SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,390 Posts
Unfortunately, P99 still in the shop - Spent too much time in the "pits" recently - nothing dramatic, just the concatenation of 85 years of general abuse and accumulated wear and tear - slowly getting the wheels back on.

EM

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Is it too late for me to send one mark?

cheers tony

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unboxing #7 November 30
During the unboxing I said that I wasn't sure that Jack Brabham had much racing experience in Lotus cars which was a total brain skip on my part; I forgot that for the first portion of the 1962 season Jack campaigned a Lotus Climax 24 while his BT3 was being developed and built.

On another note, I had hoped to record Unboxing #8 today; I should have known that unseen forces would conspire to hold up the arrival of Taffy's cars from Germany. So es geht. ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the results for the first race (by necessity we held to social distancing protocols and staged the race as time trials on my 44' Ninco plastic track):

Race-1-Final-Results.png

Podium-Race-One-GPd-2020-2021.jpg

First Place A Rowland Ferrari Aero 156, Second Pace D Mitcham Lotus BRM 24 Third Place B Edwards Lotus Climax 25

The-Track.jpg

Here are the results of Heat One (almost) run on the inside lane. December 28 I know I'm getting old, as I figured I had reached my limit today and I will run Heat Two tomorrow. Results and comments are listed in the order we ran the cars which was the reverse of the qualifying yesterday:

Charles' Cooper T58 #10 20 laps 3 lengths
The steering is balky and sticky and the front wheels are in the air and unbalanced. Consequently it was difficult to negotiate this car with speed around any of the corners particularly the tight right hand turns where it would de-slot or stick due to jammed steering and/or high center of gravity.

Marc Tyler's Lola Mk 4 # 19 25 laps 26 lengths
This car absolutely did not like to go around the first tight right hand corner on the inside lane. Prior to qualifying yesterday, I had to trim down the overly deep guide as it was sticking in the Ninco slot. The guide was not sticking today, but the car was still spinning out or stopping on turn one which reduced the lap count. The Lola also had a problem with right hand turn #4 on the inside lane. The Lola is fast on the straightaways

John Prince's ENB Maserati #21 27 laps 8 lengths
The ENB had good brakes and handled well, but the Maserati engine lacked acceleration and top speed. The car was stable but was hindered by the motor's lack of oomph.

Mark Huber's BRM P61 #2 28 laps 9 lengths
Graham Hill's BRM was predictable but not all that swift perhaps due to a lack of grip. The good news was that is was fairly easy to determine when pushing the car any harder would result in a problem. The bad news was it didn't take a whole lot to push the car to these limits, and as such, its performance and lap times around the inside lane were pretty modest.

Sherman Collings BRP 1. #32 32 laps 8 lengths
Mr. Ireland enjoyed a fast and extremely stable drive in part thanks to the spring action in this BRP's guide. This was one car that had absolutely no problems with the tight right hand turns in corners one and four. It had good acceleration and was extraordinarily stable.

Mark Huber's Lotus 21. #8 30 laps 2 lengths
This car lacked the spring guide of the BRP but it was also very stable and handled the tight right hand corners quite well. However it didn't have the top end speed or the acceleration of the 050 motored cars. It was easy to drive albeit not all that fast.

Andi Rowland's Ferrari Aero 156. #3. 32 laps 38 lengths
John Surtees drove his Ferrari smooth as silk and perhaps determined to show the rest of the grid that a winning combination is an English driver in an Italian car. This car handled beautifully and loved the corners It accelerated quietly but very quickly and had very good balance.

Max Rossmassler's Lotus 25. #3 DNF (for the moment)
Much to my surprise, the Lotus lost a rear wheel with the grub screw flying out and away with about 2 minutes to go in the Heat. I will fix the wheel tonight and run the heat tomorrow morning. Note, that I did not make a provision in the rules for such an incident (my bad) but in the event of a similar problem done in future races, please be guided by this example.

Update December 29 am 29 laps 41 lengths

When reattaching the wheel this morning, I noticed that the axles on the Lotus are thinner in diameter than the standard, and that the rear axle has sleeves in order to fit the rear wheels. This may have been the reason the grub screw came loose(?) In any event I put in a new grub screw and tightened it down as best I could. On the restart, the wheel again spun loose after five race laps. I again tightened it down and finished the race. The car is a bit twitchy especially on the tight corner #1. I will check the wheels again before the second heat, but I am concerned whether the rear axle/sleeve construct will stand up throughout the series.

Andi Rowland's Lotus 18.#16 31 laps 13 lengths
Trevor Taylor had a relaxed and quick drive. The car handles sweetly but doesn't quite have the speed of the Ferrari Aero and it doesn't hold the corners quite as well. It is a quick and well balanced car.

David Mitcham BRM P48/57 #18 32 laps 1 length
Ritchie Ginther demonstrated the fine-tuning of the BRM chassis as his car stuck like glue to the track. The BRM V-8 may still be under development as the P48/57 could've used a bit more top end speed, but it's handling was superb.

Sherman Collings' Ferrari 156/63 #24 32 laps 2 lengths
The Ferrari team must've added some extra horsepower overnight as this car was really fast. It was a little bit harder to handle than I remembered from the day before, but then the inside lane is harder to drive--at least for me! Still this Ferrari certainly would have completed another half lap or more had it not had an off on the corner number one with less than a minute to go.

David Mitcham Lotus 24 #25 32 laps 21 lengths
I checked this car for all wheel drive as well as a magnet and having found none I can only say that the engineering is first rate, it stuck to my track like glue just like David M's BRM, but the Lotus was quicker. This car probably did not have the top end speed of several of the others, but it was smooth and negotiated all of the corners exceptionally well.

David Mitcham Ferrari 156/62 P. #8. 31 laps 31 lengths
Wild Willy had an exciting drive in the Ferrari. This car has a lot of speed but wasn't quite as stable as David's Lotus 24 or BRM P48/57.

Bob Edwards Lotus 25 #20 31 laps 42 lengths

I think that Jim Clark's Lotus had the most speed and it was also very quick with good acceleration, but the Lotus didn't care the tight right hand corners on the inside lane, and was a bit twitchy. Otherwise it certainly would've completed another lap or two.

Here are some comments on the second Heat:

Charles Lawrence Cooper T 58 #10 24 laps 23 lengths
It was a challenge to get the Cooper around the track although it was a bit easier on the outside lane. The issues that compromise speed and handling are the front suspension /steering system with a very sticky guide and a front end that is considerably off the track.

Marc Tyler Lola Mk 4 #19 30 laps 34 lengths.
John Surtees favored the outside lane as his Lola handled much better on this lane then on the tighter inside lane. The Lola is very quick and accelerates rapidly but it still is twitchy and kicks out its rear end on corners 1, 2 and 4.

John Prince ENB Maserati #21. 29 laps 27 lengths.
The ENB probably has a racing disadvantage due to its narrow track. Top end speed and acceleration were moderate.

Mark Huber BRM P61 #2 30 laps 17 lengths.
Mr Hill's BRM did not excel in the corners as acceleration was average at best. The BRM could benefit from better or different weight distribution. I wasn't able to push this car.

Sherman Collings BRP 1 #32. 32 laps 41 lengths
Although Ireland's BRP's rear end would kick out on the tighter right hand corners, the excellent spring action guide compensated for this and the BRP zipped around the track. Acceleration was impressive as were the brakes.

Mark Huber Lotus 21 #8 31 laps 12 lengths.
Mr. Clark's Lotus 21 was stable in all of the corners even the tight ones but this may have a lot to do with the docile motor. The FFO30 Solarbotics motor doesn't provide the torque of the FF050 cans that power the rest of the field.

Andi Rowland Ferrari Aero 156 #3. 34 laps 6 lengths
I don't think John Surtees broke a sweat in this drive. His Ferrari V6 had lots of power, smooth acceleration, high top end speed and handled well in every corner.

Max Rossmassler Lotus 25 #3 31 laps 34 laps
Like all of the rest of the drivers, Jack Brabham liked the outside lane much better than the inside lane. His Lotus had good speed, and most importantly the rear suspension and wheel stayed intact during the heat.

Andi Rowland Lotus 18 #16. 32 laps 32 lengths
An inspection by the race marshals after this heat confirmed that Trevor Taylor's Lotus 18 was indeed powered by a Climax four-cylinder engine rather than a V-8 so a good night's sleep must have favored Team Lotus. The car handled beautifully and was extremely quick into and out of the corners with a good top end speed along the back straight. Very smooth.

David Mitcham, BRM P48/57 #18 32 laps 24 lengths.
Ritchie Ginther may have been driving the older technology car compared to Graham Hills BRM, but Ginther's P48/57 was put together a lot better than the P61. This car was very smooth, and the car went in and out of the corners extremely well.

Sherman Collings Ferrari 156/63. #24 33 laps 8 lengths.
I expect this car will be an absolute demon on larger tracks as it has incredible speed. It was a bit twitchy in the corners but the nice spring action on the guide kept it going even though the back end would swing out a bit more than I expected. It is fast!

David Mitcham Lotus BRM 24 #25. 33 laps 36 lengths.
Race marshals again inspected the car immediately after the heat and confirmed that Siffert's Lotus 24 was indeed only a 2 Wheel drive rather than all wheel drive. Again, it was very easy to drive this car as it barely twitched going through the corners at a good clip, and with great acceleration coming out.

David Mitcham Ferrari 156/62P #8. 33 laps 1 length.
Lots of power and speed in this car. It handled really well, but it was a little little looser in the corners than David's Lotus 24.

Bob Edwards Lotus 25 #20 33 laps 18 lengths
Jim Clark had a good run in the final heat of the day. His Lotus has lots of speed, great brakes and excellent balance.

Here are some comments on the second Heat: December 29

Charles Lawrence Cooper T 58 #10 24 laps 23 lengths
It was a challenge to get the Cooper around the track although it was a bit easier on the outside lane. The issues that compromise speed and handling are the front suspension /steering system with a very sticky guide and a front end that is considerably off the track.

Marc Tyler Lola Mk 4 #19 30 laps 34 lengths.
John Surtees favored the outside lane as his Lola handled much better on this lane then on the tighter inside lane. The Lola is very quick and accelerates rapidly but it still is twitchy and kicks out its rear end on corners 1, 2 and 4.

John Prince ENB Maserati #21. 29 laps 27 lengths.
The ENB probably has a racing disadvantage due to its narrow track. Top end speed and acceleration were moderate.

Mark Huber BRM P61 #2 30 laps 17 lengths.
Mr Hill's BRM did not excel in the corners as acceleration was average at best. The BRM could benefit from better or different weight distribution. I wasn't able to push this car.

Sherman Collings BRP 1 #32. 32 laps 41 lengths
Although Ireland's BRP's rear end would kick out on the tighter right hand corners, the excellent spring action guide compensated for this and the BRP zipped around the track. Acceleration was impressive as were the brakes.

Mark Huber Lotus 21 #8 31 laps 12 lengths.
Mr. Clark's Lotus 21 was stable in all of the corners even the tight ones but this may have a lot to do with the docile motor. The FFO30 Solarbotics motor doesn't provide the torque of the FF050 cans that power the rest of the field.

Andi Rowland Ferrari Aero 156 #3. 34 laps 6 lengths
I don't think John Surtees broke a sweat in this drive. His Ferrari V6 had lots of power, smooth acceleration, high top end speed and handled well in every corner.

Max Rossmassler Lotus 25 #3 31 laps 34 laps
Like all of the rest of the drivers, Jack Brabham liked the outside lane much better than the inside lane. His Lotus had good speed, and most importantly the rear suspension and wheel stayed intact during the heat.

Andi Rowland Lotus 18 #16. 32 laps 32 lengths
An inspection by the race marshals after this heat confirmed that Trevor Taylor's Lotus 18 was indeed powered by a Climax four-cylinder engine rather than a V-8 so a good night's sleep must have favored Team Lotus. The car handled beautifully and was extremely quick into and out of the corners with a good top end speed along the back straight. Very smooth.

David Mitcham, BRM P48/57 #18 32 laps 24 lengths.
Ritchie Ginther may have been driving the older technology car compared to Graham Hills BRM, but Ginther's P48/57 was put together a lot better than the P61. This car was very smooth, and the car went in and out of the corners extremely well.

Sherman Collings Ferrari 156/63. #24 33 laps 8 lengths.
I expect this car will be an absolute demon on larger tracks as it has incredible speed. It was a bit twitchy in the corners but the nice spring action on the guide kept it going even though the back end would swing out a bit more than I expected. It is fast!

David Mitcham Lotus BRM 24 #25. 33 laps 36 lengths.
Race marshals again inspected the car immediately after the heat and confirmed that Siffert's Lotus 24 was indeed only a 2 Wheel drive rather than all wheel drive. Again, it was very easy to drive this car as it barely twitched going through the corners at a good clip, and with great acceleration coming out.

David Mitcham Ferrari 156/62P #8. 33 laps 1 length.
Lots of power and speed in this car. It handled really well, but it was a little little looser in the corners than David's Lotus 24.

Bob Edwards Lotus 25 #20 33 laps 18 lengths
Jim Clark had a good run in the final heat of the day. His Lotus has lots of speed, great brakes and excellent balance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John has posted a link to this video from his channel in the Scratchbuilding forum, and I thought I would do the same here as the Concours event was part of the 2020/21 GPd. My thanks to John for serving as judge this year and to all of the entrants for building such a great bunch of cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts