SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my youth i was fortunate to meet and get autographs of many drivers and it was at Brands Hatch in August 1962 i had the pleasure of securing Graham's autograph, bit of a story to this one .
Mum was a great racing fan Fangio , Sterling Seaman, and quite a few others, well Mum decided to take my brother and me to Brands Hatch checking my diary from then it was a race day and there were saloons racing for the Molyslip Trophy, so we set of from home flasks, sarnies, fruit the lot got a train to Swanley and then a bus to Brands Hatch .
On arriving did what everyone did in those days went to look at the cars and the many drivers , now Mum spotted Graham and made a bee line for him standing by John Coombs Jag and asked him for his autograph for the boys.now i can remember him smiling and started chatting to Mum and eventyally he beckoned us over and signed our programmes.
And that was the start of Mum thinking Graham was the bee's knee's , mind you he was attractive to the ladies.
He was in a similar mould to Innes there have been many stories about them in Monaco after racing enjoying theirselves
and in latter year he appeared many times on Sports Review and was very funny .
My personal opinion of Graham Hill is he was one of the best of that era again may not have been quite as quick as Clark but he was very smooth and the king of Monaco, and what a pairing Clark and Hill were at Lotus, so this is just a fraction of what i could say about Hill as a driver great, as a person from what i saw a gentleman, so Graham just a little montage .

Helmet Photograph White Sports gear Eyewear

Outerwear Coat Gesture Smile Suit

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Helmet Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Photograph Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Smile Facial expression White Organ Black

Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Automotive tire

And a couple of his COOMBS Jag interesting the before and after shot.

Vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Like so many from that era we will never see their like again , Graham Hill was one of the greatest.

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
I got his autograph at Silverstone after the GP in '67. I was 14 and getting to the race entailed a bus from Bedford to Northampton and another from Northampton to Silverstone. I was wandering around the padock after the race and got the autographs of most of the drivers who raced that day. I commiserated with Hill as he had been leading before breaking down, his reply was "Yes, b*gger wasn't it", not a word usually spoken to children in that different world. I still have and still treasure all those autographs.

Cheers,

John

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
When you consider his F1 career started in the Lotus 12 and ended in the Embassy he probably went through more technological changes than any other driver.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
An interesting point, John. I suppose it's possible to put forward a case for people like Vic Elford and Hans-Joachim Stuck, too.

Vic started in a Triumph Herald in the rallying world and went through to the end of CanAm. Quite a contrast.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Nice slotting pic, Keith. Jim, Jokin Bonnie-egg (as my very much younger sister called him), Phil and Graham indulging in proper motor racing.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Those were the days when some racing drivers could chuckle, very versatile, drive anything

View attachment 278879
Wonderful memories! I watched Graham win the Indy 500 on a big cinema screen in Southampton. The whole place went CRAZY when he won! And Jackie Stewart was in the lead for quite a bit beforehand too so we Brits were well chufffed.

But the commentators kept on saying '....rookie Graham Hill........' which sounded SO stupid when he was leading the race and going away too!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Gracias Peter y Trisha.
En la imagen se ve una notable diferencia lo que me ha sorprendido.
Sobre todo al comparar dos coches habituales que tengo bastante presentes: El P160 con 4.051 milímetros de largo y una distancia entre ejes de 2.464 VS el 4CLT/48 con 3.850 milímetros de largo y 2.500 de batalla. Es decir, solo 20 centímetros más largo el BRM que el Maseratí y una distancia entre ejes de unos 4 centímetros mas corta. Y hay 24 años de diferencia entre ellos.

Thanks Peter and Trisha.
In the image you can see a notable difference which has surprised me.
Especially when comparing two common cars that I have quite present: The P160 with 4,051 millimeters long and a wheelbase of 2,464 VS the 4CLT / 48 with 3,850 millimeters long and 2,500 wheelbase. That is, only 20 centimeters longer the BRM than the Maseratí and a wheelbase of about 4 centimeters shorter. And there are 24 years of difference between them.

Frederic

1 - 20 of 48 Posts