SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Heres a CAD drawing for a 41 metre competition timber track Im planning to start soon.
Its modular and will be in 20 sections that quickly fit together. The track is designed to fit in a Transit van or similar.
It will be CNC routed, and be fitted out with 1/4" nickel plated copper braid and will be wired purely for digital.
It features a 17 pit bays, 16 for cars and one extra for a safety car.

For clarity Ive split it into 2 views.....

First step is the design of the track. I wanted a slightly curved straight and 4 lanes to be able to fit up to 16 cars comfortably. I also want to get into 1:24 racing soon so I've made the lane spacing 100mm. The (almost) straight is exactly 10 metres long. I also wanted some technical sections.

The majority of lane changers will be in sections 5 and 12 with sections 16, 17 and 18 allowing back into the pits from any lane or to be used for general lanechanging.
There will be 17 garages going in but no landscaping this time. Track surface will probably be straight paint or paving paint. No Ferrodor this time.
The track will have 2 x 42" monitors.

Im now drawing up the flippers and flipper bases for machining. Both the track and flippers will be CNC machined.

Rick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Great track Rick!

Reminds me of a track design i once did for a club - they wanted a huge >40 m1 routed wood analogue 6-laner, with specific size restrictions due to the size of their club room.
Well... the table size was max. 5 x 16 metres, simply huge.

I made up this, it has the same long slightly curved straight.

I even made a short video, a ride on the track seen from the car. It was never built though...

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Q9BfZRdgVW4?rel=0

Curious about your progress!

Merc

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks good Rick, 10m straight is an ideal length IMO, curved straights are even better
Good to see you are not using Ferrodor, I like smooth tracks.

I know how much you like my 1:24 Nascars, you need to allow 185-200mm from the slot to the barrier for these. Mine is 185mm which is fine, but I've added tyre walls which brings it in a bit so the cars now just touch the walls. Having the extra space to the barrier is also good for 1:32 cars, it's amazing how much speed a non mag car with high grip tyres washes off before it hits the barrier, the opposite is true with mag cars, they hit like scud missiles.

Last weekend I raced at the Australian Plafit Championships in Queensland on the Plafit Masters Track flown in from Japan. This is also a modular track with 8 lanes & around 55m long. They used a Tee shaped support that simply slots together and has adjustable rods to provide elevation changes and banking. As with most things made in Japan the attention to detail was excellent. A very impressive track to drive on, quite tough in places.

Interesting on track this big, I could not find a single power tap, they relied on the braid contact at the joints which were recessed end on...this would save a lot of setup time. They engraved numbers on all the corners so assembly was as easy as 1,2,3. I wish I had taken some more detailed photos underneath, they could have been a help to you.

- Cam

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Cam,
Looks pretty much how I plan to do it.
I just checked my distances from outside lane to wall and it was generally 170 to 265, but I tweaked about 4 corners and added a fraction more where anything was under 200mm.
Ok all the flippers and flipper bases have been drawn up so now its off to the CNC shop.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Next step is tidy up curves, seperate draw layers to define each CNC tool process.
Red for example, cut on outside of line, right through. Cyan is the flipper pockets, that will be a 1/8" slot 8 mm deep. Light green is the slot for the garages to fit into, 1/8" 5 mm deep. Magenta is where the braids disappears under the crossover and will be a slot around 3/32" dia.

These are the stands, adjustable for any height or banking desired.

Next step, seperate all the boards, one board per drawing. 20 boards for the track and another 18 for supports, garages walls and roof, etc.
This baby will need 400 m non ferric 1/4" tin plated braid, on its way. One the drawings are seperated its off to the machine shop.
It will also be digital only so wiring lanes will be a breeze.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys.
Ok heres the odds and ends, flipper bases, garage fascia etc and flipper files for the alumium machining. Anything that can be machined will be as time is short.

Flipper base in 5 tool layers

Garage facsia and one roof section.

So the machine shops have received all the files its a 3 week wait until everything arrives.......out of 42 sheets of MDF in varying thicknesses.

In the meantime I will start assembling the Lane Brain wiring harnesses with quick release plug, enclosures, adding 3mm LEDs to suit timber track etc. Braid coming from the US.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
The track arrived last night, had to quickly asseble it to see if all the pieces had arrived. Few shots from the iPhone, so not the best quality pics sorry.

Next step to make my own braid recess bit and hand route all the braid recesses. This was not done by CNC as a more accurate depth can be achieved. All the stands, flipper bases and garages were CNC routed also.

Track size 13.8mx4.25m. Straight, 10m exactly.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments guys,

Heres a few progress pics. Routing the braid recess took only 1 hour for 22 sheets.

Now onto priming both sides with Dulux 3 in 1 interior/exterior primer.
Both sides of every sheet is now primed. Next stage, designing and making the system so each sheet locks together. If done right it will be quick to wire it up as no power taps shall be required.
Ive sourced the paint, Dulux semi gloss enamel. Braid arrived also along with Peco solenoid.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys
Its time to put together the flipper assemblies........

Once assembled will take only minutes per assembly to install, simply fix in place with hot glue, once cooled and tested screw in place.

Now its time to add 1/4" tin plated copper braid. Im not using double sided tape either, Im going with good old fashioned contact adhesive.

Rick

1 - 20 of 80 Posts