SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
They look superb! My favourite is the 1976 Greenwood "Spirit of Le Mans" car, which I believe Monogram will be releasing as a limited edition:-

Note the rear "wnglets" and driver's safety net. The car is a beautiful monster; it had 28" x 17-15 rear tyres, a track of 64.2" and was all of 82" in width!

This is my own 1/32nd scratch-built version:-

The vacuum-formed body was made by Larry Shephard.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've been looking forward to this one for ages although I'm guessing it'll take a fair amount of tuning before it can run with Russell's car

The plans for the Greenwood Corvette (also variously referred to as the Super Corvette, Rocketship and Space-Vette) appeared in the Nov'76 issue of Scale Models and I've been meaning to build it ever since... all things come to those that wait (as they say)!

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE The plans for the Greenwood Corvette (also variously referred to as the Super Corvette, Rocketship and Space-Vette) appeared in the Nov'76 issue of Scale Models and I've been meaning to build it ever since... all things come to those that wait (as they say)!

That's frighteningly spooky!
I too had that copy of Scale Models.... I too was sort of just getting around to building one.... Won't need to bother now

Gorgeous looking race car

-Rob

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got to hold on in my hand yesterday at my shop and they are fantastic! They look better in person than the pics. I wasn't very excited by this release until i got to see one up close and personel. You won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad you guys like 'em. Not to offend anyone, but they remind me too much of over-the-top 70s American pop culture - disco music, platform shoes, hot pants, nylon polyester leisure suits, Super Fly wide lapels, etc. etc. Cheap flash and little substance. But then, maybe I'm being too judgmental. The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, CHIPs and other fine TV shows displaying American iron in action certainly appealed to many people. I think I'll wait for the NSU though, since that's what I was driving back then.

mp

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, my '76 Sebring car arrived today...

It is a *VERY* impressive car

Here's a few words and phrases, write your own review

Finely detailed.
Robust.
Quiet.
Sticky tyres.
Beautifully constructed.
Excellent finish.
Not too stuck down.
Many laps later....

Y'get the gist?

-Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Just got mine and wow! have to agree with rob.

I think revell's first release - the cobra - is (imho) still the most detailed and nicely done appearance-wise of the range. But this isn't far off, and unlike the cobra, it drives brilliantly! Nice consistent handling and fast lap times, love it!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Mine arrived this morning... well my sister (currently residing in Paris) rang me and said "What can i get you for your birthday that will get to you in time?" . Good old GS and their first rate mail order service!

First impressions are that it does look lovely (in a so ugly it's beautiful sort of way), although with a couple of niggles - the masking on the stripes is rather poor leading to some feathered edges and there is an irritating mould line across both doors. Painting of Mr. Greenwood's face is a bit poor too, the beginners mistake of failing to realise that the upper eyelid covers the top part of the pupil, so he looks a little shocked....

...no doubt with his foot planted firmly on the middle pedal and wondering why nothing is happening!

Brakes are quite poor, but the car just rolls sweetly on them so it's an interesting drive. On the club Ninco six-laner I kept forgetting and hitting my normal braking points then watching as the car smoothly cruises along regardless and comes to a stop mid-corner. But very smooth at all times. Not a racer(*), but lovely and complements my battle-scarred Hornby L88 nicely. I like.

Coop

(*) In our club classes. YMMV and all that.

Later Edit - This was the Sebring car BTW

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Picked up the "Spirit of Riverside '75" today, entirely agree with the comments posted and Coop's observations.

Wow, really like this car. The wheels & tyres really set the car off, as well as the etched metal parts. Also I think that Scalextric should take a leaf out of Revell's book regarding driver figures. The driver featured in this car (with what appears to be correct era helmet and overalls) looks neat, if a little surprised!

Revell definitely have me hooked, really looking forward to the other liveries such as the "Old Blue" & "Mancuso" liveries, which would become instant favs. Also, although I very much doubt that this would happen, how about a version with the headlights exposed?

People have often mentioned in the past that your favourite car is the one you have just bought - how very true!

James

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Argh!

Saw it earlier today and I don't think it a well executed model - I too saw the cosmetic faults listed above in both the ones on the shelf. The driver's eyes looked duff.

It may run well but I'm with Speedie on this one. It looks like a Carlos Fandango comic book car.

But hey, each to his own.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
At least the driver has eyes, and detailed race wear
How many manufacturers give you a plain driver, barely painted? In the case of Auto Art - no driver at all!

I got the 75 car yesterday. What a machine!!
although it hasn't turned a wheel trackside yet.

Mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts