SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I'm 13 ( almost 14 ) and last night i was looking for info on how to bend brass and aluminium rod and came across this forum,I was blown away when i saw all the hand made art and you know i want one now but I have no idea were to start.

I've been into RC cars for close to 9 years,model trains ( HO ) for 6 - 7 years,model cars 1/24th & 1/25th for almost 4 years,so i know scratch building and a bit of metal work etc.I'm also a huge VW fan ( I own a 1976 Beetle that i'm slowly fixing up. )

I have a few questions

Whats the best 'newbie' chassis to start with?

Any other VW bodies other then the parma VW beetle?

Would the parma beetle be a good 'newbie' car?

And were do all the builders here get their super soldering skills?

Also i am thinking of building a track since i am selling my HO train layout,so how would i go about that? I know about MDF and cutting the slot etc but parts to wire it up?

Any info about slot cars etc would help,thanks.

Jeremy.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
HI Jeremy,

Greetings from UK. Sounds like you know a lot already and just need pointing in the right direction for slot cars. I am sure this is the right place for you to get lots of helpful information.

If you are thinking of going routed wood for a track it might be helpful to start a thread titled "First routed track - help needed" in the Tracks and Scenery Forum. That way the people who know about that would probably zoom in on it.

Best of luck.

David

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Hi Jeremy. Welcome to the forum.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? A trip to Dandenong to visit Mobile Raceway might be beneficial. There are quite a few Melbournians who visit the forum occasionally.

On the VeeDub front, depends on the scale you're after. There are plastic kits available that can be converted. Arii and Airfix did them in 1:32 kits. Scalex just released a Bug which should reach our shores soonish. Revell make the Fun Cup series of racing Beetles. Plenty of possibilities.

Cheers
Embs

·
Last Place is my Place
573 Posts
gday welcome to this massive forum
again where are you in Melbourne?
its interesting now i know that im not the youngest on this forum, i wasn't shore before.
some of the scratch builders as embs said use plastic kits and then convert, that's the easer way to do it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

@ David,I will make a thread once i sell my HO railway so i can make the shed into a slotcar shed.

@ Ember,I'm in Mt Waverley.Yeah i have a few scale VW kits,i just put a tamiya 1/24th Ghia on the chassis to see how it looks.The WB needs to be 6 - 10mm longer in the front and thats it,its a tight fit but goes on fine.The blue rag top beetle? Mobile has 2-3 of them

@ 'raikkonen_webber fan' As i said before.I'm sure there mite be younger as this awesome 'hobby' brings people of all ages.

I went to Mobile and wow i never knew tracks were so big!,i also picked up my first real slot car a parma 'womper' and a VW bug shell.

Clean work table for once

Almost fully cut,i cut more of the front end after i took the photo.

The worst window mask job i have ever done! The paint came out ok but the windows are a huge fail oh well not bad for a first slot car body.

I also cleaned up the wiring since it was rubbing on the front axle.

Jeremy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update,also were would i be able to make a bit of a thread/'blog' on here?

After detailing.

Then my dad got one,since he has 100% no fine detailing skills it was given to me to paint

Jeremy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to Mobile on saturday for dad and I to have a bit of a drive,there were some utes racing and i knew i had to get one

It came out nice but the pink marble could be better.

Jeremy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.