the UK. However you won't get the US tax deducted from the price and you still might be suckered for UK duty if the true value of the items is declared on the customs form even if it is ticked a gift

Matt

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've been thinking of getting new controllers for a while now. But I can't really justify the cost to myself... but then I hear all this raving about the professor's ones...
...and I am using the old eighties controllers from Scalextric, so a change is desperatley needed (but expensive since I've got four lanes). The problem is that I've never tested any of the Professors controllers, and therefore know little of them. I have however tested Parma economy controllers, and they seemed fine and durable, but not very exiteing. But with the prices in america on the professor ones I think I 'll have to give them a try. The question is just what model to get, and what's the difference between them? Is it just in the adjustability, or also in the ergonomics? They seem pretty upgradable, later on, so starting with a basic model for 48 $ can't be that wrong can it? I'm running mostly standard type motors, with a few exeptions, and no mags.

And for Integrali, why do you prefer the resistor type, and what model do you rate the highest? Is there a different feel, or what's the deal? I'm all ears here, since I haven't tried any electronic ones before.

Toby

1 - 20 of 44 Posts