Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks Aaron for getting these to me so quickly. I swear your mail system is faster than ours! What was that...5 days including the weekend to come across the big pond? Excellent.

Now for my delemma...the bearing on the gear side of the rear axle has to be repositioned when doing the swap. The wheel came right off without a hitch on the opposite side but on the side where the gear is...that one is on really tight!

So any ideas on how to remove the gear and wheel so I can put them in the new chassis? I figure I must need some sort of gear pulling thingy here and I really do not want to bend the axles...would have been a help if the axles were replaced along with the chassis from Fly.

Sorry but other than some tweaking and tuning, I have never done a major gear deal with any of these.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did finally get it off and frankly, I'm sorry I ever tried this in the first place!

OK...I got the new chassis to retrofit to my #10 and #11 Fly GT-40's. So I sat down and got the #10 and proceeded to remove everything to fit into the new chassis.

While removing the rear axle assembly from the old chassis...well it was a tight fit on the bearings and the chassis cracked...no sweat I figure since I won't need this when it is all said and done. OOPS...rear on.

everything up to fitting the rear axle onto the new chassis went OK...a little hassle with the wire, braids and guide, but got it done.

I had a hell of a time getting the dear off the rear axle but it finally worked. Now the axle has to be disassembled since the bearings will now sit in a different configuration in relation to the gear, bearing setup. On the old chassis, the bearing sat outside the gear between the gear and the wheel. On the new chassis, the bearing mounting is inside of the gear.

here's the problem...there are serrated edges on the axle that provide some bite for the plastic gear. With the new chassis, the gear has to move about 3/16 of an inch outside the serrated edges and now has nothing to bite on...too much torque will cause the gear to spin.

But this is further complicated with the new placement of the bearing...these serrated edges now sit where the bearing is. Although it will spin somewhat...it needs a new rear axle in order for this whole chassis swap to work.

Now top it all off with the *unavoidable* Tire rubbing the pinion gear and I have a large chunk of Fly fecal matter sitting in front of me.

On top of which...after so many removals of the rear wheels...I'll probably need a new set of those too now since there won't be able to bite the axle any longer.

if anybody has the Jamara GT-40 (red Fly #20), take the body off and compare it to the FLY GULF GT-40 chassis and you will instantly see what I mean about the gear and bearing placement.

So until I locate the proper axle, I have a dead GT-40. I can't go back to the original chassis since that one cracked that one at the rear bearings and the new one is useless without a new rear axle configured in the right manner.

Peed off? You bet! It was nice of FLY to concede that the chassis is wrong but let's go all the way with it.
[Edited by Wankel for swear word]

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
From bitter experience I have never put much mileage on axles that have had a hub removed and refitted - they just never stay on long-term for me.

That's why I'll not get any brake discs for my Daytona from GC and why I'll opt to replace the axle on my CSL. It ain't worth the hassle and I'll end up with some spare tyres anyhow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adding one more...then I'll shut up, I promise...

This was suggested to me on another board...

"Slot-it sidewinder starter axle kit.
Comes with setscrew sidewinder gear, nice straight axle, bushings and alum setscrew wheels for 16.00 "

While that is a great, and probably better solution at this point, why should any of us have to do that? Personally, I fault myself for doing this in the long run but Fly should have never offered up the chassis replacement. They have made a bad situation worse in my opinion.

The replacement should have been Chassis and rear axle assembly all in one unit especially since the Axle needs to be replaced or a flat out no replacement at all.

But it WAS a great gesture on their part of offer some sort of fix for it...but I am afraid that this goes hand in hand with the washers on the front axles of the FLY BMW CSL...a valid start but till an uneffective fix.

Anybody need a definition of a "DOMINO EFFECT"? Here it is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Crumbs, there is no pleasing some people!!!

Brian, send me your address again and I will send you a new rear axle for your GT40 free of charge. I don't have any with the Gulf car tyres on, but I am sure that you should not find that a problem.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
WOW! now is that feedback or is that feedback? Aaron must not have a spine! I don't mean that in a nasty way, far from it! What I mean is the amount of bending over backwards he's doing

Mark.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Brian, two axles have gone in the post today.

Wankel Ickx, email me your address and I will send you out a chassis with wheels, axles and brake discs attached for your Ferrari. And no, this offer is not open to anyone else!

The bottom line is that so many of you have bought Fly, had a problem and recieved no back up. I want to redress the balence and so if by doing so you are prepared to buy Fly again then I have achieved my purpose.

Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts