SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Today I took the magnet out of my Seat Leon for my scalextric track to change how it drives, and because it was gripping terribly I decided to put some lighter fluid on the rear tyres, as soon as I did this, the car was slippery for about 50 cm, then it gripped so well, it beat its previous 6 second laptime by 1 second, the car was gripping so well! It was still sliding which was great, but after a while (about 2 laps) It quickly went back to its normal 6 second laptimes.

So then I tried figuring out whether it was the tyres making it grippy or the track (car leaving lighter fluid on track) and it turned out it was the tyres. When you add lighter fluid to the tyres, it makes it great for about 2 or 3 laps, then it goes back to sliding everywhere again.

So my question is, what could you put on a scalextric (plastic) track to get good grip with out magnets?
But I don't want it to grippy, would look insane if it left grip trails on the track like a routed track! But somthing that works is more Important.

Thanks!

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
Put some 3in1 oil or suntan lotion on the tires, wait a few minutes and wipe off any excess. That will give you more grip and the treatment will last for a while. The track should be free of dust, if you use solvents on the track you might remove any rubber that has been deposited there and you grip will get worse. I have beenn told that painting the track with just about any spray paint will increase grip. If you run without magnets you might consider lowering the track voltage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, don't put nothing on the track. Keep the track clean and free from dust.

I would suggest you need to look at the tyres you use and either use Rubber or Urethane or Silicone tyres, but don't mix Rubber or Urethane with Silicone tyres as they don't mix well.

Then you can look into tuning your cars, endless amounts of info on here to do with tuning cars, also if in doubt give the slotforum a shout, enjoy!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Have you ever trued (sanded) any tyres? If not you should try it, it makes a massive difference.
I would not put anything on your track though, it's more about tyres and tuning.
I've had great success with Ortmann tryes on Sport track.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The simple answer is to run Silicones

Run a few laps then tape your tyres - this is running the tyres over the sticky side of the tape to clean them
This will need to be done a few times then your track will be clean.

If you add a few drops of 3in1 onto the tyre this will also increase grip

Michael

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
a friend has a scalextric track wich is a digital set up and he likes the no mag racing,one of the options within the powerbase (c7042) is to reduce power to the cars.

He has dropped the power to 50% and running standard tyres with no additives the racing is both skilled and fun..

·
Registered
627 Posts
less grip = more fun......in my book! i just get dizzy with ultra fast super sticky cars. low , slow and sideways is the way for me.

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
I'm with the 3-in-1 oil guys. I also use NSR tire oil, but it's pretty much the same diff. I like to rub on a coat of it, and let it soak completely in. If it's still oily looking after an hour or two, I'll wipe off any excess and wait. So be careful, though. I foolishly soaked a pair of tires in old overnight once.... ONCE. They came out two sizes too big! They're nice and grippy, but they're too large for the wheels they came off of!
So, just a smear on the outside should do the trick for a while.

Of course, in all cases, keep them clean. I use the spit-polish technique most of the time, but also have damp rags on hand, as well as lint rollers for the sticky-tape cleaning method. Racers at my track can use their favorite method to clean their tires.

My set of Seat Leon cars has stock tire with no oil or anything. They've only been lightly sanded, not even trued. I like them to slip around a bit. I have cars with other tires, treated tires, from silicone to urethane and all kinds of rubbers. So far, the ultimate in rubber tire grip is that of NSR ultragrips. With an NSR tire oil treatment, followed by cleaning with lighter fluid, the result is different than the same process on any other tire. Rather than melting the rubber, it seems to create a layer or super grippy rubber, even more than fresh clean silicone out of a package. It's almost tacky in how much grip it has. While this insane grip goes away quickly as the tire picks up dust as it falls out of the air, or so it seems, the tires still have plenty of grip for many laps of hard racing without a lot of needless drifting.

That said, while I like a good set of NSR tires on certain cars, I still like a good variety, and so I still have all those other tire types with no intention of changing them any time soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi every one, thanks for all the replies!

It is a scalextric digital track so i cannot use the old classic track

I have some of this 3 in 1 but im not sure its the right stuff, Its oil which doesnt sound right straight away, i got it from b&q its a multi purpose drip oil

I would run silicones, but I'd rather not because it saves going to the expense of buying them all.

I have the 6 car powerbase and reduce the power to around 75%

I also found that after alot of lighter fluid treatments, it started to get more consitant averaging 5.5 second laptimes, I was wondering if it would be worth leaving the tyres heavily soaked with the lighter fluid (or 3 in 1 if thats the right stuff) or perhaps in a small bowl or somthing over night. This way it 'might' be really consistant... Or somthing terrible could happen like the tyres shrink or somthing!

Thanks guys!
Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi greg, when you say the spit and polish method, what does that actually mean?
I have never heard of it and just wanted to know whether thats what it actually is 'spit and polish' and the damp rags, is it water on them or 3 in 1, or perhaps lighter fluid or somthing?
Thanks and excuse my stupidness!

Joe
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 2 Apr 2012, 22:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm with the 3-in-1 oil guys. I also use NSR tire oil, but it's pretty much the same diff. I like to rub on a coat of it, and let it soak completely in. If it's still oily looking after an hour or two, I'll wipe off any excess and wait. So be careful, though. I foolishly soaked a pair of tires in old overnight once.... ONCE. They came out two sizes too big! They're nice and grippy, but they're too large for the wheels they came off of!
So, just a smear on the outside should do the trick for a while.

Of course, in all cases, keep them clean. I use the spit-polish technique most of the time, but also have damp rags on hand, as well as lint rollers for the sticky-tape cleaning method. Racers at my track can use their favorite method to clean their tires.

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
Don't let the tires soak in lighter fluid unless you're wanting to see the tires fall apart.
Yes, 3-in-1 oil is OIL. So is rubber. ;-) The oil will soak in and soften the rubber. Just apply a little and rub it all over the outside of both tires. Wait until they are both dry all the way around before you run the cars.

The spit and polish method is best described as licking your thumbs, then scrubbing the back tires with them. I hold the car upside down and alternately rub each wheel, using the other thumb to turn the axle. This scrubs off dust and dirt. I then wipe my thumbs off on a rag or my dirty jeans. If you put the car right back on the track, it will do a "burnout" until the saliva dries off, then it will have good grip until they get dirty again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks greg!

Just tried the 3 in 1 oil... 4.4 second laptime, cheers everyone!

One more thing, do you have to keep re - applying the 3 in 1 or just do it once, and which ever way, would you be able to soak it somehow to get the most out of the tires?

Thanks every one!
Joe

Ps. I thought this was an april fools joke when I heard oil! I am pretty sure oil is ment to be slippery, turns out thats what the tyres need!

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
Well, don't put the oil on and run the car right away. That won't do much good.
But yeah, once it soaks in, it should go great. A treatment can last a good long time, but it doesn't hurt to do it again later on, but usually not needed within hours or days.
Also, please read my previous post about soaking tires. Don't do it unless you're willing to replace them if they expand too much.

My favorite tires all around tend to be urethanes. They have great grip that is consistent. They don't take treatments, so you never have to worry that someone has found a better treatment for their tires to get better grip than you. And, best of all, they true/sand REALLY easily and don't get all gummy and ruined like some rubber tires can. If I were to have to choose one type of tyre for all my cars, it would be urethane, hands down.

But, as I'm not rich, and can't replace every tire on all my cars, most are still stock rubber.
Some treated, some not.

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
Any sort of tire will work better if it is clean. Aggressive solvents may clean your tires, but may harm them in the long run, in addition many solvents are toxic, both by skin contact and by inhalation. Mostly it is tires that are made of natural rubber, or some mixture that includes natural rubber that can be improved with the oil treatment. There are a lot of personal care products, such as suntan lotion and skin creams, that include some mineral oil and that is what does the trick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news everyone!

I have added too much 3in1 and now the car rolls alot like Greg predicted

I put the magnet back in from curiousity, and it beat my lap record, it got a 2.2 laptime because the tyres were so sticky.

Is there any way you can reduce grip?

(I know I over did it, it treated it like 3 or 4 times in one day! :S)

Thanks and once again, excuse my stupidness

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts