SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been quietly visiting slot related sites and amassing a good sized collection of 1/32 scale slot cars (around 400 or so at present) for about 7 years now. Years of apartment living meant that I could not build anything permanent. Now as a new home owner I have a room dedicated to slot cars. In fact, the slot room was a prime consideration in my buying the house! Woodland Trace Raceway is a 4-lane Ninco road course of about 50 feet in Winston-Salem, NC. I'm currently finishing work on a scratch built pit complex that will be about six feet in length and I have plans for a 3-foot long grandstand, a scratch build tire bridge and a fenced in paddock area. I plan to post some preliminary pix in a few weeks. As a kid I was an avid 1/24 scale model car builder. To this day though I never kitbashed any model cars. That will change. I have a collection of some cool 1/32 scale model kits that I plan someday to customize, so I'll be looking for advice in that area. I'm also looking for friends locally who have their own cars and would like to form an informal club. Even though I have certain cars that are dedicated dynamics, having family over to trash them gets old real quick.

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked for them so here are a few pix. The track is operating, but the layout is in the process of getting landscaped. The larger admin building and pit complex are still under construction. I'll probably leave the roofs loose so that I can give some level of detailing to the interiors at a later date. I have plans for a grandstand about 3 feet long in the area where the tractor trailer is currently. The area inside the broad 202 1/2 degree turn will be a paddock area and there will be a tire bridge connecting the paddock to the grandstand area. Shot kind of hastily with my cheap digital point and shoot. I'll take better pictures with my film camera and studio lighting once the work on the layout comes along.

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add that the buildings are constructed with high quality photo mat board (about $5 for a 32" X 40" 4-ply sheet) and balsa wood. One of my other hobbies is photography (I'm almost embarrassed to say it since the quality of these photos is so poor). But I had lots of scrap matboard leftover from the "windows" of prints that I had framed. So it's use in constructing buildings for the layout was only natural. The windows were made but cutting polypropylene document protectors. Door handles were made by cutting two links from the pull chain from a ceiling fan and then cutting a small hole and small slit from the doors side to slide the handles into. It's hard to see in the photos but it results in a very realistic looking doorhandle on both sides of the door. They even appear to have keyholes! I printed the signs from my Mac onto an Epson printer and have tons more to pepper around the track at a later date. I'm also planning to give the paddock area an asphalt look to it by using black foamcore. The foam core is 3/16" thick and the Ninco track is 5/16" inch thick so the foamcore will be shimmed 1/8" to meet the track level.
The collection of cars on the wall is about half of my current collection. Another set of shelving though slightly smaller will go up on the wall. I'll be selling off some of my current cars on eBay this winter so that the complete collection can fit on the wall and so that I can afford to buy some of the excellent new releases. I've been collecting 1/32 scale cars since shortly after Fly came on scene about 7 or 8 years ago. Now that I'm semi-retired I have more time than cash so alas the scratchbuilding. My love for slotcars began as a nine-year old kid with an Aurora HO Model Motoring set that came with a Ford GT-40 and a Chaparral. Miraculously, those two cars survived my two younger brothers and I still have them today. Not much else survived though. I hope you enjoy the pix. I always love to see what others are doing with this great hobby.
Best regards,
Steve (at the Trace)

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Steve

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for showing us your superb Slot Room and layout.

Many people, (including myself!), will be very envious of your facilities.

What is the approximate size of your layout?. It looks very impressive.

The Buildings are excellent and use a material I had not seen used for this purpose before, I'm sure many people would be interested in a step by step guide to their construction.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Oh and................QUOTE Now that I'm semi-retired I have more time than cash so alas the scratchbuilding.

Let's see what cars you're building as well!.

Regards

Alan

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Alan,
I'm estimating that the track measures about 50 or 55' in lap length. It sits on three tables, two of which are 5 1/2' by 8' and the third a standard 4' by 8' turned 90 degrees to the other two and offset so that I can have access to the electrical box in the corner of the room.

I'm finding the mat board to be easy and relatively inexpensive to work with. I have a mat cutter which helps with the outside cuts, but I use an Exacto knife to cut the windows and doors and odd-angled bits.

Adobe Illustrator is unparralled for producing professional quality signs at any scale. If you have the program or another that can handle files in .eps format let me know and I can email you a link to a site that has tons of corporate logos that you can download for free!

Regards,
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts