Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Grand Prix de Montana is an invitational three race proxy event to celebrate the 1½ liter Formula one cars that contested the World Championship from 1961 to 1965. Our hope was that the cars entered will be the finest examples of highly detailed, historically accurate, and skillfully built slot cars. This year's entrants were invited based on their record of scratch building superior cars from this era.

The rules for the event were drafted to promote the building of cars that are both beautiful and fast. Our goal was to encourage building of cars that were accurate to scale and represented the cars as they raced in each of the years of the 1½ liter formula.

Concours judging was included in the event. Points earned in Concours were added to the entrant's overall score and counted the same as one race.

The series began in Montana, has moved to Georgia and will conclude with a race in California next month. I will publish results at the conclusion of the series.

A gallery of the dozen cars in this year's invitational follows. If anyone is interested in information concerning next year's event, please feel free to send me a personal message.

Cheers, Mark

David Lawson's 1965 BRM P261

Chris Wright's 1964 BRP Mk 2

Jim Hansen's 1964 Brabham BT7

Mark Huber's 1964 BRM P261

Jay Hardy's 1965 Honda RA272

Tony Condon's 1963 Lotus 24

Dennis Samson's 1965 Ferrari 1512

Phil Kalbfell's 1962 Brabham BT3

Dave Jones' 1962 BRM P578

Dave Bantoft's 1964 BRP Mk 2

Alan Schwartz's 1962 Porsche 804

Charles Lawrence's 1964 Derrington-Francis

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Beautiful Mark!

What a grid...

Don

PS: Mark, just a thought: any idea how one of the vintage F1 cars from the 60s would do against a field like this? I'm mainly thinking of the Monogram Ferrari and Lotus, and the Atlas Ferrari and Brabham of course, which would have been the most competitive of the lot... Purely in race terms of course, they would have had to be super-detailed to stand up in that sense...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Congratulation to Jim Hansen on winning round 1 (Brabham BT 7 #6) and to Jay Hardy on finishing 2nd (Honda RA 272 #11), but especially to Dennis Samson (Ferrari 1512 #14) who came 3rd, with a car built in various hotel rooms while on business trips!

Also to master-builder Chris Wright (Mr Beardog) on winning concours d' elegance with his magnificent BRP Mk 2 and to Dennis on his 2nd place. Lot's of hotel rooms with red spray on the walls, Dennis?

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Great Looking grid that is Mark.

Well done to the winners looking forward to the next round

Simon

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 5 Nov 2011, 06:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lot's of hotel rooms with red spray on the walls, Dennis?

LOL, fortunately not!

I built parts of the frame in my hotel room in Boise, Idaho, but the spraying was done at home the weekend before the event. I got the car to Montana with one day to spare before the first race. Thanks to all the other entrants for their patience.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marc,

Even with my less than perfect Graham Hill?
Thank goodness for the skills of the other guys!

Cheers,

Mark

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
John

For what its worth this is my very simple chassis in my entry. BRM number 4

David

·
Registered
545 Posts
QUOTE Nice! Can we see the chassis now please?

Phil Kalbfell

Dave Jones

David Lawson

Charles Lawrence

Jim Hansen

Mark Huber

Jay Hardy

Dennis Samson

Alan Schwartz

Tony Condon

Chris Wright

Dave Bantoft

Regards,
Jay

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The podium cars from the final race at Dennis' Pebblestone circuit last month:

1: Dennis' Ferrari 1512
2: Jay's Honda RA272
3: Jim's Brabham BT7

Overall results for our series were almost identical: Jay's Honda won the championship. Jim's Brabham and Dennis' Ferrari tied for second place. All the cars have now been returned to their owner or are en route, despite my desire to hold on to a few of them indefinitely!

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
After asking for chassis photos I missed them being posted. Thank you, a great collection of cars!

Cheers

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts