Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Sorry to have been around so little, life (and work) and more expensive hobbies have rather prevented slot racing plans for quite a long time.

I have not abandoned my Atari based timing/sound system though

Ans i shall also be pursuing the idea of doing a full grid of cars for a particular year, following in the footsteps of many illustrious others.
Planning to base the models off the Airfix/MRRC Lotus 79. Williams FW07 and Brabham BT49

Still trying very hard to decide which year though.

I've narrowed it down to 3

'79 - the first year i saw any races.. Gilles hugely successful.. a possibility, ars are probably the most idiosyncratic of the 3 years
'80 - the first year i really took a lot of notice.. started buying Grand Prix International etc... VERY tempting - plus a chance to imagine what might have happened if the 312T5 had been a halfway decent car, plus Gilles' teammate was still Jody
'81 - the year i became fanatical about it, winners from 6 teams instead of just 4, 2 wins for Gilles BUT Pironi in the other ferrari

Bizarrely i seem to be leaning towards '80 not sure why, though i did always love the T5

Advice and opinions hugely appreciated

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
GillesFan

I built a T4 from a 312T3.

See linky.

Personally I would go for 1979 as the 1980 T5 was a dog ( a beautiful dog but a dog nonetheless).

Mind you the Williams Fw07 and Bt49 are already in period colours so 1980 might be easier!

All the best, I can't wait to see your results!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well now that the 1:1 racing is over , and the wailing and gnashing of teeth has died down, I shall, at long and embarrassing last, start to address myself to the question of the miniatures.

In this case and after due consultation with Mrs Gillesfan, who will help me with the repaints, as long as I can keep her interest... we have finally decided upon 1980.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Gillesfan

Maybe you´d like to know a project called Jgpmodels, wich is planning to produce resin kits with all the formula 1 that run in the 1980 Spanish grand prix. The first one is the Shadow-Ford Dn12... driven by Geoff Lees.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Jgpmodels ............interesting, never heard of this before!!!!
Anyone had a go at one of these?

The model on the Facebook page looks very good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Grand Prix International, that's name from the past although I've still got a few copies.

I would have chosen 1979 as it includes the Lotus 80 and the Arrows A2 and like you my first grand prix was in that year.

Having said that there were some great cars in 1980. As a side project you could fill up your paddock with a set of BMW M1 Procars.

Good luck and please let us see your progress.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'79 had its attractions but I have to admit to kind of not liking the A2 much.

Maybe I'll do '79 later if I still have the urge and I can find enough bodies to work on

·
Registered
11 Posts
VicElfordfan,

There is at least one person very active in this forum that has one kit,.... but I think he haven´t began to work in it...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Well I have the bodies I'm intending to modify. I just wish the picture was better.
Each is bagged with images of the cars as they are meant to be and a reminder of changes I need to make to the bodies.

Stocked up now with plasticard and milliput... trying to get up the nerve to actually make a move

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I did chicken out of '79 but '80 will be fun I think.
And I can 'set it right' and make the 312T5 competitive

I couldn't really bring myself to do many seasons post 83... and frankly nothing really post 2000 appeals

Plus for 80 the FW07 and the BT49 are already correct, and the Tyrrell010 is so close to an FW07 its almost no work to change. Also the RAM team used FW07s so there are a fair few cars for which there are no modifications.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Wow! That is somewhat of a different approach. Collecting all different bodies before even getting started.

If I had done so regarding my grid projects I would not have been started on the cars yet.... This is why I choose to do one team at a time.

This project I will follow very closely.

All the best of luck, Holger

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
QUOTE (circuittaps @ 14 Aug 2014, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow! That is somewhat of a different approach. Collecting all different bodies before even getting started.

If I had done so regarding my grid projects I would not have been started on the cars yet.... This is why I choose to do one team at a time.

This project I will follow very closely.

All the best of luck, Holger

Hi Holger

THank you for the best wishes. Yours and Phil Insull's threads (amongst many others.. I have seen wonderful work here by so many people) have been an inspiration for me to get going on this.
The real racing is no longer in the way so its time I made a start.

I'm thinking of working on the shapes of at least some before I get down to the painting.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Well I now have nearly all the bodies to do all three years so I will push on

I should take some pictures of progress to date, have started on 1980
I know I'm terribly slow, life has a tendency to get in the way plus I've probably bitten off way more than is sensible

Build a permanent layout
Build 3 years grids
Write control/timing software

Trying to make sure I plan sensibly

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
In the Ferrari 312T5's defence, it was playing in a totally different ball game in 1980.

Pole position at Monaco in 1979 was 1m 26.4 (by Scheckter's T4). In 1980 it was 1m 24.8 - and the difference on the faster tracks was even more profound.

Let's not forget that Gilles' greatest drive (in my view) was hauling the T5 from 22nd to fifth in Canada in 1980. And that in the T-car to boot. Meanwhile in 1980 all of Ferrari's time and money was invested in developing the turbo for 1981. A sacrificial year, then...

As for which of those years you should build... probably 1981. The Ligier was gorgeous, the Lotus 88 never raced but is another peach of a thing, and the Alfa was bulky but beautiful. The FW07 never looked better and the BT49 was in its prime. A really lovely field of cars to be had there.

You've got Gilles' brace of against-all-odds wins, he and Pironi were getting along just fine at the time (he was increasingly less sure about Piccinini, mind you), and all told it was a belter of a year. I'd go with 1981.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
MY pic seemed to have vanished

I now have most of the bodies I intend to bash for 79 and 81

Lotus
Andretti BSB Lotus 80
Reutemann MRRC Lotus 79

Tyrrell
Jarier
Pironi
Daly
MRRC Lotus 79

Brabham
Lauda
Piquet
MRRC BT49

Mclaren
Watson
Tambay
MRRC FW07

ATS
Stuck
MRRC lotus 79

Ferrari
Scheckter
Villeneuve
SRC 312T4

Copersucar
Fittipaldi
Ribeiro
BSB F5A

Renault
Jabouille
Arnoux
SRC RS10

Shadow
Lammers
de Angelis
BSB F5A

Wolf
Rosberg
MRRC L79

Ensign
Surer
MN179 Resin Cast (Mataro?)

Merzario
Merzario
BSB F5A

Ligier
Depailler
Laffite
Exin JS11

Williams
Jones
Regazoni
MRRC FW07

Arrows
Patrese
Mass
MRRC BT49

Rebaque
Rebaque
MRRC L79

Alfa Romeo
Brambilla
Giacomelli
MRRC BT49

Kauhsen
Brancatelli
BSB F5A

and 1981

Williams
Jones
Reutemann
MRRC FW07

Tyrrell
Cheever
Alboreto
MRRC FW07

Brabham
Piquet
Rebaque
MRRC BT49

Mclaren
Watson
de Cesaris
MRRC FW07

ATS
Lammers
Borgudd
MRRC FW07

Lotus
de Angelis
Mansell
MRRC Lostus 79 + Change Tail

Ensign
Surer
MRRC BT49

Renault
Prost
Arnoux
SRC RS10

March
Daly
Salazar
MRRC BT49

Fittipaldi
Rosberg
Serra
MRRC BT49

Alfa Romeo
Andretti
Giacomelli
MRRC BT49

Ligier
Jarier
Laffite
MRRC BT49

Ferrari
Villeneuve
Pironi
MRRC Lotus 79 + different tail

Arrows
Patrese
Mass
MRRC BT49

Ossella
Gabbiani
Guerra
MRRC L79

Toleman
Henton
Warwick
BSB F5A

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 9 Mar 2016, 12:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the Ferrari 312T5's defence, it was playing in a totally different ball game in 1980.

Pole position at Monaco in 1979 was 1m 26.4 (by Scheckter's T4). In 1980 it was 1m 24.8 - and the difference on the faster tracks was even more profound.

Let's not forget that Gilles' greatest drive (in my view) was hauling the T5 from 22nd to fifth in Canada in 1980. And that in the T-car to boot. Meanwhile in 1980 all of Ferrari's time and money was invested in developing the turbo for 1981. A sacrificial year, then...

As for which of those years you should build... probably 1981. The Ligier was gorgeous, the Lotus 88 never raced but is another peach of a thing, and the Alfa was bulky but beautiful. The FW07 never looked better and the BT49 was in its prime. A really lovely field of cars to be had there.

You've got Gilles' brace of against-all-odds wins, he and Pironi were getting along just fine at the time (he was increasingly less sure about Piccinini, mind you), and all told it was a belter of a year. I'd go with 1981.

He also managed to lead in Brazil in the T5, run a solid 2nd in Argentina and 3rd in Long Beach. I think he was extraordinary in 1980.. how many times do drivers whose points tally is a mere 6 manage to get in the top 3 in the autocourse Top 10?

Can't look past Jarama 81 as his best drive though.

I have started on 80, I think I will do 81 after that and 79 last

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 9 Mar 2016, 15:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Save the T5 for a while - there's a new Haynes Manual coming on the 312T series, being launched at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Plus points: Got some lovely detail shots.

Minus points: I wrote it!

Now that I think I have to have

1 - 20 of 56 Posts