SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very valid question was raised during the Group 5 class last night: how are BMW M1s eligible, when to be homologated no fewer than 5,000 examples had to be built?

The answer is: the FIA changed the rule.

Group 5 looked like it was going to be the success story that the authorities had hoped for, with plenty of manufacturers happy to run cars that looked somewhat like their showroom product. However, the front-engined cars - in particular the BMWs - couldn't hope to compete with the Porsches and so they asked for dispensation to modify the platform. They were permitted to lower the car in front of the firewall by 10cm. The problem was that the rule had to be applied to all Group 5 cars including the Porsche 935, and everything in front of the engine firewall was... the whole car. So we arrived at the Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick.

BMW was somewhat aggrieved by this, and saw in the M1 an opportunity to settle some scores. So a Group 5 version was developed to kill Moby Dick using newly-written FIA provision for 'special production' cars with no minimum production volume.

So, yes, the M1 is a Group 5 car by the rules that existed in 1981.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The real gripe about the M-1's (in group 5 guise) is that they seem to be inherently more stable, lower and quicker than their 'stock' counterpart offerings -- So if you need to be fair, run your Group 5 Class from 1976 -80. (If you also include IMSA cars, this will be a bit of stick -but you can always just ban the M-1 --kind of like the Mosler....!)

Steve C.

Keeping Group 5 Alive --in 1/32 Scale!!

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Then there's the fact that I crumble under the pressure when out in front and usually deslot myself anyway..lol
And like you say, I don't think the M1 is hugely better, I did just as well with my BMW 320 few week ago.
My M1 & 320 both have Wheel inserts thanks Nick, I adore the BBS mesh wheels on the Group 5 cars :thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Which BBS Inserts are we talking about??

I guess our club's problem may have stemmed from the fact that the 3 'fast' guys all chose M-1's for Group 5 - and, as they aren't huge historic race fans, they didn't do cause they liked the liveries!!! I'm really wanting to do a conversion with 3D chassis on one of the Monogram 320i's. And don't forget, if you like the Vailliant liveries, check out 132MTR (Milan) and LeMans Decals on ebay - you can run a lot of different 935's!

Steve C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts