SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Finland.

Like so many others I too had a track when I was a child (early 80´s). But mine was a bit different. It didn't have a slot and of course no guide in the cars. It had two controlled cars and one pace car. Cars were able to change lanes freely without restrictions. Cars were smaller than 1:32 scale. Unfortunately I don't remember its brand. If I remember right lane change happened when traction shifted between rear wheels.

So how I got into this slot world? Me and my wife had trouble finding a suitable Christmas present for our 2,9 year old son. Then I got an idea, why not a slot car track? He loves cars and all. My wife didn't like the idea at all. She thought he was too young. Well anyway I bought the cheapest available set. It was the Scalextric start Champions. I honestly had no idea what consequences it would have. My kids liked it a lot. So did I. So it didn't take long when I got a couple new cars and a second start set =)

Soon my kids were fighting who can drive and so on. So I really had no choice but to upgrade to digital ;-) So I bought the platinum set as a birthday present… for myself. No more denying that I had lost a couple of nuts in my head. At least my wife was sure of it. And of course after that I had to get the cable from RikoRocket and get the SSDC software. After that my younger kids have enjoyed a lot because I was able to make driver/car profiles suitable to them. But my oldest son didn't obey the fueling rules so once again I didn't have any other choice so I was "forced" to order the PitPro.

Many kids and adults have tried racing at our track. Everyone who had prejudices was surprised that how much fun it really is. My wife was really skeptical too but now she enjoys racing with the family as much as everyone else. And she admits that this is really addictive.

I have learned a lot during these last four months. Many many thanks to this great forum and its members. I have found tons of great tricks and advices here.

Here is a short video where you can see me and my family etc...
Youtube video

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Hubba hubba. Oh sorry. You mentioned wife and kids. OK... I'll behave.

Now seriously... Welcome aboard. The tale you tell is a familiar one. In fact, it's probably the most common excuse for buying back into the slot cars. And there's always more fun to be had and more to learn.

Embs

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
You are so right about the prejudices thing.

LOVE the Lego pit buildings. I'm going to have to raid my son's toy box!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Fantastic video ............... it's great to see everyone having so much fun. I guess it won't be long before you go wireless!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to control yourself Ember, I can take it

@Mr Modifier: My oldest son made those when we had our first proper race weekend. There was also a bunch of dinosaurs preying deslotted cars

@GregK: The only thing stopping to go wireless right now is money (=my wife). But it will happen eventually at some point.

@thoefnagel: My wife writes at some forum which is dedicated to family&kids or something like that. And I have heard that we are not the only family who likes slot racing
I have just gone a bit further with this digital thing and all...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought the Digital Platinum as well last December 18 years after my rainy day Scalextric dominated childhood, and my wife does not know (yet) the track is three times bigger (and more expensive) than it was in December:D

But I bought the Scalextric Volkswagen Beetle 1963 in baby blue for her birthday so I hope to drag her into slotracing as well:D

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
QUOTE my wife does not know (yet)
........ Oh I bet you she does ..................... she's just waiting for the right moment

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess what thoefnagel, I too bought a Beetle for my wife as a birthday present.
The car hasnt arrived yet tho... been waiting it for a mont now. Well better late than never I hope

1 - 10 of 10 Posts