SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so done things a little bit backwards by posting then introducing myself but here goes...

29 year old male lives in Dudley, West Midlands (this is not Birmingham!
). Many many years ago had a Scalextric figure of eight with Walter Wolf and Brabham (the latter in red for some reason), motorsport fanatic all my life but didn't get back into slot racing until a couple of years ago.

I've been racing BSCRA-style cars ( http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/ for about eighteen months now at the Oaklands Club in Smethwick http://uk.geocities.com/bscrauk/Oaklands.htm (track photo is a bit out of date now, http://www.abslotsport.com/page33.html shows the new section of track). Just discovered a local, friendly Scalextric club that doesn't require one to buy several dozen cars just to cover all the classes so I've started racing there but still learning about how to tweak the cars.

I also have a fair-sized collection of 1:43 Artin track and cars thanks to a recent holiday in Berlin - this sort of size is far better suited to home use when the home happens to be an 1870s-era worker's cottage! (It's also unbelievably cheap to pick up from Toys R Us)

I got back into slot cars by a complete fluke. I owned a Triumph TR7 and wanted a couple of the Scalextric versions. This was mentioned on an totally non-related mailing list and someone sent me a link to his club site. I was pretty much blown away by how sophisticated club racing was (remember my only previous experience was the aforementioned figure-of-eight and a mate's TCR slotless when we were about 10 or 11) and found out about the Oaklands club via the net.

Been an enthusiast of sporting and racing cars for ever, once (as a wee toddler) sat in the late great James Hunt's McLaren M23 and last year got to drive a Ferrari 355 and a Ford-powered Sport 2000 at Thruxton (that's what the avatar photo is from). Also sprinted my Ford Puma at Curborough. I think speed is in the blood, I discovered in the last couple of years that my late Grandfather was the head foreman on the final Campbell Bluebird speedboat's space frame.

Trying to fit in slotting around the other calls on my time such as working as a Software Engineer, enjoying my MR2, being a part-time art student (life drawing i.e. nudes), Wargaming and West Bromwich Albion. (At least one of these obsessions is shared with Moped Rider BTW - guess which?)

Coop

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE 29 year old male lives in Dudley, West Midlands (this is not Birmingham! ).

AHA! this old stick! being from Dudley and NOT being a brummie is like the old 'magnets are better than no magnets for racing' argument!

Anyway - you close enough to Brummie to come say high at Get Slotted on Tuesday afternoon?

if you need an excuse for getting off work you can always say you are off to stock up on Bovril!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE Anyway - you close enough to Brummie to come say high at Get Slotted on Tuesday afternoon?

if you need an excuse for getting off work you can always say you are off to stock up on Bovril!

Hi Swiss, what's Get Slotted? As for Bovril, yuck!, can't stand the stuff. It's a Brummie thing like owning a Rover Coupe and chunky jewellery!

Coop

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
Could not resist as we have an person in W Mids who does not know about GS!

GetSlotted is a W Mids (B'ham) based slot retailer. Excellent website and a shop that is heaven (slots as far as the eye can see esp if your shortsighted and don't wear you're glasses)

Few of the board members hoping to meet up Tues 11/11 middayish. Directions on their website.

Matt (aka Tucker Tips)

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Good to know some folks will be there!

We aim to get there around the same time but if late - you can always wax and polish James's little 550 for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts