SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a look at this forum a couple of times and have come across some interesting topics, so I thought I would join in.

I was first attracted by the prospect of racing models cars by watching diesel rail cars at Model Engineers Exhibitions in London in the late 50's, before I was 10. For some reason my Dad would not build me a track in the garden so it was not until I was 15 and could afford to buy an Airfix slot racing set that I was able to start. And then MAP published the first issue of the second series of Model Cars in April 1964 and I have been slot racing ever since. My main involvement has been with ECRA/BSCRA style racing. I was ECRA secretary from 1971 to 1973 and won the National Saloon Championship in 1973. I was also a member of the first N London SME team to win the club championship. I now race at the Netley club near Southampton and have been competing recently in the Southern 32 series, with only modest success.

I have raced just about every style of slot cars except HO and wing cars. I prefer to scratch build rather than buy RTR, including making the bodies myself, but time constrains mean most of the cars I build are the ones I can race and use Betta lexan bodies. But the urge to model an obscure prototype is still strong. The last body I made was a 1/24th AVS Shadow. In my head is a project for a 1/32nd Cummins Diesel Special.

Isn't the 40th anniversary of the first issue of the second series of Model Cars worth marking someway?

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hello Mr Smith
Must be nearly a week since i saw you last!
Good to see you on the forum, your wisdom and knowledge will be a bonus to everyone on it.
Cheers
John secchi [oneofwos]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts