SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I had the pleasure of being able to wander round a few paddocks in that era , what great times they were , the drivers were there with the mechanics and it was normal to see Jimmy Clark saunter by , or Graham and Innes having a joke or two with the public , none of it was unusual then it was just like that .
I always though Jimmy was more on the reserved side but no he could smile and chat, perhaps more technicaln than Hill and Ireland as they were more comical with their quips and sometimes language.
And the first time i saw Bruce and Jack they were walking along together laughing at something wish i knew what , and not only F1 drivers you could get up close to Roy Salvadori, works Ferrari sports car drivers , and the club saloon boys like Doc Merfield, John Young, Nick Britten and so many more , yes i do miss those times when we were young and so free then compared to today , it,s a differant world now , is it better as regards motor sport , depends on your age i suppose, but i still beleive we had the best of it and one thing that never leaves you is the smell of Castrol R in the air.

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
In those days, Keith, none of us could have conceived all these years later that GP drivers would be accompanied in public by paid security guards. It's a sad reflection on...

Well, I'll leave that prognosis to others.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Where I was brought up, the Mk1 Ford Zephyr was known as the "supercharged bathtub" because of its body shape. It pre-dated the original Audi TT styling by some years. Graham is driving the real deal though!

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
A propos of nothing in particular, the original Audi TT was styled in California to a brief to make it resemble the 1936 Auto-Union GP car.

Jus' sayin'.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
A propos of nothing in particular, the original Audi TT was styled in California to a brief to make it resemble the 1936 Auto-Union GP car.
Jus' sayin'.
About the only thing in common with a C Type Auto Union is the lack of comfort for anyone riding behind the driver.

I thought that it was put into production following rave reviews of a motor show styling exercise. The stylist had wanted to get the effect of a wheel at each corner with minimal overhangs visually. In that regard it was successful.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Agreed. I find road cars boring. I especially dislike working on them as all the effort you put in only brings them back to their original state. If you work on a racing car you can improve it which is much more satisfying.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Jus' sayin'.
Interesting. I've always rather liked the styling of the early TT, although I never made the A-U connection. I took it to be a (fairly successful) take on some of the exotic, mainly Italian, GTs of the 1950s.

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
Thanks for posting more fab pics, Mark. Graham at Christmas with, I see, Colin, Jochen and wee Jackie before the latter grew his hair. A wonderful photo.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts